NCD: Zilla Fatbaby with EVM speaker

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by BlueX, Apr 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM.

1. BlueX

BlueX Member

I bought a custom made speaker cab from Zilla Cabs in the UK: Fatbaby (1x12) with so called Three Piece Back (can be used as both closed or open back), delivered unloaded but prepared for an Electro-Voice EVM12L Classic speaker (which I bought new and installed). It has an all-black "stealth" design, with Croc tolex. It looks really cool, almost like a living thing.

The sound of this cab and speaker is just great. Amazing bass (with 6 string guitars, 9-42 and 10-46 strings ), and really transparent, solid, and focused sound throughout the entire register. I listened to some demos before deciding on the EVM, and it is just as good as the reputation (Some vintage EVM's sound even better than the new ones, but let's "see" how this sounds in 10-15 years).

Good option to have both closed or open cab. It was interesting to be able to do the direct comparison. Not the cheapest cab, but excellent sound and very versitale.

The cab is 62x47x26 cm (24 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 14 "), and the unloaded cab weighs 17,5 kg (40 lbs). Very solid and well built. The speaker itself weighs almost 9 kg (20 lbs).

I currently feed this cab with a DSL20HR, so I am nowhere near the 200W rating of the speaker (I might make an appointment with the fortune teller that Old Punker met, to ask her if there will be any stronger Marshall amps in my future).
    Fatbaby and EVM12L b.JPG Fatbaby closed back b.JPG Fatbaby open back b.JPG Fatbaby sidefront b.JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 2:00 AM
    adew1, jmp45, Geeze and 5 others like this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I have a Zilla cab with a removable back panel. I picked it up in person and had a good chat with the man himself. Really nice guy and excellent products.

SkyMonkey and BlueX like this.
  4. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Love me some oversized 1x12 cabs! I’ve recently discovered how much better i like the sound of one speaker being pushed hard instead of multiple speakers barely working.

5. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Damn , that thing is huge. Very nice , I like the speaker King Kong (speaker )vs Godzilla! (Cabinet)

SkyMonkey and BlueX like this.
  6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Great cabs from Zilla.
    I have a Compact 112 that I found unloaded 2nd hand.
    The only thing with it is the back is open.
    I have wondered how much Zilla would charge for just a closed back panel.

BlueX likes this.
  7. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I built a version of their Fat Baby for an EVM12L and I like it better than the TL806 cab - much more girth on the low end.

Russ

SkyMonkey, BlueX and Dogs of Doom like this.