NCD: 1965B 4x10 (Full stack)

Fernieite

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that another local 1980s Marshall 4x10 has been acquired. ;)

This one has a side handles style that I haven't seen before. They are a medium size 8 screw type. I've seen the 4 screw small style quite often, and the large 6 screw occasionally, (like my slant 1965A has ) but never this medium size 8 screw version. I'll post photos later today.

Here's a quick couple of shots from yesterday, after I got it home. I may replace the grill cloth (and store it with the 1965A black cloth) with reissue large check, like before; but I'm on the fence about that. Might just leave it as is.

up.jpg ups.jpg

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
What a cute "little" stack! With the right handles, you could carry the whole stack in one trip, one in each hand! 34-ish pounds is fabulous! And they sound great too. I hope that Traynor has a 4 ohm ouput?

FWIW, I'd personally go ahead and "check" that "B" box to match the "A" box!

Great score, congrats!

Happy NCD,
Gene

Fernieite

Reaction score
What a cute "little" stack! With the right handles, you could carry the whole stack in one trip, one in each hand! 34-ish pounds is fabulous! And they sound great too. I hope that Traynor has a 4 ohm ouput?

FWIW, I'd personally go ahead and "check" that "B" box to match the "A" box!

Great score, congrats!

Happy NCD,
Gene
Thanks Gene. Yeah, they're a manageable size and sound great. The Marshall ads aptly named them "Compact Stacks"
Btw, why do you say 34 lbs? Mine weigh about 46 lbs.

The Traynor is 8ohms, but the 4ohm stack won't hurt it a bit. You should see the size of the output tranny! :flex:

65 yba top chassis - resize.JPG

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Nice cab inside and outside.

Never seen these handles b4 but
i would say its original.

My 65B is from about 86 and has
the small common handles.

Always nice to see the older cabs inside
without all the black gunk glue or black
overspray.

This company really slackened off by
the 90s. Just look inside the cabs.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Thanks Gene. Yeah, they're a manageable size and sound great. The Marshall ads aptly named them "Compact Stacks"
Btw, why do you say 34 lbs? Mine weigh about 46 lbs.

The Traynor is 8ohms, but the 4ohm stack won't hurt it a bit. You should see the size of the output tranny! :flex:

View attachment 104321

Mine is a "B" box that weighs in at 34 pounds and many folks confirm similar for the "B" boxes. You could either confirm or deny, but the "A" box looks to be a tad taller? Maybe that accounts for the extra 12 pounds? Or maybe extra wood for the "faux" slant adds weight?

I don't recall ever checking the date codes on mine, but the handles are standard Marshall style toilet paper holders. I must say that I don't recall handles like yours on any product made by Marshall, but that means little!

Either way, enjoy your fabulous stack! I'll bet it sounds great!

Just Speakerin'
Gene

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I remember getting one of my best sounds
with my 65b and a Laney AOR. The Volume
on the Amp was about halfway up as the
distortion turned silky. I experienced this effect
only a couple of times with totally different
setups and different surroundings.

Great cabs, great speakers.

Fernieite

Reaction score
Another detail about my new 1965B cab - It looks like it used to have one of those rectangular logos on the bottom left of the cloth. I don't remember ever seeing one of those on a 1965B before.

Both cabs are the same size, (width and height) the 1965A is 10" deep on the top, whereas the 1965B is 12" deep on top. Both are 12" deep on the bottom, and weight the same.

65b logo.jpg

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Looks FANTASTIC! :cheers: Now you just need an SV20H or SC20H (with grill cloth to match) plopped on top to complete the visual!;)
Just Speakerin'
Gene

Paul McShartney

Reaction score
Congrats on the new cab man, looks great man with the fresh tolex!

Gotta ask but now that you have both, do you find the newer 90's labeled g10l to sound any different? Or is the label change purely cosmetic? 1965a cab came up in my area with the same speaker labels and large handles as yours. Serial is also in the 12000 but I haven't found much info on these later ones besides your post in another thread I saw.

Fernieite

Reaction score
Congrats on the new cab man, looks great man with the fresh tolex!

Gotta ask but now that you have both, do you find the newer 90's labeled g10l to sound any different? Or is the label change purely cosmetic? 1965a cab came up in my area with the same speaker labels and large handles as yours. Serial is also in the 12000 but I haven't found much info on these later ones besides your post in another thread I saw.

Thanks. It's a great sounding setup for sure.
No, I don't notice any difference in sound between the two. I think the G10L-35 sticker is the only thing that changed.