NBMD (new biotchin' map day) from the Green Room

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall JCM 800 SC20H
This was a decision based on some of your comments in this thread:
UPDATE: I forgot to mention - I got this through an amp trade between crossroadsnyc and myself. He's got my minty fresh 2013 Marshall Slash SL-5. It was something we had in the works for a long time, and now just happened to be the right time. Thanks Cross! :yesway:

It's pretty dark in the Green Room, so the pics aren't great, but you get the idea.

- Sitting on top of my Class 5 C110 cab, which is loaded with the 10" equivalent of the 12" V30, as recommended to me by some of you here last year.
- Below that is my main external cab, the Orange PPC112 - a V30-loaded 1x12.
- (I used to have Marshall and MESA full stacks, but I sold those long ago - taking too much space and I wasn't gigging enough then.)
- The JCM 800 SC20H smacks ass! Very aggressive, and so loud that I'm already going deaf after a day & 1/2 with the master on 3. But I can't help it - the louder it goes, the better it gets!!
- The tone of this amp is my dream tone - one which I haven't had at the end of my guitar cable since 1998 when I was using my JCM 800 2205 and 2210's live. I cannot turn this thing off, I just keep jamming and then giving my ears a break, repeat and rinse. It kicks serious Marshall ass!

Current settings:

Presence: 0
Bass: 7 (1:00)
Mids: 4 (10:00)
Treble: 2 (9:00)
Master: 3 (10:00)
Gain: 10

1653008994737.jpeg

Front-end:
SD-1 (currently using a Fulltone OCD, as it's a tad thicker, but either is good). The only reason I'm using a boost pedal in the front is for just enough extra push to get more sustain for solos. It pushes it just over the top to get blooming feedback notes.
Volume: 12:00
Gain: 8:00 (basically on 1)
Tone: 9:00 (smooths out the solos a bit)

Ass-end:
Decimator II noise gate > TCE Delay > TCE Reverb.

1653009367002.jpeg

I may try EQ's later, but right now I don't see the need.
The front-end hiss is very quiet, and what little there is, is easily silenced by the noise gate.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Marshall JCM 800 SC20H
It's pretty dark in the Green Room, so the pics aren't great, but you get the idea.

- Sitting on top of my Class 5 C110 cab, which is loaded with the 10" equivalent of the 12" V30, as recommended to me by some of you here last year.
- (I used to have Marshall and MESA full stacks, but I sold those long ago - taking too much space and I wasn't gigging enough then.)
- The JCM 800 SC20H smacks ass! Very aggressive, and so loud that I'm already going deaf after a day & 1/2 with the master on 3. But I can't help it - the louder it goes, the better it gets!!
- The tone of this amp is my dream tone - one which I haven't had at the end of my guitar cable since 1998 when I was using my JCM 800 2205 and 2210's live. I cannot turn this thing off, I just keep jamming and then giving my ears a break, repeat and rinse. This thing kick serious Marshall ass.

Current settings:

View attachment 108203

Front-end:
SD-1 (currently using a Fulltone OCD, as it's a tad thicker, but either is good). The only reason I'm using a boost pedal in the front is for just enough extra push to get more sustain for solos. It pushes it just over the top to get blooming feedback notes.

Ass-end:

View attachment 108206

The front-end hiss is very quiet, and what little there is is easily silenced by the noise gate. But there is some audible hum when it's out of Standby. It doesn't get louder when I change the Master, and IIRC, it's pretty common for 80's Marshalls. I figure it's transformer hum, since the noise gate doesn't touch it.
Congratulations, and good choices on those loop pedals. As for the hum, since you said it doesn't change with the master, I'd check your loop cables and/or pedal power supplies. If the hum disappears when you bypass the loop, it's something plugged into the loop.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Marshall JCM 800 SC20H
UPDATE: I forgot to mention - I got this through an amp trade between crossroadsnyc and myself. He's got my minty fresh 2013 Marshall Slash SL-5. It was something we had in the works for a long time, and now just happened to be the right time. Thanks Cross! :yesway:

- The tone of this amp is my dream tone - one which I haven't had at the end of my guitar cable since 1998 when I was using my JCM 800 2205 and 2210's live. I cannot turn this thing off, I just keep jamming and then giving my ears a break, repeat and rinse. This thing kick serious Marshall ass.

Current settings:

View attachment 108203

Front-end:

Ass-end:

View attachment 108206

The front-end hiss is very quiet, and what little there is, is easily silenced by the noise gate. There is some audible hum when it's out of Standby. It doesn't get louder when I change the Master, and IIRC, it's pretty common for 80's Marshalls. I figure it's transformer hum, since the noise gate doesn't touch it.
That looks good congrats , I wonder how it sounds ?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

You’re welcome, but really, thank you! This was a great trade for the both of us! HNAD!!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
HNAD to both of you!

I’ve gotta give Vin credit, in that the amp showed up packed professionally, and when taken out of the box, it might as well have been 2013. Not a single mark or even a speck of dust from what I can tell. It’s literally like getting a brand new out of the box amp. It even has that new shine to it. Maybe a good time to point out that he also included the blue/purple amp cover that his wife made for it. It’s actually incredibly well done.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, both of you guys sound very happy with the transaction, that's great. Congrats to both of you guys!

@Vinsanitizer, it sounds like you’re loving the SC20, I knew you would, what’s not to like.

I use an Sd1 too, as a clean boost though, drive on 0,… I see your running your Sd1 similarly with the drive on 1, is there a very noticeable difference on 1, or is it virtually the same tone?

I’ve had an Sd1 in the past before I bought my current one, I ended up returning it. It just wasn’t the sound I wanted, the drive tone wasn’t to my liking.

Then when I saw a video on the best way to use an SD1 AND a Tube Screamer with a Marshall, or really any overdriven amp. I think it was a Pete Thorn video.

He suggested using both of those pedals as clean boosts, drive on 0 for both pedals. Wha-la,… they sound great used that way! My ears just did not like the drive tone on either of these pedals.

So I bought another Sd1 to try that way, no gain from the pedal, and that’s the ticket! That’s how to use an od pedal in front of a Marshall imo.

So a shoutout to Pete Thorn for showing a better way to use od pedals that have really opened up the the amp! Using the amps drive rather than the pedals drive makes all the difference, to my ears anyway.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, both of you guys sound very happy with the transaction, that's great. Congrats to both of you guys!

@Vinsanitizer, it sounds like you’re loving the SC20, I knew you would, what’s not to like.

I use an Sd1 too, as a clean boost though, drive on 0,… I see your running your Sd1 similarly with the drive on 1, is there a very noticeable difference on 1, or is it virtually the same tone?

I’ve had an Sd1 in the past before I bought my current one, I ended up returning it. It just wasn’t the sound I wanted, the drive tone wasn’t to my liking.

Then when I saw a video on the best way to use an SD1 AND a Tube Screamer with a Marshall, or really any overdriven amp. I think it was a Pete Thorn video.

He suggested using both of those pedals as. Lean boosts, drive on 0 for both pedals. Wha-la,… they sound great used that way! My ears did not like the drive tone on either of these pedals, and neither did Thorn.

So I bought another Sd1 to try that way, no gain from the pedal, and that’s the ticket! That’s how to use an od pedal in front of a Marshall imo.

So a shoutout to Pete Thorn for showing a better way to use od pedals that have really opened up the the amp! Using the amps drive rather than the pedals drive makes all the difference, to my ears anyway.
I'm not much into pedals, but dry amps need some space and they need a noise gate. I tried distortion boxes decades ago, and they were just never my thing. Instead, I usually use a coupe of EQ pedals to boost mids and tighten lows. But I saw some good demos on the SD-1, and for $60 on Amazon, I snagged one. It's a good pedal, it can goose the front-end a bit to get more sustain for solos without much tonal coloration. I remembered that I also have a v1.7 OCD pedal too, so I tried that the same way and I like it better because it sounds just a bit thicker than the SD-1. Neither of those pedals sounds good with their gain controls cranked into a clean amp, not even the Blues Driver sounds good to me that way.

So yeah, pedals as mild boosters: Volume around 12:00+, gain up only 1 notch for a few extra harmonics. But if u go too far, the tone just turns to mush.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, and good choices on those loop pedals. As for the hum, since you said it doesn't change with the master, I'd check your loop cables and/or pedal power supplies. If the hum disappears when you bypass the loop, it's something plugged into the loop.
I experimented with the hum I was hearing. I removed the Marshall speaker cab, and now the head is sitting directly on top of the Orange cab. That reduced some of the hum. Then I realized if I move just a couple of feet further away from the amp with my guitar, it's almost completely gone. I also tested the speaker magnification field using an app, and it registered increasing speaker magnification in exact coordination with where the hum gets louder as my guitar gets closer. Interesting. Mostly then, it was a proximity effect.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
The amp has Marshall-branded JJ EL34's. What are the preamp tubes a rebrand of? Still just Chinese tubes? V1 has the pointy "star-shaped" plates, V2 & V3 have square plates with the rounded corners. What would be the difference in using the two kinds of plates?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I experimented about the hum I was hearing. I removed the Marshall speaker cab, and now the head is sitting directly on top of the Orange cab. That reduced some of the hum. Then I realized if I move just a couple of feet further away from the amp with my guitar, it's almost completely gone. I also tested the speaker magnification field using an app, and it registered increasing speaker magnification in exact coordination with where the hum gets louder as my guitar gets closer. Interesting. Mostly then, it was a proximity effect.
yeah, that's typical, when your pickups are too close to the transformers...

could be a lack of shielding on your guitar.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The amp has Marshall-branded JJ EL34's. What are the preamp tubes a rebrand of? Still just Chinese tubes? V1 has the pointy "star-shaped" plates, V2 & V3 have square plates with the rounded corners. What would be the difference in using the two kinds of plates?
Marshall found that J/J are more quiet, so they use them in V1. They also found that the Chinese tubes (Shuguang) are more robust & can handle the added current later on, in the circuit. So, to make the amp less noisy & more able to perform w/o failure, they do it that way...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I experimented about the hum I was hearing. I removed the Marshall speaker cab, and now the head is sitting directly on top of the Orange cab. That reduced some of the hum. Then I realized if I move just a couple of feet further away from the amp with my guitar, it's almost completely gone. I also tested the speaker magnification field using an app, and it registered increasing speaker magnification in exact coordination with where the hum gets louder as my guitar gets closer. Interesting. Mostly then, it was a proximity effect.
All good, but did you remove the pedals from the loop, or bypass the loop as I suggested? Cables and devices in the loop are a good place to pick up external hum.

Latest posts