Namm 2019

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Will be new amps/gear. You should see a teaser on their website after New Years.

The amp market is brutal right now. Amps that sell are $600 or less. Most retailers cant have $2000 amps sitting in inventory.

Marshall has a total different marketing plan than when Jim was still with us and that sucks.

2. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, but if they don’t do a low wattage Plexi and 800 with a loop, Marshall is just completely retarded. They would sell tons. Plus the circuits are there for the tweaking. If they want something new and affordable, revamp the old valvestates. Technology now could bring the valvestate to a whole new level.

3. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Cut the crap and give the goods. If they can make the DSL's so cheap they can make others too! I am saving up either for a 2525h or some kind of 800. Only time will tell.

4. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

The Origin was there low watt plexi. If you don't like it there is always the EL84 2061x.

Marshall still sells real JCM800s with a loop. They designed a modern variant to the JCM800 (called the Super800) but it never made production because of little interest from retailers. Also remember the JVM does 800 all day but can do much more than a 800.

It is the buyers from the retailers that pull the strings at Marshall now. Just saying retailers are not screaming for 2-3k 100 watt amps, they can't move them fast enough to justify the money they have tied up in them. Marshall is changing BECAUSE the market is changing. Jim did it for the love of the player, Marshall today does it to make the most profit they can.

Don't get it in your head that a 30watt amp would be half the cost of the 100 watt amp because it doesn't work that way.

The hottest amp retailers want today is the new BOSS Nextone amps selling at $400 and $600. I hate to say it but they are pretty darn good sounding amps too.

My advice to tone purists and Marshall purists is go find the old amps on the used market, they won't be making them like that anymore. 20 years from now your going to kick yourself in the balls knowing you could have bought a TSL 100 for $500 or a Vintage Modern for $600.

Its all going hybrid and digital.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m seriously getting ready to purchase a DSL20CR but I’m figuring I’ll wait till the new products, (if any), or upgrades, come out at NAMM 2019. :cool:

Mitchell Pearrow and Trident like this.
  6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I think the best thing Marshall could do is do something like the Synergy stuff. A 20 and 50 watt EL34 power amp head with a modular preamp. Sell the amps and preamps ( JTM, JMP, 800, DSL ) separately. Maybe even offer a digital modeling preamp.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  7. Javimart1212

Javimart1212 Member

I have it...its meh... self biasing...all lows and not so crisp...good for small skeleton practices and bedroom action I guess. The r series revamps not as good as the older series. I suppose for the saturated 10 watt mode it's ok.

8. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Active Member

I am hoping for a head like the size of the DSL20 but more for metal(high gain)

9. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Me too!

I like the DSL20HR, it sure is a lil tone monster...
    It has become my goto @ home and in the studio...
    If theycome out with something that size it will be a hit in my area thats for sure....
    I am noticing more and more alot of the gigging bands here are using smaller heads to get their tone..

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

You’re right. It’s reall ALL BEEN DONE! The market is saturated and changing. To release a new amp there has to be something new. I doubt they will release a UK made low watt JCM800. They did a 30W vintage amp line on Astoria. Fabulous amp....made in UK....new ideas.....and it bombed. People are aperently willing to give a Mesa, Friedman and others latitude but Marshall seems pigeon holed. Anyway, if they did a low watt 800 It will still be $1500 bucks. If the do something like that someday it will be made in Vietnam.

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You're right guys, this is exactly what I've been waiting for Marshall to make for a lot of years, a mini low watt (20w) 800 with loop, and it doesn't have to be necessarily cheap from the Orient, I will pay. I figured when they released the mini Jube we were gonna get more of that, release a different model mini amp each year, people would collect them all like the 50th anniversary 1 watts, a mini 800, JVM, JTM, etc. They did the DSL line this past year so there is hope, but if I don't see anything this coming NAMM I'll most likely be spending my money at Peavey, they seem to have a better idea what people want.

dptone5 and tce63 like this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

But what about the 2525 head? That was out of left field, I never heard anyone asking for that and it was very successful even at its price. I think there is hope for a UK 800.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. Michael Roe

I can play metal all day with my DSL 20HR with the gain knob set on about 5. Some guys say, "it's in your hands" :)

Mitchell Pearrow, BftGibson and tce63 like this.
  14. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Active Member

I also have a Peavey 6505MH and to me it's more of a metal amp than the DSL20......Yes the DSL can do metal but the Peavey does metal better(cuts better)....

15. Trident

Is that 6505 a cathode bias or does it have to be biased from time to time?
    I am not that familiar with that head.

16. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Active Member

The 6505MH has to be biased

Trident likes this.
  17. Michael Roe

Yeah, I had one of those Peaveys for a while. Not a bad amp, I just preferred the DSL over it. I sold it to a friend of mine and he really likes it. The key to guitar tone is get what works best for YOU. Your guitar, the pups and the speakers and cab ALL make a difference. I could change one of those pieces of gear and then like another amp better or worse.
    I thought the DSL 20 was pretty good when I first got it. Later down the road I picked up a Bogner 2x12 cab loaded with M65 Creambacks and now that little Vietnam DSL is my favorite :)

18. Trident

I agree on the DSL20, you pair that little beast with a cab with speakers that are quality and you have one badass little monster.... It sure does pack a punch with loud..:jam:

Mitchell Pearrow and Michael Roe like this.
  19. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Active Member

I agree 110%......What sounds good to me might sound like crap to you.....no one is right.....I have 2 Marshall 4x12's......1960 Lead and a 1960 Classic with 25W Greenbacks.The Classic w/GB's sounds warmer and deeper with both heads and they sound brighter with the Lead cab.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Mitchell Pearrow and Michael Roe like this.
  20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

It’s already been done perfectly in Friedman Dirty Shirley Pink Taco and even runt. I’d be surprised if Marshall could or would be willing to try to match that in a UK amp in quaity, tones, and price in a 20W UK amp. Not to mention the DSL20 and mini Jub. If you can’t find your 800 mini wet dream with one of the those I’m not sure how or why Marshall would satisfy the itch. Unfortunately for Marshall...they’ve now become just a “Me Too’” manufacturer in the genre they revoltioned. I was interested in a Marshall mini 800 five years ago. Now, they’d have to really break a new boundary. Possible? ........... sure. Likely, I’m not so sure. “Me too” products in competitive crowded markets usually fail. Marshall is clearly late to their own party.