NAD.....

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sat., I went down & picked up an Ampeg Portaflex PF-50T

PAUL3383 copy.jpg

50 watt tube amp, powered by 2- 6L6 tubes.

Haven't really run it through it's paces yet. I hooked it up to my Avatar 154 cab. Cool little amp.

Too bad Marshall doesn't make bass amp's... :shrug:

While not an SVT w/ NMV, being a little 50 watter w/ a MV, it actually delivers a nice little thump at low volume, which is what you'd want from a little practice amp. Some may say, this is a gigging amp, maybe small gigs, but, it'll be my bedroom amp...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That looks super cool with the transformers on top & the tubes in a cage!
HNAD :thumbs:
yeah, thanks - it's kind of a wannabe retro design... :)...

The old combo amp's, were made similar, & then people would attach them to a fliptop cabinet. The cab, the top piece was loose & would clamp down. When you played, you flip the head outwards. When you packed it up, you'd flip the top over, so the head was inside the speaker cabinet box.

While the old fliptops (portaflex) had bigger iron & were more stout, they didn't put out the wattage that this little guy does.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just bass...

I was tube rolling, to see what I could come up w/...

It's finnicky on tubes. I tried a 12bh7a ib the PI. I might put it back in, but, it seemed to add quite a bit of hiss... I swapped in some old 12ax7's & somehow, I ended up w/ some hum. So, I put the new ones that the guy I bought it off put in. He said a few hours on the tubes - he gave me the old tubes, from the guy that he bought it from (I'm 3rd owner apparently)

He loaded it w/ Tung-Sol tubes, except, he put a TAD 5751. Looking through my tackle box of tubes, I had a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 12ax7's from the '80s, that I bought when a company went out of business & I never tried them. They have the gold pins & a different screen print than the new ones. So, I plopped them in & put her back together...

She's quiet again. Easy to bias...

Last edited: