NAD: The PRS HDRX 20 has arrived!

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
As @jeffb and I suggested, look into a more vintage voiced Celestion to get the most of the amp.

You could pick up a Celestion Greenback G12M25 reissue for around $80 to $100 used. For the price of the matching PRS 1x12 I'd recommend just finding an unloaded 1x12 cab and getting a quality Greenback voiced or influenced speaker for a lot less. I almost bought the matching 1x12 but found a nice real plywood (not MDF) 1x12 cab and a Scumback H55-PVC for a lot less than the PRS cab. The PRS cab does come with a Vtype which will definitely be a step closer towards the Greenback.

I have an old 80s white label G12M70 that I tried with the HDRX 20 for fun. The G12M70 reminded of the T75s I had in my 1960A and just didn't pair well with the HDRX. It sounded decent clean but very bright and sharp... Anyways, speaker speaker speaker!! It's not your hot pickups, plexis sound great with hot pickups, your roadblock are the T75s. Dont get me wrong, the T75s aren't bad speakers at all but not the best match for a plexi voiced amp... I spent years ignoring speakers and chasing amps, pickups, guitars... Everything but speakers. The speakers are the voice of your amp and tone, it's the part of the chain that actually produces audible sound, speakers are very important.

Just trying to share some wisdom I overlooked waaay too long and spent way too much money going in circles.

*edit*

Here is a great comparison of most of the current Greenback voiced speakers. I will also add the Mojotone Watchtower is another option that isn't listed in the video I believe.

Also, the HDRX 20 is based on the Superleads Hendrix had modded by "West Coast Organ and Amplifiers" in 1969 prior to Woodstock etc etc. I believe you can even see the "West Coast" stickers on the back of his amps even at the Isle of Wight which means he was using them until his passing in 1970. Jimi was a notorious user of G12H25 55hz cones in his "100" logo cabs and by 1969 he was often using G12H30 55hz with the West Coast modded Superleads... Anyways, you can't go wrong with any Greenback or Greenback inspired speaker with a plexi voiced amp ala the HDRX 20.

awesome info, thanks!

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
As @jeffb and I suggested, look into a more vintage voiced Celestion to get the most of the amp.

You could pick up a Celestion Greenback G12M25 reissue for around $80 to $100 used. For the price of the matching PRS 1x12 I'd recommend just finding an unloaded 1x12 cab and getting a quality Greenback voiced or influenced speaker for a lot less. I almost bought the matching 1x12 but found a nice real plywood (not MDF) 1x12 cab and a Scumback H55-PVC for a lot less than the PRS cab. The PRS cab does come with a Vtype which will definitely be a step closer towards the Greenback.

I have an old 80s white label G12M70 that I tried with the HDRX 20 for fun. The G12M70 reminded of the T75s I had in my 1960A and just didn't pair well with the HDRX. It sounded decent clean but very bright and sharp... Anyways, speaker speaker speaker!! It's not your hot pickups, plexis sound great with hot pickups, your roadblock are the T75s. Dont get me wrong, the T75s aren't bad speakers at all but not the best match for a plexi voiced amp... I spent years ignoring speakers and chasing amps, pickups, guitars... Everything but speakers. The speakers are the voice of your amp and tone, it's the part of the chain that actually produces audible sound, speakers are very important.

Just trying to share some wisdom I overlooked waaay too long and spent way too much money going in circles.

*edit*

Here is a great comparison of most of the current Greenback voiced speakers. I will also add the Mojotone Watchtower is another option that isn't listed in the video I believe.

Also, the HDRX 20 is based on the Superleads Hendrix had modded by "West Coast Organ and Amplifiers" in 1969 prior to Woodstock etc etc. I believe you can even see the "West Coast" stickers on the back of his amps even at the Isle of Wight which means he was using them until his passing in 1970. Jimi was a notorious user of G12H25 55hz cones in his "100" logo cabs and by 1969 he was often using G12H30 55hz with the West Coast modded Superleads... Anyways, you can't go wrong with any Greenback or Greenback inspired speaker with a plexi voiced amp ala the HDRX 20.

I've got an old 4 x 12 cab, no name ....I haven't tried that yet...I'll open it up see what it has inside...may just buy the a green back speaker and put it in that and unhook the other speakers. I do really like that PRS cab since it matches and the V speaker sounds good to my ears. decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Latest posts