*** NAD - The #2 O 50!!! ***

Neptical

Reaction score

Welp, you guys were right!! The Origin 50(h) is here... and let me say - WHAT A SMOKIN' AMP! It's absolutely different than what I'm used to with my JCM 2000 DSLs ( 50 & 100), JCM 900 SL-X 2500, 3315 and 3210s in the most RADICAL way.

I can't believe I held out this long. It annihilates for having those glassy cleans while being SO FAT under the fingertips...OR can get VERY Bassman-ISH. Take your pick - SO many tones are in this beast. I have mine set up with little gain and hitting the front end with an SD-1 juicing a RAT. Don't be fooled, the amp EATS pedals and still shows it's true colors.

I can't believe how high I can run the Treble on this beast and I LOVE IT. Typically, I'm a ZERO Treble and cranked Presence guy. I get more of the chewy bite from my pedals. I love THAT tone for a Marshall, but this is in another class all on its own!

Low power is phenomenal as it really tightens up the amp. High power gives it a little more sag but I can't pick one over the other. They're both fun to use! TILT is awesome which gives me some really nice presence and clean bite. The pull Boost gets SUPER wooly and as I've read, "flubby" as well. I agree. It's useable, but I haven't experimented much with it just yet.

[ Edit:] WITH the SD-1 and RAT II in tandem , it gets HUMONGOUS. Crank the Volume ( or to your surrounding ability) and use the Gain for volume. If it gets too wooly, loose or SAGGY, play with the TILT and PRESENCE. Best controls to TIGHTEN the amp to your liken. Add LOW OUTPUT which will also TIGHTEN your tone.

Anyways, I could go on all night. Thanks for ALL the tips and info here from the Marshall fam. I can NOW see what the attraction is for those old classic Marshall tones. I think I might have a good taste for it now. Yeah baby!

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score

Welp, you guys were right!! The Origin 50(h) is here... and let me say - WHAT A SMOKIN' AMP! It's absolutely different than what I'm used to with my JCM 2000 DSLs ( 50 & 100), JCM 900 SL-X 2500, 3315 and 3210s in the most RADICAL way.

I can't believe I held out this long. It annihilates for having those glassy cleans while being SO FAT under the fingertips...OR can get VERY Bassman-ISH. Take your pick - SO many tones are in this beast. I have mine set up with little gain and hitting the front end with an SD-1 juicing a RAT. Don't be fooled, the amp EATS pedals and still shows it's true colors.

I can't believe how high I can run the Treble on this beast and I LOVE IT. Typically, I'm a ZERO Treble and cranked Presence guy. I get more of the chewy bite from my pedals. I love THAT tone for a Marshall, but this is in another class all on its own!

Low power is phenomenal as it really tightens up the amp. High power gives it a little more sag but I can't pick one over the other. They're both fun to use! TILT is awesome which gives me some really nice presence and clean bite. The pull Boost gets SUPER wooly and as I've read, "flubby" as well. I agree. It's useable, but I haven't experimented much with it just yet.

Anyways, I could go on all night. Thanks for ALL the tips and info here from the Marshall fam. I can NOW see what the attraction is for those old classic Marshall tones. I think I might have a good taste for it now. Yeah baby!

It’s just a great ‘old school’ sounding Marshall amp simple as that . It’s not a plexi exactly, or an 800 or whatever it’s an Origin . It doesn’t need modding either as some suggest it sounds fantastic standard , particularly with a good boost pedal or two . I’m fact my approach is very similar but using a buxom boost into a rat , sounds glorious.

Neptical

Reaction score
@steveb63 Thank you my friend! It's an absolute blast to play! \m/

@fitz288 Thanks man! Y'know, I've just always just been attracted to those good ole JCM tones. These tones are just in a league all on their own. Granted, there are other HUGE factors that are truly helping a TON:
1.) A straight V30 Soldano 4x12- very musical sounding cab.
2.) My maple neck Strat equipped with a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
3.) And of course my ALL TIME FAVORITE Boss SD-1 which is pushing the RAT ( low gain, high filter) . I've EQ'd the amp to the pedals. Menacing. These amps can ABSOLUTELY do just as much Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, etc as any other amp of mine.

@J.LaGrassa Thank you! Absolutely correct, it sounds HUGE! Have a lot of fun with your BIG O 20! Years of fun coming with that awesome amp.

@C-Grin Thank you tons!

@Rocktane Thank you! Yes, you need to try one of these amps ... today. :hbang:

@Mitchell Pearrow Thank you for encouraging me even further on such FANTASTIC tones. You, sir, have great taste in tone. Thanks again for huge contribution to the best Marshall fam. Enjoy your BIG O's as well my good dude!🤟🤟🍺🍺

@scozz Thank you my good friend! Absolutely UNREAL tones so I'm pretty ecstatic! Maybe it's similar to..finding a long lost friend?🤔 Lol

@Ufoscorpion Thank you! There's NO WAY this amp needs ANY modding. Not even tube changes. Straight out the box, it's ready to pummel and melt face. As you've said, a good OD/Dist combo is all you need.

@-BOOGIEMAN- Thank you! That's so true for what you're getting out of these amps. These amps appear to be misunderstood. It's all in the internal AND external EQ'ing. 😉

Ps. 37

Reaction score
It annihilates for having those glassy cleans while being SO FAT under the fingertips...OR can get VERY Bassman-ISH.
Exactly what I was looking for when I purchased O50 head about a year and a half ago.

Still incredibly glad I did.

I put a 12AY7 in V1, and I use the BD2 when I want to give it as much snarl as I like, and it continues to be one of the most satisfying purchases I've made.

Congratulations on your O50 and enjoy in good health. :)

Neptical

Reaction score
@solarburnDSL50 Thank you my good brethren. Some of the best riff writers right there! Matter of fact, was JUST playing Screaming For Vengeance like 20mins ago. 🤟🤟

@Ps. 37 Thank you! Glad to hear you're totally digging yours just as much as when you bought it. Love to hear the honeymoon NEVER ends with a Marshall. 🍺

@lespaul339 Thank you! I'm STOKED!

@-BOOGIEMAN- Not at all! I dial the amp TO the SD-1/RAT combo ( always on ) so I put in some of that THUNDAH bass. The amp cleans up SUPERB with my maple neck HSS Strat(s) while sounding HUGE.

@Mrmadd It sure is a good one! Maybe.. one of the best amps in the herd.🙂 Glad you're digging yours just the same!

C-Grin

Reaction score
Yeah, I use an eq to boost some of those lower frequencies that get lost using the SD1 especially at lower volumes which works for me. In a band setting I probably wouldn’t mind or notice the loss.
:nutkick:
Fair enough, I see the SD-1 or the Tube Screamer kind of like a pedal to fix the lost in the mix problem. Can’t be heard hit the SD1, now your getting through.