NAD - SV20H

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FleshOnGear, Sep 11, 2020.

1. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Hey, folks! This is my first post in a few years. Just got a new Studio Vintage. So far I'm loving it. It's my first non-master, my first 4-hole, and I'm quickly learning that I need an attenuator!

Seriously, it can't be played at bedroom volume. Or anyone home volume. Obvious, I know. The treble channel volume comes on too quickly to even dial in a quiet clean tone. EDIT: it can be played at bedroom volume if you’re careful with pedals.

The other thing I'm noticing is that my go-to distortion pedal sounds a bit harsh until I can get the treble volume up pretty high. I'm thinking this might be from the bright cap. I'm considering pulling it, or wiring a resistor in series. I just got this amp, though, so I don't want to jump into modding it right away.

I'm having the most fun playing it straight in with the treble volume cranked and the normal volume around 2/3 up. Turing the bass down to about half tightens it up but leaves a good punch to the tone. I need to plug my Tony Iommi treble booster into it, and I'm also looking forward to rolling tubes, but my wife is always home, working remotely.

Anybody have attenuator recommendations? I've owned a Weber Mass before, and I didn't like what it did to the low end punch of the amp I was using at the time. There are so many more choices these days. Anyway, thanks for reading. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

3. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Congrats!

If you want to pull the bright cap its fairly straight forward and sits on a breakout board by the volume pots. I tried it on mine and to my ears it just sucked all the life and magic out of the amp so I put it back. YMMV!

The Weber Mini Mass works really well for me!?

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your new amp brother
    They are stellar aren’t they ??

FleshOnGear, T.J. and junk notes like this.
  5. FleshOnGear

Yeah, I don’t want to neuter the amp. I thought maybe wiring a resistor in series with the cap might split the difference and keep enough of the natural attack.

_Steve likes this.
  6. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD, congrats to a fantastic amp, but a little loud :)

Get a Weber Mini Mass 50, works perfect for me and not to much money.

Cheers :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  8. mustafa

mustafa Member

If you are getting your gain from your distortion pedal, try the low normal input instead of high treble.

for the attenuator, I got the Weber Mini Mass too but if you take the volume down to bedroom levels with the attenuator sound becomes loose and muffled. Sweet spot is still high in volume. So at home I am using the amp on the edge of break (normal channel) and getting the gain from pedals. I use a JHS Little Amp Box in the loop to cut the volume a bit. Not ideal but I get better results then the attenuator.

FleshOnGear and Biff Maloy like this.
  9. FleshOnGear

So far I’m playing the amp with the channels jumpered. I think the normal channel is too dark on its own. I like the idea of using the amp box in the loop - that will let me turn up the volumes but keep the sound pressure low.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

You could possibly do that, or simply change the cap value (100-250pf are popular values). Its the same circuit as the 1959/1987 so lots of info available on the web.

11. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Wife works 100% from home during the week. I do get some crank time though but for low volume use i do what Mustafa said. I plug into the low normal input. Yeah it's bassy by nature but use the controls to balance some of that out. When mine is set it sounds like I'm using a compressor. I use my Boss SD1W for grit. I have the gain about maxed on It but all together it gets a bright attack similar to the amp up loud to me. A lot of plexi discussion in the bright cap mod but there's a lot of versatility in this circuit i advise against that. Especially if you are leaning towards an attenuator. The bright cap is there for a reason. With the amp cranked that part becomes a huge signature.

Ive had mine a couple of weeks. When i turn up loud though I've come to the conclusion it needs nothing pushing it. My setup has really come together the last couple of days. Gibson R7 Goldtop Les Paul and a 2x12 2061CX.

Congratulations on attaining a fine amp.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

No attenuator necessary, I use a JHS volume box in the loop and am very happy. :yesway:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  13. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Barber Direct Drive Compact sounds like my SV cranked. Best OD I've heard.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing with the SV...don’t go cutting a bright cap or anything crazy like that. The SV is perfect right outta the box. The bright cap serves a purpose.

You WILL be happy with a Weber Mini Mass 50 and a patch cable to jump with. Problem completely solved for less than $200 bucks and a short wait time for the attenuator.

In the mean time, please keep your wire cutters in the tool box.

15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s a 20w non master volume tube amp, it’s gonna be loud. Pick up a modeler or a practice amp for when the missus is home IMO. The Waza TAE is fantastic but it costs as much as that amp.

FleshOnGear and tce63 like this.
  16. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i have a older mini that i cant complain about. good gear.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

aaaaaand just where in the hell have you been Mr. ?
    and congrats on the new amp.

18. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I use a hot plate with mine. Only use the first level of attenuation, if I use it at all. I use a Maxon 808 OD. Sounds awesome. I use a delay in the loop, the OD in front, I patch the channels and turn the volume on both high. I’m really happy with the amp. I had two 100W SLP amps and they were just too much amp.

I played it Monday for an hour in 20W mode. I’ve also used the low power mode which is very usable.

19. FleshOnGear

Haha, chasing other tone obsessions is the short answer. I have a bit of a one track mind.
    I appreciate the advice, Shane, but I went ahead and modded the bright cap. I’m very happy with the result. The cranked tone is still awesome, and I’m getting better sound at low volume with my distortion pedal.

Btw, Does anyone know if this amp is cathode biased? I didn’t see a bias pot inside.

20. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Except for your brand of attenuator and that I use the Reissue 808, this is just about exactly how I run my SV. For rock and classic rock I have yet to find a better sounding rig.