NAD: Studio Vintage SV20H

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by C-Martin, Oct 2, 2021.

1. C-Martin

C-Martin Member

After half a year of waiting it finally arrived! I don’t post often but I just had to post about this because I’ve been wanting one of these since they came out.

Back when I first started playing I dreamed about the 1959 Super Lead because all my favourite guitar inspirations rocked one and the tones they had is what got me into guitar in the first place. The 100 Watt glass chattering monster just wasn’t realistic for me, so for years I dodged the tone I really wanted, chasing it by using pedals and all kinds of trickery to try and get close to the tone in my head. I love all the tones I’ve discovered over the years, and I regret nothing of my journey, but fast forward to when the SV20H came out and I tried one straight in with no pedals and that was IT. I have a JTM45, which I really like, but it’s just not the same. There’s just something this EL34 noise machine does that gets me all inspired. By the time I had saved up enough money, they were all sold out so I had to have one ordered. Pandemic and all made getting one a very long process, but it is finally here!

My only concern was if it was loud enough for a loud band, but after a lot of research it seems everyone says it is. If not then I thought I could always try to link it with the JTM45. I bet that could sound kick ass. I do have 2 Marshall 4x12 :D

upload_2021-10-2_18-20-11.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats on the NAD! It's cool when we get gear that inspires!

3. BlueX

BlueX Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

HNAD! The one who has to wait for something desirable always waits too long. Glad your waiting is over, and that it hits bulls eye. Play it loud and proud!
    From a fellow, satisfied SV20H owner.

4. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new SV20H! :applause::applause::applause:

There are multiple people clapping because you had to wait so long. I have the SC20H which covers most of my tonal needs, but now that I'm venturing more into classic rock, I really wouldn't mind a mini Plexi too! Between the SC and the SV, those two cover most of the music that I ever listened to in my youth.

My tone journey was similar to yours. I really couldn't justify a big 100W Marshall to play at home or the occasional jam, so I got a 50W Mesa (with a selectable 5W mode) and dialed in a lot of great tones, but I could never quite dial in the Marshall tone. I also waited for a long time until Marshall came out with the Studio series. Luckily I ordered my SC20H and 2x12 cab before the supply ran out. It arrived about 1 week after I ordered. Now they are near impossible to get around here and $500 more for the head and cab!

I would be shocked if your SV20H isn't loud enough to gig, especially with your 4x12. Enjoy your beautiful new Marshall! :rock:

wntbtw, Mark Collier, mad5066 and 4 others like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD, Congrats :applause:

The SV20H is the best amp I ever played

Cheers :cheers:

6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Hnad!
    Sorry for the wait, I'm sure it will be worth it though!

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Congrat's, just trying to figure out if you actually have the amp "in hand", as you didn't really mention playing through it "at home".

9. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

HNAD when it gets in hand.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. C-Martin

C-Martin Member

I do have the amp in hand! I just edited my post with a picture of all its glory.

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

well then Hnad.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations
    HNAD
    Play that baby and turn it up !!
    Cheers
    Mitch

13. hpharley90

hpharley90 Active Member

congrats and HNAD.......

14. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

HNAD. A crapload of us waited months to get our SV20 in hand. It's a keeper and covers a lot of classic tones. Enjoy and turn it up!

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD, congrats!
    :cheers:

16. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

It's the bomb. As you probably already know by now.

17. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

HNAD! Post some clips or keep us posted on how you like it. Is it really loud as everybody says it is? Its on my bucket list. Enjoy it!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I can only imagine how your JTM45 and the SV20 would sound together, each dialed to their glory zones, each through their own cab, driven by a really great stereo chorus, set to subtly/barely audible effect! If there were an emoji or pic to describe it, it would be obscene! :naughty: I had an SV20 combo for a few weeks, used it mostly through my 1960B (though the installed 10" sounded great) and had to give it back, but it's on my list!
    HNAD,
    Gene

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Congrats man! It took me 5 months for mine to come in and that was 2 years ago! Enjoy it :yesway:

20. C-Martin

C-Martin Member

Thanks everyone! I’m really happy with it. It sounds amazing through my old 4x12 with greenbacks.

I have a pretty good collection of overdrives, boosts and fuzzes and went through most of them this weekend, but my favourite tone so far was the thing cranked and guitar plugged straight in! It works amazingly well with all pedals I’ve tried, but there’s just something about it played raw. I can’t quite put it into words, but it sounds gainy without being gainy, it kicks you right in the gut when you palm mute or hit a big chord hard. There’s a percussive nature that I love, very dynamic amp. There’s a lot of definition, it brings out everything in your playing. It really rewards you for playing things right, so it pushes you to play cleaner.

Some have said that it doesn’t have the low end it’s bigger brothers have, but I never felt the low end was lacking. Actually, the bass knob was the only one I was backing off a bit to sit well in the mix.

However, I should add that I wasn’t all that impressed with the volume it has. I was expecting it to be a little bit louder tbh. It was having a hard time keeping up with the band until I dialed it in, and by then there pretty much was no headroom left, it’s just running full bore. I’m a little worried I might run into issues down the line and may need to find a solution to gain a couple db. The tone is just beautiful though, it’s very inspiring to play. Perhaps I should’ve went with the 1987x, but then would that have been too loud?

NOT saying the amp isn’t loud. It is and the 5 watt mode is way too loud for any apartment or bedroom setup. It could be useful for bar gigs when your asked to turn down some but you still want to crank it for that saturation. I guess I’m just in the “play loud” gang :shrug: