[NAD] Silver Jubilee 2525h

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Marshall 2525H new s.jpg

Yeah I like the Studio series. I also have an Origin 50. I use Greenbacks or Creambacks with them.

Next are my Slash settings

Marshall 2525H slash big s.jpg
P 5
B 6
M 5.5
T 5
OM 6.5
LM 8
G 3

Next is the Pedalboard. This is the exact same one I use with my SC20h JCM800.

Marshal PB 2022 s.jpg

Most of those pedals worked great with the 2525 except for the Boss SD-1 and the sometimes the DD3 believe it not. Now I didn't really need the SD-1 with the 2525. It had all I needed for Slash in the dialing-in. The MXR Black Label Chorus is the exact same as an MXR Analog Chorus. It is fun to add that from time to time. The two knobs for bass and trebs at the off position (not seen in the image). I didn't add any WAH yet.

So was the Slash tone there? Yes, it was. Not with all the bells and whistles of a record production or maybe even its bigger 100W brother, but it was there and highly enjoyable. This amp sounds great. It might even be better sounding than the JCM800 (a bit of a one trick pony) and the Plexi, but they do their own thing.

So about the Boss SD-1. Is that suitable for the 2525 or is it an amp you use without an OD? What OD fits this amp?

This Marshall is unlike any other Marshall I have tried. It is not like the JCM800 or Plexi. It is something else sort of between a country-rock sounding amp (I played some ZZ Top and it sounded awesome) and a high gain amp, which is strange because I expected a medium gain like the others and to add an OD for overdriven tones, but the tones sounded overdrive enough to my ears when you dialed things up. That is my definition of a high gain amp anyway (no need for OD on one channel). So that was surprising, but maybe it's just me.

Forget the settings you see on the Boss EQ pedal. That was more like rolling off the high-end, some increase around 1khZ and the bass end at normal. That Talisman plate reverb sounds great with all the amps I have played it with. The DD3 I wasn't so crazy about with this amp. Not sure why as I thought it would also work with it.

This amp easily had more tones than the other Studio series. It has a way more sensitive EQ controls. There appears to be a boost to the bass as you dial past 6. It has lots of Marshall bottom end if you want it. Like the JCM800 sounding bottom end. It sounds like a Marshall but doesn't behave that much like one with those EQs and other controls.

I have other pedals I can swap out and try, but any suggestions are welcome. I am obviously not just going to play Slash with it. It seems this looks like my new go to Marshall amp for anything that is not using a Plexi or JCM800. I am expecting to cover a lot more tones with this than the others. At least those are my thoughts.

Overall, very happy, but still coming to terms with all the features with the push pull knobs.

I think that is the Studio series done for now. Took me a year to get all three. I had a DSL15 back in 2017 but sold it in 2020. I could never get a good tone from it. Maybe I needed to play more down tuned stuff with it, like C Standard or something.

Edit: You can skip all the soundcloud tracks on the other pages and listen to the below video instead. This was done on day 4. Direct to amp. No pedals. No microphone. Phone camera. I wanted to see if I could get a tone from the amp first that I liked. Today I was playing with a pedalboard and will mic it up later and do another video of another song.

Last edited:

Moony

Reaction score
And now the question of all questions:

If you could only keep one of the three - which one would you choose?

:D

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
when is the jtm45 gonna join the studio family? Lucky guy! Enjoy it!
I’ve wondered why there isn’t a 20w JTM45 but it only puts out 10 more watts than the studio series before breakup. I think all Marshall would need to do is put a half power or low watt switch and it’d be close enough to the studio series with headroom at least. A low watt switch and fx loop seems like all it would need

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
And now the question of all questions:

If you could only keep one of the three - which one would you choose?

:D
The Jubilee because of the tone and gain range. You can probably get close to Plexi and JCM800 tones with it. Way easier to dial in because you can hear a lot of changes as you sweep through them. Sort of clearer to hear. With the JCM you don't really hear the changes as much but they do change the tone, just a lot more subtle between numbers. I guess that is why it's hard to make it sound bad but you can certainly make it muddy with too much gain and volume. I can see why an EQ pedal opens up the JCM more.

Dialing the Plexi has more changes than the JCM but not nearly as much as the Jubilee.

If I want that Plexi tone (say Deep Purple or Hendrix), then it's the Plexi. If I want 80s thrash, it's the JCM800. However, I bet with the Jubilee I can get close to either one and do more. So on that front, if people wanted to play 70s through to 90s Marshall tones, the Jubilee appears to be capable of that. However, if you want an exact Plexi or JCM800 tone, then you go for the others. So the trade-off is that you can nearly get there with each with the Jubilee but not exact. Then comes the Jubilee's own set of tones. Yeah, it's the better amp, in this respect, IMO.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
when is the jtm45 gonna join the studio family? Lucky guy! Enjoy it!
It looks like a nice amp, but it's also a bigger one and has more weight. I like that these studios aren't heavy and fit on top of a 1x12.

What does the JTM45 do differently? Like which artists/bands would you be aiming for that?

And yeah, not a whole lot of difference in volume between 20W Studio and 50W Marshall. All louder than the loudest drummer in the room... just not louder than a 100W Marshall.

Moony

Reaction score
The Jubilee because of the tone and gain range.

Thank you very much!

You're findings match with those of quite a few others who have or had all 3 Studio amps.
And I find that very interesting considering the disappointment that some folks had when the Mini Jube was released.

I remember very well that many guys asked why no Mini 800 or Mini Plexi.
Marshall delivered them 3 years later and of course they sell a ton of these.

But the Mini Jubilee still has it fans!

Jubilant

Reaction score
After trying several overdrive pedals with my 2525 I ended up buying a good clean boost pedal and I think it works much better.As you said the amp has plenty of gain no need for an overdrive unless your playing metal.I’m a blues rock guy so the boost just adds a little more punch.Not even sure it needs it.The effects loop and eq are outstanding.The amp is very quiet without the overdrive pedal also replaced the tubes Mullard EL34 PT
VI-EH 7025
V2-Mullard 12ax7
V3-Mullard 12ax7
Settings
P 5
B 7
M 7
T 9
Om 8
Lm to taste
Gain 5 to 6
Love this amp it covers all the tones I need.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

You're findings match with those of quite a few others who have or had all 3 Studio amps.
And I find that very interesting considering the disappointment that some folks had when the Mini Jube was released.

I remember very well that many guys asked why no Mini 800 or Mini Plexi.
Marshall delivered them 3 years later and of course they sell a ton of these.

But the Mini Jubilee still has it fans!

I think the problem they have is that it has the appearance of a channel switching amp with a clean channel that equates to pedal taking with many medium-high gain amps, but neither of those really work out. I wouldn't call this a pedal taker (as in distortion boxes in front etc.) and the channel switching isn't really one unless you stick with one or the other. You basically get a second amp and dial that in different and switch between amps. So I can picture people buying these up with expectations that aren't met and then having to wait for people to do write-ups explaining how to use it. There is also the adverseness to solid state components some have (this has diodes). It might explain why the OD pedal in front doesn't seem as good as with all tubes. That's my guess but I could be wrong. It is a lot easier to just crank the Marshall SC20 or SV20 and get the cranked results that come out of them. This Jubilee is not like that at all.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
After trying several overdrive pedals with my 2525 I ended up buying a good clean boost pedal
Would the GE7 EQ pedal volume level do the same thing? I have one at the end of the input chain but there are no rules against having another at the start of the chain. Probably EQ at every step would be theoretically fine, just not efficient on a pedalboard.

What clean boost did you end up using? A Spark?

Jubilant

Reaction score
Earthquaker devices boost,also like the ep boost pedal.Never tried an eq in the front end
So I can’t say.I agree with you all the studio amps sound great, but overall I prefer the jubilee as well.I really like the lead master on the drive channel it let’s me crank the output master and regulate the volume with the lead master.No need for an attenuator.

Jubilant

Reaction score
On a final note,most people seem to prefer a variation of the V30.I prefer G12M greenbacks.I tried several speaker combo’s
V30,G12 heritage and eminence cannibus Rex.I landed firmly on the G12M greenbacks.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Earthquaker devices boost,also like the ep boost pedal.Never tried an eq in the front end
So I can’t say.I agree with you all the studio amps sound great, but overall I prefer the jubilee as well.I really like the lead master on the drive channel it let’s me crank the output master and regulate the volume with the lead master.No need for an attenuator.
I have EQD Arrows. Is that the one you mean? I also have an EQD Tone Job EQ.

eqd arrows.jpg

On a final note,most people seem to prefer a variation of the V30.I prefer G12M greenbacks.I tried several speaker combo’s
V30,G12 heritage and eminence cannibus Rex.I landed firmly on the G12M greenbacks.

I have a V30 in a 1x12 (Orange PPC112) and a Creamback in a 1x12 and I stack them when using the V30 for punch or bigger wattage amps. It sounds better in bigger spaces IMO. For smaller spaces, I use a 1x12 greenback. It just sounds a lot easier on the ears, warmer and smoother. I have the Eminence Cannabis Rex also. I find that if you aim for almost classical electric guitar, country and blues, that it works best there. I also have a swamp thang but that works best for 7 string guitars and high gain in downtuned tones, IMO.

My favorite speaker is definitely the Greenback/Creamback.

Jubilant

Reaction score
Yes,the arrows is the one I have.Sounds like we have similar tastes in equipment for sure.What style of music do you play?Do you play out at all? Last summer I had a gig at a larger outdoor venue and was wondering how the jubilee would do volume wise.The group I play with is on the larger size 6 to 7 of us.On the 20 watt setting master at 8 and lead channel at 6 I had no issues being heard.Thankfully we had a great sound guy and that helped a lot.

BLG

Reaction score
Regarding your SD-1 comment or question I record all of my left-hand tracks straight out of the amp and then use the SD-1 (with settings Level 9 Tone 10 Drive 0) on the right. Gives a great stereo sound. Learned this from Rick Beato.

Love my 2525! Oh - and I have e 2x12 with a Vintage in the bottom and a Greenback in the top.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Yes,the arrows is the one I have.Sounds like we have similar tastes in equipment for sure.What style of music do you play?Do you play out at all? Last summer I had a gig at a larger outdoor venue and was wondering how the jubilee would do volume wise.The group I play with is on the larger size 6 to 7 of us.On the 20 watt setting master at 8 and lead channel at 6 I had no issues being heard.Thankfully we had a great sound guy and that helped a lot.
We share the same tastes in good gear. :)

The answer to your question is that I play a lot of stuff plus or minus ten years around 1980 and the bands I like 'just happen' to be using mostly Marshall which ruled for a long time.

Deep Purple and Hendrix for late 60s and 70s, so that's the Plexi. Rainbow!!! All 80s thrash so that's the JCM800. 90s stuff I was using the JCM800 to push through but now I have this Jubilee which will fit the spot. I suppose at some point I need to consider a Mesa Rec for 90s stuff but I am holding off until things get sorted there with the tubes and of course, the price of the gear is very high which holds me back. Line6 Helix will have to do and Fortin Plugins. I recommend a plugin called AmpKnob RevC for that also. One knob but amazing.

I don't play out but that will change when things allow me the time to do that. Yes on the volume. These Studios with the low power stage setting do give the impression it's a Marshall for your home use, but as we all know, that's simply not going to happen if you want PT distortion and retain your hearing and love of neighbors. The only thing these amps have to compete with is another Marshall amp of 50W or 100W or whatever at those wattages that needs a cranked master for tone. I suppose that is another advantage of the Jubilee in that you don't have to be so loud to get the tones you want from it.