NAD PRS HDRX 20... Get Experienced!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
question for you guys...

how does the bass/treble volumes work?

are they active control boosts?

or, are they normal pot's, where 10 is wide-open & decreasing signal from there?

I just don't understand the concept, of having a volume, then treble volume & bass volume. (besides the tonestack tone control knobs)
They are two different voiced circuits in parallel and you blend them together as you like. They are not a "Boogie" situation or series circuit. On a four hole plexi, one would be for one pair of inputs and one for the other. The PRS and some others have the patch cord thing done internally.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
If the plexis are your bag the I guess the only other questions would be, (1) will 20 watts do it for you and (2) are you okay with no verb or fx loop. Because tonewise, this is REALLY the plexiest sounding plexi I've ever heard, probably because most of our idea of it is so heavily informed by Hendrix and the mods in his amps.
Yes, these are good questions. 20w is ok, even too loud. No reverb? Fuck me, I don't like any reverb, reverb sucks 99% of cases, unless you use it properly like Eric Johnson or post recording. A grandpiano, a violin and a sax doesn't need any reverb. But regarding the FX loop, probably I would miss it, some noise gate like the Decimator for example, work better on the loop rather than in front. But if the amp sounds better than a Marshall SV20, at that price the HDRX is a bargain.

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
Wow, helluva post! MINE ARRIVED TODAY!
First, sat it on my Mojotone 2x12 Lite British, loaded with two Mojotone Greenback style speakers. Cranked the master and eased up the pre volumes with the tones all fived. Sounded better with the bright switch on. The Mid gain switch (more on this later) was more like a Fender/Marshall switch than I've ever heard on an amp. Not real dramatic but not exactly subtle. It keeps going up and down. As I eased all the knobs up except the treble and presence and the Master down, it got way more "Wind Cries" and "May This Be Love" on the neck pickup tones, pretty much perfectly. Must be a great master volume design. And it does wonderful things with a JHS Haunting Mids, mimicking a larger cabinet with some more drive without losing definition in the bass or getting bitey on top. But try putting Hendrix completely out of your mind for a bit it, or what you think a Marshall should sound like at all, it just sounds SO RIGHT, like the amp you've always needed. I stopped before indulging fully on the other pickups, trying my 335 or using a delay. I've even paused with the reverb pedal I bought for my non-verb amps for that always on splash (I've been using an AC30C2 for 11 years; kind of addicted to that) just wanting to make friends with the amp. So far we're loving each other.
Mine gets here tomorrow, I'm excited to put it through it's paces.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Quick update!

Seems my luck ran out and the HDRX 20 has developed an intermittent loud hum. It only happens or the amp has been off and you turn it on and once the tubes warm up I get a LOUD 60hz hum that doesn't go away unless I turn it off and on again, sometimes takes 3 cycles of on and off the alleviate it plus it does it even with nothing plugged into the input. None of the controls affect it except touching the High Mid Gain switch would make the hum cut in and out too. I've also noticed tapping on the head affects it, makes the hum cut in and out but not permanently. It was shipped FedEx 🤮 and I wonder if it got banged around as both power tubes weren't seated all the way, pins were visible. The tubes I caught right away so it isn't that but I still removed and re seated every tube just to try... No luck. I've checked all my connections, checked the bias, different tubes, everything short of pulling the chassis which I won't do seeing as it's under warranty.

I have hope it maybe something silly but I worry it will just keep coming back and become worse. Right now it hasn't done it for the past 3 sessions. I hold out hope it maybe my apartment, it's so dry in here I constantly get static shocks. I also had a air purifier that works by static electricity to attract the dust. It was so bad I had to keep a dryer sheet near me to wipe my strat pickgaurd every 15/20 mins. Working in the automotive industry I know static and other little things can wreak havoc on electronics and send you it wild goose chases for weird ass problems.

So far today nothing but if it comes back I will just return it for a replacement... I can't even describe how much I love this amp!

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick update!

Seems my luck ran out and the HDRX 20 has developed an intermittent loud hum. It only happens or the amp has been off and you turn it on and once the tubes warm up I get a LOUD 60hz hum that doesn't go away unless I turn it off and on again, sometimes takes 3 cycles of on and off the alleviate it plus it does it even with nothing plugged into the input. None of the controls affect it except touching the High Mid Gain switch would make the hum cut in and out too. I've also noticed tapping on the head affects it, makes the hum cut in and out but not permanently. It was shipped FedEx 🤮 and I wonder if it got banged around as both power tubes weren't seated all the way, pins were visible. The tubes I caught right away so it isn't that but I still removed and re seated every tube just to try... No luck. I've checked all my connections, checked the bias, different tubes, everything short of pulling the chassis which I won't do seeing as it's under warranty.

I have hope it maybe something silly but I worry it will just keep coming back and become worse. Right now it hasn't done it for the past 3 sessions. I hold out hope it maybe my apartment, it's so dry in here I constantly get static shocks. I also had a air purifier that works by static electricity to attract the dust. It was so bad I had to keep a dryer sheet near me to wipe my strat pickgaurd every 15/20 mins. Working in the automotive industry I know static and other little things can wreak havoc on electronics and send you it wild goose chases for weird ass problems.

So far today nothing but if it comes back I will just return it for a replacement... I can't even describe how much I love this amp!
I know you reseated the tubes but tap on the power tubes even right next to them on the chassis and see if they knock back. I've had microphonic power tubes be noisy causing hum. I've had microphonics answer back by tapping anywhere on the amp including the head shell.

Is the amp cathode bias or fixed? Any rate you deserve a fully functional amp. Definitely get another if need be.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Yes, these are good questions. 20w is ok, even too loud. No reverb? Fuck me, I don't like any reverb, reverb sucks 99% of cases, unless you use it properly like Eric Johnson or post recording. A grandpiano, a violin and a sax doesn't need any reverb. But regarding the FX loop, probably I would miss it, some noise gate like the Decimator for example, work better on the loop rather than in front. But if the amp sounds better than a Marshall SV20, at that price the HDRX is a bargain.
If you have noisy fx, maybe. The amp itself is super quiet. I've had amps with crappy verbs but the AC30 I just gigged on for 11 years and the Twin for five years before that have excellent proper reverbs in them and I like a tiny splash on all the time. so I put a great sounding pedal straight in and it worked great. If I can get one more pedal out from between my guitar and amp, I do; and when using my VHT D50 the verb goes in the loop, my three standard pedals straight in.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've been down and out with a pretty annoying case of the flu, starting to have moments of energy and motivation tho. I got to look over my HDRX 20 and isolated my hum issue to the High Mid Gain toggle and Bright cap toggle. I could toggle either switch 2 or 3 times and introduce the hum but toggling another 2 or 3 times would eliminate the hum. So I toggled both switches back and fourth about 20 times and the problem hasn't returned nor can I introduce the hum like I could by using the toggles. I think there was either debris or just an incomplete connection in the switches which now has been resolved. I'm not too concerned anymore and have the peace of mind of PRS's 5 year warranty which is very excellent.

This amp is just a masterpiece, Paul and his team created such a fantastic design. It's Hendrix connection is just icing on the cake for Hendrix nuts like myself but the biggest accomplishment is creating a breath taking 20 watt plexi voiced amp with modern features and usability. The master volume is the best I've ever encountered, I am still blown away how beautiful and alive this amp sounds even at tv volumes. I have no issues playing it any time of day or night and achieving beautiful and seductive plexi tones.

I want to stress this isn't just a "Hendrix amp" and while it is heavily inspired by Jimi's West Coast moded amps, it does traditional plexi tones just beautifully at a flip of a switche. The bright cap toggle is such a useful feature on a plexi style amp as it can be very bright until you get the volume pushed but you can just toggle it how you prefer. I find the EQ a little more usable than a traditional plexi circuit, it still feels very familiar but just seems to have a little more control, a little more modern which I think is a wonderful design.

I also want to give a big shout out to Jim @Scumback Speakers for this beautiful H55-PVC that just pairs BEAUTIFULLY with the HDRX 20. Thank you Jim for your passion and motivation to bring us pre rola inspired speakers!

full

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I've been down and out with a pretty annoying case of the flu, starting to have moments of energy and motivation tho. I got to look over my HDRX 20 and isolated my hum issue to the High Mid Gain toggle and Bright cap toggle. I could toggle either switch 2 or 3 times and introduce the hum but toggling another 2 or 3 times would eliminate the hum. So I toggled both switches back and fourth about 20 times and the problem hasn't returned nor can I introduce the hum like I could by using the toggles. I think there was either debris or just an incomplete connection in the switches which now has been resolved. I'm not too concerned anymore and have the peace of mind of PRS's 5 year warranty which is very excellent.

This amp is just a masterpiece, Paul and his team created such a fantastic design. It's Hendrix connection is just icing on the cake for Hendrix nuts like myself but the biggest accomplishment is creating a breath taking 20 watt plexi voiced amp with modern features and usability. The master volume is the best I've ever encountered, I am still blown away how beautiful and alive this amp sounds even at tv volumes. I have no issues playing it any time of day or night and achieving beautiful and seductive plexi tones.

I want to stress this isn't just a "Hendrix amp" and while it is heavily inspired by Jimi's West Coast moded amps, it does traditional plexi tones just beautifully at a flip of a switche. The bright cap toggle is such a useful feature on a plexi style amp as it can be very bright until you get the volume pushed but you can just toggle it how you prefer. I find the EQ a little more usable than a traditional plexi circuit, it still feels very familiar but just seems to have a little more control, a little more modern which I think is a wonderful design.

I also want to give a big shout out to Jim @Scumback Speakers for this beautiful H55-PVC that just pairs BEAUTIFULLY with the HDRX 20. Thank you Jim for your passion and motivation to bring us pre rola inspired speakers!

full
Glad to hear that H55-PVC worked out so well for you! Enjoy!
Jim

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Congrats on tghe new amp!

Surprised Janie hasn't sued....
Thanks!

She won't sue because she's in on the deal. The HDRX 20 has the "Authentic Hendrix" branding.

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43932

Nice read loosely regarding this product.

(Old dribble for fellow Hendrix tonehounds.)
If anyone is curious about the back story or the finer details surrounding the amp the HDRX 20 is based on, this is a must read!

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Studio Jubilee isn't close enough? Toss an OD infront to cut some bass and boost the gain a bit
Studio jubilee sounds already like a dark amp with a cheap pedal inside, it sounds too dark. In fact between the three studio Marshall, I would take the SC20 or the SV20 over the mini jubilee any day. But a mini AFD would sound great, it's the most elusive tone, the glassiest, cuts like a knife even without a lot of gain. There are some attempts to make a mini afd, but the only convincing one I heard so far was this:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Very nice. I would have a question: How does it fuzz with a Dallas Arbiter FF? How does Octavio match with it?

While not deal breakers as you can always find alternative pedals to match the amp, those two pedals I think would sort of be important candidates for matching well with this amp... I hope. :)