scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats man, it’s always great getting new gear, nothing like it imo!

Enjoy in good health,…
:cheers:

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAD/NGD...Got a few deliveries to the house and this is the stuff that was inside the boxes. Yesterday was the Marshall head and was the last of them. I put pics at the bottom of the page in same order as descriptions.

1- Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+ : IR Loader, Cab Sim, DI Box, Clean Preamp
You use this with software called Torpedo Remote (not required) and it allows you to
connect to a computer or F.O.H. or other, and use cab sims instead of having to
connect to a cab. You can use endless cabs, change mic position (with more than
one mic and mic plenty of different types of mics). In order to use without a cab/
speaker load, you need a load box, which is one of the reasons I got the Captor 16.
You can also use tons of effects, like changing the space you are recording/playing
in, compressors, tube power amp you can change tube types with, tube preamp,
and so on and so on.

2- Marshall DSL100HR : I finally got one after owning several of the 40 watt combos and saying I would get one of these, I finally did it. Those are great
combos, but the head is on a whole nother level. Sounds killer with
my Invective cab with a V-30/Creamback speaker combo. This is just an amazing sounding amp that is versatile AF, but above all
sounds like a MARSHALL. I can't think of a more beautiful tone than
my Les Paul plugged into this. Just never gets old.

3-Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16 : Load Box, Attenuator, Cab Sim, Amp DI... Lets me crank my
amp up but play it at tolerable volumes that will keep me from winding up divorced, or play/record silently using studio
monitor headphones. A gift from the Gear Gods

4- REVV G3 Preamp/OD/Distortion Pedal : The best little dirt-box I've bought in a long time.
Mainly got this to put on my board and use with the
CAB M+ as the preamp when I need OD/dirt because
the CAB M+ is only a clean preamp. But I've already
found a bunch of other ways to use it too.

5- Line 6 Pod Go Wireless- This and the CAB M+ have blown me away and made me realize that the digital realm is no longer just a bunch of useless toys for
beginners who want to sound 1000 different ways and are happy to sacrifice good tone to do so, because they don't yet know what good tone is.... This thing is a F'n POWERHOUSE of tone man!! It blew me away, and is still doing so. Not a tube amp still, imho, but close enough for me to appreciate it, and to know it won't be
long before they do hit the nail on the head. The connectivity on this allows you to use it in tandem with your existing kit several different ways, or as a stand-alone (which it is plenty capable of). The cherry on top.... NO MORE CABLE tying me to my pedalboard and/or amp. I can walk anywhere in my house and play, and never trip over a cord again. Sweet.

6 - Seymour Duncan JB Jr. mini-humbucker- This is great. Put it in my Strat, and finally can use it for OTHER THAN clean tones. Paired up well with the SSL-5 set I already had in there. So now it's the SSL-5 neck & middle, and the JB Jr.
bridge. Another solid option from SD. Does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for checking out the new gear. If you have any questions, or maybe you have the same stuff and have some tips or suggestions on ways to use it, hit me up. Most of the rest of my gear is posted on my profile page. It's a work in progress. Eventually I'll get it all up here and organized.... somewhat....

View attachment 96745 View attachment 96746 View attachment 96747 View attachment 96748 View attachment 96749 View attachment 96750 View attachment 96751 View attachment 96752

Congrats on the haul!

I’ve got to +1 on the digital comments, I’ve got a Helix floor and my lead player has the PODgo, we both use Headrush 108 and they’re plenty loud and close enough to the real thing for gigging. And easier to haul/setup!

panoma

Reaction score
wow! congratulations! I am waiting to receive a Captor 8 for my SC20H....so hopefully I will be able to get the master over 3 with pre at 8 :) in my bedroom.....

Spooky88

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing and Congratulations! Looks great and bet it sounds even better. Looking forward to some audio clips. Rock on brother!

cmsaw83

Reaction score
wow! congratulations! I am waiting to receive a Captor 8 for my SC20H....so hopefully I will be able to get the master over 3
with pre at 8 :) in my bedroom.....

Thanks panoma!! Yea, you're gonna have a LOT of fun with the Captor man! And as far as getting your master past three, well, I run my DSL100HR with EVERYTHING right at or very close to 12 noon (so, 6 when your talking working your way up the notches to 11:hbang:) most of the time with the Captor, and that isn't by any means loud, but man it makes all the difference in the world being able to get those tubes warmed up and happy. And if I want to get louder, I rarely bypass the captor, I just crank the volume up a bit further, and the bump the master a little more and she'll get LOUD. That's the only thing about the Captor is the attenuator is not adjustable, it just brings the overall volume pumping out of the amp down 20dB. I thought that might end up being something that would bother me, but after spending time with it everyday for a month now, it's kind of a trip, because it's almost as if that 20 is the perfect magic number. I've never wanted to adjust it differently and I've never been in a position where I felt like it was too much or not enough. I just leave it hooked up and like I said, I do any adjusting with the amp which actually simplifies things. It's as if it's not even there, and suddenly my 100w head is magically manageable inside a room in my house. I can still crank it up enough to blow some doors off if I wanted, but its unnecessary. I'll be interested to see the difference when my 4x12 cab arrives on Saturday and I switch over from my 2x12 to that. Even then I don't see bypassing the Captor. At least not for a while until I've given the new speakers a chance to get good and broken in.

panoma

Reaction score
Thanks panoma!! Yea, you're gonna have a LOT of fun with the Captor man! And as far as getting your master past three, well, I run my DSL100HR with EVERYTHING right at or very close to 12 noon (so, 6 when your talking working your way up the notches to 11:hbang:) most of the time with the Captor, and that isn't by any means loud, but man it makes all the difference in the world being able to get those tubes warmed up and happy. And if I want to get louder, I rarely bypass the captor, I just crank the volume up a bit further, and the bump the master a little more and she'll get LOUD. That's the only thing about the Captor is the attenuator is not adjustable, it just brings the overall volume pumping out of the amp down 20dB. I thought that might end up being something that would bother me, but after spending time with it everyday for a month now, it's kind of a trip, because it's almost as if that 20 is the perfect magic number. I've never wanted to adjust it differently and I've never been in a position where I felt like it was too much or not enough. I just leave it hooked up and like I said, I do any adjusting with the amp which actually simplifies things. It's as if it's not even there, and suddenly my 100w head is magically manageable inside a room in my house. I can still crank it up enough to blow some doors off if I wanted, but its unnecessary. I'll be interested to see the difference when my 4x12 cab arrives on Saturday and I switch over from my 2x12 to that. Even then I don't see bypassing the Captor. At least not for a while until I've given the new speakers a chance to get good and broken in.

thank you for all the info :)
any feedback on the REVV G3 pedal? I do not know it......which range of distortion does it cover?

cmsaw83

Reaction score
Congrats on the haul!

I’ve got to +1 on the digital comments, I’ve got a Helix floor and my lead player has the PODgo, we both use Headrush 108 and they’re plenty loud and close enough to the real thing for gigging. And easier to haul/setup!

you got that right saxon68!! They have definitely gotten to the point that they are easily close enough that I can see why anyone would prefer using their Helix for gigging. Its funny you said what you did in your comment too! As it happens, I actually sent the Pod Go back and I have a Helix showing up tomorrow along with a new 412 Marshall cab to go with the DSL100HR. I am definitely looking very forward to both! Crazy, a 412 cab showing up in the same order as the very piece of kit that is rendering cab after cab and amp after amp obsolete! lol. Not for me though . I am going to thoroughly enjoy the Helix and play the S%$# out of it, but alot of the time I will be hooking up the 4 cable way and playing it through the new Marshall head and 412 cab. I know that sounds sac religious to some, but I make no apologies, because while I had the Pod Go, I did exactly that and it was a blast and they complimented each other wonderfully. I really enjoyed the Pod Go and it is certainly a cool piece of gear. But for all the things I want to use it for, its just not powerful enough. They don't tell you in any of those YouTube videos while they're advertising it as a Helix for a third of the cost (quite literally) that while the Pod Go does use the same quality amp sims and effects as the HX products, it does not have the same "shark" DSP inside. Actually the PodGo has one relatively small processor, while the Helix has the big shark processor which is actually several processors that make up one very large and very powerful one. Five years and counting the Helix has been running strong, and they are still coming out with new firmware updates, and the Helix is still runninig them with room to spare. If you consider how most other hardware is these days, this makes the Helix a truly remarkable device! My only regret in this situation is that I did not purchase one much sooner. I've already purchased a handful of good Celestion IRs to use with it and I am really stoked about it getting here!

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you got that right saxon68!! They have definitely gotten to the point that they are easily close enough that I can see why anyone would prefer using their Helix for gigging. Its funny you said what you did in your comment too! As it happens, I actually sent the Pod Go back and I have a Helix showing up tomorrow along with a new 412 Marshall cab to go with the DSL100HR. I am definitely looking very forward to both! Crazy, a 412 cab showing up in the same order as the very piece of kit that is rendering cab after cab and amp after amp obsolete! lol. Not for me though . I am going to thoroughly enjoy the Helix and play the S%$# out of it, but alot of the time I will be hooking up the 4 cable way and playing it through the new Marshall head and 412 cab. I know that sounds sac religious to some, but I make no apologies, because while I had the Pod Go, I did exactly that and it was a blast and they complimented each other wonderfully. I really enjoyed the Pod Go and it is certainly a cool piece of gear. But for all the things I want to use it for, its just not powerful enough. They don't tell you in any of those YouTube videos while they're advertising it as a Helix for a third of the cost (quite literally) that while the Pod Go does use the same quality amp sims and effects as the HX products, it does not have the same "shark" DSP inside. Actually the PodGo has one relatively small processor, while the Helix has the big shark processor which is actually several processors that make up one very large and very powerful one. Five years and counting the Helix has been running strong, and they are still coming out with new firmware updates, and the Helix is still runninig them with room to spare. If you consider how most other hardware is these days, this makes the Helix a truly remarkable device! My only regret in this situation is that I did not purchase one much sooner. I've already purchased a handful of good Celestion IRs to use with it and I am really stoked about it getting here!
I went from a 5150 50 watt head and wanting some effects to using Helix by itself into a 44magnum power amp pedal, to using a Headrush 112 with it, to Kemper stage after I sold the helix floor to get extra cash on my house down payment. Tried stage for about a year and while it did sound better to me, the interface, even on PC, was a terrible workflow compared to Helix. During this time I also got the Headrush 108 which is super easy to move around.
Sold stage, got a HX Stomp XL which is a perfect form factor for me, but it had only one Sharc processor and less blocks and only a single chain. Returned that and bought a full Helix floor since they dropped the price back to normal.
I’ve also got a JVM half stack for those days when I want to feel like a rock star and it’s a great conversation starter during webinars / meetings since it’s behind me in my office.
Can’t say enough great stuff about Helix since 3.0 really made a difference in the sound, shortening the gap between it and the real thing.

cmsaw83

Reaction score
thank you for all the info :)
any feedback on the REVV G3 pedal? I do not know it......which range of distortion does it cover?

I'm always happy to talk guitars and gear. That's what these forums are supposed to be about at the very heart of things, at least that's my perspective. It's about having a place where guitarists can go talk to other guitarists to try and get information, and there is no better information that a person can get than that which comes from individuals with 1st hand experience!

As far as the REVV G3 preamp/OD/Distortion pedal goes, well, just like there are 3 channels on the REVV Generator amps, so too are there 3 "G" series pedals. Each of the three pedals is a different color, first green, then purple, then red. As it happens, these colors also directly coincide with (you guessed it!!) the three channels on the REVV amps. The Generator is one of the most badass boutique amps out there IMHO, and it is a high gain amp above all else. There are cleans in the first channel and they are pretty cleans, but, not too different than a Marshall, it doesn't take much before you move out of that clean territory and on into all that high gain goodness, ranging anywhere from classic Marshall-esque rock tones, all the way through to Blistering melt your face off High gain, but the Generator is able to stop ANYWHERE along the way and not just sound good, but sound Amazing. My DSL is an Amazing amp, but not through its whole spectrum. The cleans are BEAUTIFUL, and one of the things I love the most about it, Crunch, well, that's just what Marshall IS isn't it... The ultimate most awesome crunch tones ever, because Marshall, nuff said. Now the Ultra Gain (Ch2) side of the amp, is still kick ass, but I personally only really use OD1. OD1 gives you that beyond Crunch Marshall EL34 high gain goodness, where there's just enough compression when you get that tube saturation going that it does this thing like no other amps, and it does it SO well. But, I learned a long time ago a very valuable lesson that I found to be true AF. When getting my gain from my AMP, it's important to understand how my amp works and what it likes and what it doesn't like. And getting more saturated distortion isn't as much to do with that Gain knob as I always thought as a kid. As long as I have a good attenuator, or I'm in a space where I can REALLY open my amp up, once I get a decent gain setting, if I want more, I rely on my Volume and master volume and an ultimate balance between the two in the end to get me where I want to be with the gain. See that's one of the things about knowing my amp. EL34s and my Marshall DSLs (any I've owned) only like so much gain being pushed through them before they reach a point that they begin to OVER compress, and it goes from a beautiful sound to a fizzy noise. If I need more than what I'm getting with my volume n Master, or just a bit of a different flavor, or maybe to just tighten it up some, I'll use a clean boost like an EP booster, or a Timmy or Klon type OD, or a TS9 respectfully to achieve those things, and typically I stay away from adding gain with those as well, just boosting or adding something a LITTLE different to the signal, and for me, these things work like a champ all day every day. The REVV, it sounds good no matter what you do with it and no matter where you set the dials for the most part (as it should... for $4000+, I'd say that better be par for the course or I'm asking for my money back) The pedals basically give you a preamp that allows you to use your own amps clean channel to get in a very close ballpark to their flagship amplifier's different channels and the 3 different modes within each of them. And unlike alot of preamps that claim to do this regarding other amps and their tones, the REVV pedals actually deliver the goods in spades. The Purple channel just happens to be the most popular, and the one suggested to me, so I tried it out and instantly loved it

cmsaw83

Reaction score
I went from a 5150 50 watt head and wanting some effects to using Helix by itself into a 44magnum power amp pedal, to using a Headrush 112 with it, to Kemper stage after I sold the helix floor to get extra cash on my house down payment. Tried stage for about a year and while it did sound better to me, the interface, even on PC, was a terrible workflow compared to Helix. During this time I also got the Headrush 108 which is super easy to move around.
Sold stage, got a HX Stomp XL which is a perfect form factor for me, but it had only one Sharc processor and less blocks and only a single chain. Returned that and bought a full Helix floor since they dropped the price back to normal.
I’ve also got a JVM half stack for those days when I want to feel like a rock star and it’s a great conversation starter during webinars / meetings since it’s behind me in my office.
Can’t say enough great stuff about Helix since 3.0 really made a difference in the sound, shortening the gap between it and the real thing.

It's funny how the greatest gear (even if its not the most expensive stuff out there, I'm just talking about those pieces of kit that speak to us and just seem to play well with us personally) always seems to be the stuff that we eventually come full circle and right back to before too long! Even if it's initially something like workflow that we appreciate and brings us back, but then we get there and realize improvements have been made, and it just makes you even happier to be working with something that feels like "home". It's happened to me several times with Marshall amps, namely DSLs, until I finally just decided that I needed to stop the BS and get the big boy head and be done with it. It also has happened with guitars. I had a period where I was trying alot of different stuff and trying to build one that would give me the Les Paul and Strat in one, till I finally just said F-it and wound up coming into a SWEET deal on my Les Paul Standard that has been my number one for years now and I will never sell it. But when I went to buy it and I picked it up for the first time, I knew it wasn't just a Les Paul, but it was THE ONE, and so it felt like home, but better, because its one that was just made with some extra patience and love because it looks beautiful and sounds and feels even better than it looks! And the most recent, a Helix Floor for me too, as I bought one a long while back and loved the concept and the workflow, but wasn't ready to invest time in the digital stuff yet and let it go 3 weeks after buying it, but I never stopped thinking about how powerful it was, so like you, once the price dropped I started looking for one and finally got it. This time I'm keeping it, and I understand how it works (but still have alot to learn so that will be fun too) and what it is capable of, and most importantly, I've lost that foolish presumption that owning a Helix would somehow eventually take me away from the valve amps I grew up on and dig the most! Just crazy how the GOOD stuff, the REALLY GREAT stuff, always manages to stand out enough that it finds its way to us man, and sometimes even more than once!

Kolanti

Reaction score
I love spending money for gear. It is one of the best feelings in the world. Have fun with the new toys!

panoma

Reaction score
I'm always happy to talk guitars and gear. That's what these forums are supposed to be about at the very heart of things, at least that's my perspective. It's about having a place where guitarists can go talk to other guitarists to try and get information, and there is no better information that a person can get than that which comes from individuals with 1st hand experience!

As far as the REVV G3 preamp/OD/Distortion pedal goes, well, just like there are 3 channels on the REVV Generator amps, so too are there 3 "G" series pedals. Each of the three pedals is a different color, first green, then purple, then red. As it happens, these colors also directly coincide with (you guessed it!!) the three channels on the REVV amps. The Generator is one of the most badass boutique amps out there IMHO, and it is a high gain amp above all else. There are cleans in the first channel and they are pretty cleans, but, not too different than a Marshall, it doesn't take much before you move out of that clean territory and on into all that high gain goodness, ranging anywhere from classic Marshall-esque rock tones, all the way through to Blistering melt your face off High gain, but the Generator is able to stop ANYWHERE along the way and not just sound good, but sound Amazing. My DSL is an Amazing amp, but not through its whole spectrum. The cleans are BEAUTIFUL, and one of the things I love the most about it, Crunch, well, that's just what Marshall IS isn't it... The ultimate most awesome crunch tones ever, because Marshall, nuff said. Now the Ultra Gain (Ch2) side of the amp, is still kick ass, but I personally only really use OD1. OD1 gives you that beyond Crunch Marshall EL34 high gain goodness, where there's just enough compression when you get that tube saturation going that it does this thing like no other amps, and it does it SO well. But, I learned a long time ago a very valuable lesson that I found to be true AF. When getting my gain from my AMP, it's important to understand how my amp works and what it likes and what it doesn't like. And getting more saturated distortion isn't as much to do with that Gain knob as I always thought as a kid. As long as I have a good attenuator, or I'm in a space where I can REALLY open my amp up, once I get a decent gain setting, if I want more, I rely on my Volume and master volume and an ultimate balance between the two in the end to get me where I want to be with the gain. See that's one of the things about knowing my amp. EL34s and my Marshall DSLs (any I've owned) only like so much gain being pushed through them before they reach a point that they begin to OVER compress, and it goes from a beautiful sound to a fizzy noise. If I need more than what I'm getting with my volume n Master, or just a bit of a different flavor, or maybe to just tighten it up some, I'll use a clean boost like an EP booster, or a Timmy or Klon type OD, or a TS9 respectfully to achieve those things, and typically I stay away from adding gain with those as well, just boosting or adding something a LITTLE different to the signal, and for me, these things work like a champ all day every day. The REVV, it sounds good no matter what you do with it and no matter where you set the dials for the most part (as it should... for $4000+, I'd say that better be par for the course or I'm asking for my money back) The pedals basically give you a preamp that allows you to use your own amps clean channel to get in a very close ballpark to their flagship amplifier's different channels and the 3 different modes within each of them. And unlike alot of preamps that claim to do this regarding other amps and their tones, the REVV pedals actually deliver the goods in spades. The Purple channel just happens to be the most popular, and the one suggested to me, so I tried it out and instantly loved it

really thank you for all the details and especially for the passion you show for our beloved 'guitar world'......I have always put an old SD-1 or an OD-2 (turbo OFF) in front of my SC20H as booster.....maybe it is time I try something new.... :)

Latest posts