NAD Marshall JCM900 SL-X

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’ve got a 93’ slx 2100 and a jcm 2000 dsl 50. Anyone think these amps crossover or are basically the same ? I have about 10 Marshall’s and often wonder if some basically duplicate tones of others.

2. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

Some people will say they are worlds apart. I dont own 10 Marshall's right now but have gone through a Valvestate, TSL 100, 6100lm, jcm 800 4210, and now my JCM 900 MKIII. Owned a lot of other amps too over the years. Boogies, 5150, Rivera Knucklehead 55 among others. To me most Marshall tube amps are a variation on a theme. That marshall sound lives in all of them. Different feature sets and levels of gain define each series but do they all sound like a Marshall? Every Marshall amp is a Marshall amp so I guess so.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

I too have 10 Marshalls now and while they are all based on the same core sound, each one has it's own unique flavor. Whether or not you can justify keeping two similar ones around is really personal preference - or how much money you are will to leave tied up in an amp instead of selling it for some extra cash.

I don't have a DSL50 but that along with the jcm900 4500/4100 are the next two I want to try out, especially since they are so cheap (relatively speaking). What I can say is that while my SL-X and my Mk III (both EL34) models sound "similar" the my JCM800 2203, I can still justify keeping all of them - I use an A/B switcher at home to try each one out and compare, and they all do things just a bit differently. However I think if money were tight and I could only keep one I could certainly narrow it down, nobody besides me would ever know the difference between the 3 unless they were in the same room listening to me A/B them. I test this occasionally when I get a new amp, I'll have my girlfriend sit and listen while I switch between them. Sometimes what sounds like an obvious, clear difference to me she'll sit there for a bit, and then say something like "have you switched yet?"

4. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

I own a JCM 900 SL-X 2500 and a JCM 2000 DSL50.

My SL-X is extremely RAW and OPEN - right from power up. A very aggressive, mean machine. Not as tight in the bottom end as the DSL50 but the tone is very round. My SD-1 is key to tighten everything up where I want it. It could be a desert island amp.

My DSL50 is extremely COMPRESSED and PUNCHY - right from power up. It WILL get super gnarly with the Red Channel gain. I seriously don't need Gain more than 3-5 with my SD-1 always on. It has A LOT of hair to it. Way more tighter in the bottom end and almost scooped which makes it feel even more rounded out. It could be a desert island amp.

While they both have the signature Marshall grind, they're both drastically different sounding amps.

I'm 9 Marshalls deep and they ALL have something to offer. I have my 3210s and 3315s and even their drastically different tonally. That is why it's way too hard for me to sell any of them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that. Almost all overdrive and distortion pedals are solid state.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  6. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Congrats Kelia. Nice amp!

Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  7. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

What’s interesting about the slx 2500/2100 is how different they are to each other. Not just 50 vs 100 w models but even the same amps. My 93’ 2100 el 34 is a beast. My first impression playing it was it had a voxish/ Mesa quality to it. Yet it nails early EVH. Kind of a rich thick plexish tone vs an 800.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I recently bought a 1993 SLX and while it sounded great....the amp was in bad shape and I did not have the desire to refurbish it. I wish I had kept it for a rainy day project. It sounded pretty darn nice.

9. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks !........It's funny , on the last Episode of Tone-Talk below , Dave Friedman said that the worst amps
    were the JCM900's , and then he says even worst were the 6100 30th Anniversary ,..start listening at 56 minutes.

And later on ,someone or the same guy asked him a question about the SL-X preamp and he said No!,...900's are not good !
    this one you need to start listening at 1.27

I have to say here that the best frikken 900 I've owned was a Dual Reverb with the Gravenmade mod ( aka @tschrama )
    that amp was just amazing to play ,....woody fat and chunky , couldn't believe I was playing a JCM900 DR,
    stupidly sold it and just bought a mint reissue for peanuts to have my tech do the same mod on it ,..50 cents worth of parts and
    1-2 hours max , just wish the schematics is the same as the last revision but it should I guess.

!!!!!!!! Gravenmade JCM900 mod !!!!!!!

1] C27, (4n7)snipe one leg off
    This removes the weird, post-overdrive, pre-EQ, shaving off some of the fizz, restoring mids, and giving a subtle bass boost. It doesn't do anything for more gain or more articulation. It does help the tonestack to react more like a traditional marshall.

2] C35, (220pF) to 100pF
    Restoring some of the treble response, pre-overdrive. Better for pince-harmonics, articulation and tone in general. Subtle but worth it.

3] R42, (10k) piggy back another 10K over it. This provides more gain, especially over 500Hz. Great for more saturation, without making it muddy.

4] D10, (diode) snipe one leg off:
    -Prevent the diodebridge to clip the signal to +/- 2 Volts. This alters the clipping threshold, loosing some overdrive. It lowers perceived gain. Could make the opamp clipping more audiable.

5] R60, (470k) Pickybag 47K over it
    -Lowers output signal to the FX-send, and downstream components. Tweak this if perceived volume is too low or too high.

5] R13, (220k) snipe one leg off
    -Removes global feedback around the tube-gain-stage. Now this tube is driven very hard (4a) and acts as a traditional gain stage in vintage Marshall's. It makes the tonestack act like a traditional Marshall tonestack, and its clipping behavior is like an old marshall. But since the clipping treshold of this tube-stage is HIGHER then the diodebridge, you will loose overdrive. It lowers perceived gain.

http://www.sgravenmade.nl/onderhoud/marshall-jcm900-dual-reverb-mod/

Sapient likes this.
  10. Neptical

Clown words. He wishes he was Jim Marshall.

lonewolfsx and Kelia like this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree, even the MG’s sound like a Marshall, and if that’s all I had (which at one time it was) I could play it and smile, (which I did)
    My amps are not vintage (well maybe the 3210’s are) but I am still smiling, my buddy John as the 50 watt DR and I loved it when he let me play it.
    I have never had the opportunity to play an SLX.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Neptical, lonewolfsx and Kelia like this.
  12. Noam Bukowski

Noam Bukowski New Member

I used to have a 50watt SL-X about 20 years ago. At the time, it was considered to be 'the best' JCM900, and there was somekind of jcm 800 hype that made the prices skyrocket. Sold it to my buddy when I found an old 2204 I could afford. He still uses it to this day, prefers it over the new Orange amps he ownes/tried.

Kelia and Neptical like this.
  13. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it before, and I still consider the SL-X 2500 to be the perfect single channel 50w master volume Marshall for modding. It already has 2 of the most important things, additional "all tube" gain stages, and a 2nd (foot-switchable) master volume. From there, it's just a matter of fine tuning the components to the degree needed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  14. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Any mods recipe ? :naughty:

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Not at this time. I finally printed out copies of the schematic so I can try and document what I've done so far. I do remember decreasing the negative feedback level and know I changed at least a couple of resistors in the preamp. I need to pull the chassis and get back to it.

16. Neptical

BEFORE I FORGET ....let me add one more experience of mine with my SL-X 2500.

Tonight, I also added my MXR 10 Band EQ (108) to my SL-X fx loop. Set up in a V ( except 16k trimmed down -6). SD-1 in front for clean boost.

BOOM SAUCE!!

Huge, fat bottom end with so much cut and clarity all while STILL grinding AND singing. Better than ANY Rectifier owned or played hands down.

Mitchell Pearrow and lonewolfsx like this.
  17. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks ! :)

18. 961le

961le Active Member

Nice find! I love mine. I go through times where it doesn’t get much use but I always end up getting it back out. I found that Chinese tubes sound best in 1 and 2. Prewar yugo sounds good in 1. Old Blackburn mullards not so great in it. Ymmv. I had might as well paint not for sale on the tolex. I do wish I could get another preamp board made though and freshen it up. Br3 exposed the traces underneath. Shouldn’t happen again but I always think about that weak spot

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  19. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

I bought a JCM 50 Watt SLX with the el34 tubes about 2-3 years ago. At the time it seemed like the best bang for the buck Marshall available. So happy with my purchase. I think I paid around $800 or so for the head and I have no complaints. I pair it up with greenbacks and I think it's tone to the bone.

20. 961le

961le Active Member

Mine goes through 4 vented g12t75s. 85 model cab. Those speakers sound great