NAD- Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kim Lucky Day, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So actually Monday was the real NAD. I'm slowly immersing myself into this beauty. It's not the handwire version but I'm fine with that. With my pedal setup and the type of music I play, it has the perfect amount of growl to it. I'm still tweaking it to find the sweet spot where I can get a good clean sound and use a pedal for dirt and a good volume boost for leads. It definitely does not like the Carl Martin Plexi Tone, it's squeal city, even with the crunch on low and no mother boost or drive on. The Spark sounds great through it (as if there was any doubt). I have a Keeley 1962x that sounds pretty damn good, too. And without pedals, bright volume around 6, normal volume at 8 with channels jumped is such an awesome tone in its own right. I have my Weber Mass 100 on it, even with aggressive attenuation it has a good tone (loses a bit of bass so I adjust to taste). Heavy sucker for sure... Was going back and forth between this and a 1974x but I wanted a bit more headroom for my lead boost setup to work properly. I do also have a Beano boost coming, I cannot wait!

Pictures forthcoming...

AMPPILOT, dro, Kelia and 13 others like this.
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD, Congrats

3. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I’ve been reading up a little on the old Bluesbreakers. Very cool amp, congrats!!

AMPPILOT, Mr. Natural, scozz and 5 others like this.
  4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: the new amp sounds very interesting. Hope some pics and maybe a little sound clip soon?

5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your amp, would love to see / hear it when you get a chance.
    Cheers

scozz and tce63 like this.
  6. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Do yourself a favour and go somewhere you can play it flat out without attenuation.

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The more I learn and read about handwired amps the more I believe it’s a rip off to pay extra for them.

I read an article somewhere about handwired amps, and a bunch of experts said that compared to a quality PCs amp, there is no discernible difference in quality of tone!

In fact they also claimed, if a pcb amp is carefully designed and built,.. it will outperform a handwired amp!

I don’t recall them expanding on that claim.

Congrats on the new amp buddy! :thumb:

Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  8. Kim Lucky Day

Resized_20200314_165440(2)(1).jpeg Sound clips will have to wait... But this thing is LOUD!

9. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Active Member

Very cool, congrats on your new amp!

Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  10. Kim Lucky Day

I really love this amp, haven't had a chance to open it up without an attenuator yet but it is striking how dark the tone is on this thing. I have my Mass 100 treble boost set at 6dB, presence on about 7, treble nearly full, bass nearly off, and mids about half way.

I had ordered an Analogman Beano Boost, talk about being just what the doctor ordered! This thing really sings now. I've also run the Spark into the front end after the Beano Boost and it really does an awesome 70's rock tone. I'm so glad I parted ways with my 4010 in favor of the Bluesbreaker. This thing is right in my wheelhouse. Between this amp and my SV20H full stack, I am absolutely loving it!

11. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Kim I've got the Beano Boost and it is my understanding that because that pedal is Germanium based it prefers to be leader of the pack i.e. first pedal on the board. Have you run it in that position as of yet?
    BP

tce63 likes this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How does it compare to your SV20 tonally and volume?

tce63 likes this.
  13. Kim Lucky Day

The 1962 is much darker and I'm guessing WAY louder than the SV20H. I haven't played around much on the BB without having the channels jumped so perhaps it would brighten up a bit if I just ran it through the bright channel. SV20H is jumpered, too, plugged into high bright input.

Mitchell Pearrow, steveb63 and tce63 like this.
  14. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

Whoa...one of my dream amps...congrats!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Kim Lucky Day

Yes, it's the first pedal (besides my tuner) in my signal chain when playing that amp.

16. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

Got me one of these amps last Wednesday on Craigslist. A 1990 Marshall 'Bluesbreaker' 2x12 combo. Love it!

17. Kim Lucky Day

I may be committing an act of sacrilege on mine but I'm putting a Zero Loss effects loop on it. I'd be using this to gig with if I could get a decent volume boost for solos out of this without adding saturation and gain. An effects loop will allow me to do this. I just love the tone out of this amp... I'm still a big fan of my SV20H but the tones I get out of my Bluesbreaker makes it more versatile.

18. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

:yesway: Thumbs Up on the Zero-Loss FX Loop!:yesway:

Kim Lucky Day and steveb63 like this.
  19. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

Congratulations, I love Bluesbreakers. The best looking Marshall ever made. The 1974, 1973, and 1958 models all being a very close second.

I’ve owned two 1962HW’s and a 1962RI. The handwired version has more bottom-end and is super loud as compared to the PCB version. The volume on the 1962RI was much more manageable than the 1962HW, which was crazy loud, even with the volume knob set much over 1.

I tried many OD pedals with my Bluesbreakers without success. The only OD pedal that worked for me and did not color the amp’s wonderful tone, was a Greer Lightspeed. The Lightspeed is a low to medium gain OD pedal.

B388C896-D82C-487D-89FC-E0E303EA01D6.jpeg E82F04B4-46B2-469E-80F8-3FB7567D2996.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  20. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Wow! Never played one of these, but must be really good.