NAD JVM arrives and Guitar Center Absolutely Sucks A$$

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you weren't impressed with the JVM and prefer your 2204, maybe invest in a Bad Cat Unleash so you can utilize your 2204 for gigs and have an outboard lead boost for it. Alot cheaper than a JVM. :yesway:

I agree with @pedecamp @Adrian R,...the 2204 is a great amp, with an attenuator it will be much more useable. Where pedecamp and I disagree is which attenuator to buy

Get one of these ...https://www.tedweber.com/mass,..for $260 you can’t beat it! Weber attenuators are made here in the US, by hand, one by one, in an established American company. And they work great, read their reviews, everyone loves them!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I agree with @pedecamp @Adrian R,...the 2204 is a great amp, with an attenuator it will be much more useable. Where pedecamp and I disagree is which attenuator to buy

Get one of these ...https://www.tedweber.com/mass,..for $260 you can’t beat it! Weber attenuators are made here in the US, by hand, one by one, in an established American company. And they work great, read their reviews, everyone loves them!
Its not that I dont agree which to buy, its I dont agree in using one at all. The Bad Cat I suggest for the lead boost capability not the attenuation ability. But yeah Weber makes a great product I used to have one, I just dont feel the need to use one for what I do. :yesway:

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not that I dont agree which to buy, its I dont agree in using one at all. The Bad Cat I suggest for the lead boost capability not the attenuation ability. But yeah Weber makes a great product I used to have one, I just dont feel the need to use one for what I do. :yesway:

Hey, are u still using that MP Underdrive pedal? MF stopped selling them. Still kinda curious, but I have my doubts.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The 205 usually comes with the 4-Button F/s.
If you are happy with the actual amp, threaten to return it if no discount can be struck for the missing F/s.
If you get the discount, get the 6-Button F/s, which is far more versatile.
Many upgrade to the 6-Button, even if they have the 4-Button. This way you might actually save on getting the 6-Button!

Good luck however it turns out.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey, are u still using that MP Underdrive pedal? MF stopped selling them. Still kinda curious, but I have my doubts.

Yeah its still on my pedalboard, its a good solution if you don't have other options and don't like rolling the guitar volume knob just use your foot with the pedal. Whats nice is the EQ on the pedal works really well much better than an EQ pedal believe it or not, that's what I like about it. Fortunately I got mine half price used, they seem to command a high price on the used market and pretty expensive new. Keep your eye out for a good deal its worth a try.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
As far as the deception part of GC. I totally agree. I have a 2061CX and was kind of looking for another a little while back. Every time I got to searching for one GC would pop up. The page would have something like "Order Now. Expected Ship...." I got to noticing the ship date would roll over a day each day plus i knew the cabinet had been discontinued. I finally called and asked them why. I thought maybe they had a special deal with Marshall like some stores do with certain items. Nope, they acted clueless and came across as what i said was BS.

wmachine

Reaction score
Exactly, I cannot believe their still in business...talk about deceptive practices, or just plain operational ineptness...pathetic....
There may be some deceptive practices out there, but I'm sure the vast majority is nothing more (or less) than ineptness usually driven by laziness.
I do know from personal experience that not all GCs suck. The difference will invariably revolve around the store manager. I don't know how many good store managers are out there, but my local store has one. And he is quite aware of the shortcomings of corporate GC and does his best to be good to customers. But I don't expect the good managers to last long there because of those corporate shortcomings.
The bottom line is that one can successfully work with GC. But you have to know how they work, be willing to put up with some rough spots, and not leave yourself exposed. And if you're lucky, get a good manager to help you navigate.

wmachine

Reaction score
As far as the deception part of GC. I totally agree. I have a 2061CX and was kind of looking for another a little while back. Every time I got to searching for one GC would pop up. The page would have something like "Order Now. Expected Ship...." I got to noticing the ship date would roll over a day each day plus i knew the cabinet had been discontinued. I finally called and asked them why. I thought maybe they had a special deal with Marshall like some stores do with certain items. Nope, they acted clueless and came across as what i said was BS.

This is what I mean by "understanding how they work". You can call it deception, but there really is no intention to deceive, they just have a system that sucks. Here is how this works:
When they are out of something, they place an order for replacements, make (as in make up) a tentative date and post it. They don't know whether it will be filled or not. Sure, usually it it. Sometimes not. Ever. Happens in the cases where it is discontinued and they don't know it. So the date is pushed out numerous times until either they are notified or someone finds out it is discontinued and cancels the orders they have. Sometimes it is pushed out numerous times and eventually delivered.
What their system lacks are either a lack of order acknowledgements from vendor or a lack of tying them into their system.

What that all mean to us buyers is that if we place an order for something that gets back-ordered, understand that it may delayed more that the initial date given or may even be cancelled. And act accordingly. It is that simple. Buy elsewhere if you can't work with that.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
This is what I mean by "understanding how they work". You can call it deception, but there really is no intention to deceive, they just have a system that sucks. Here is how this works:
When they are out of something, they place an order for replacements, make (as in make up) a tentative date and post it. They don't know whether it will be filled or not. Sure, usually it it. Sometimes not. Ever. Happens in the cases where it is discontinued and they don't know it. So the date is pushed out numerous times until either they are notified or someone finds out it is discontinued and cancels the orders they have. Sometimes it is pushed out numerous times and eventually delivered.
What their system lacks are either a lack of order acknowledgements from vendor or a lack of tying them into their system.

What that all mean to us buyers is that if we place an order for something that gets back-ordered, understand that it may delayed more that the initial date given or may even be cancelled. And act accordingly. It is that simple. Buy elsewhere if you can't work with that.

Let me clarify then. My opinion of GC goes way beyond my casual search for a 2061CX. First off, that product had been discontinued for a while with every online dealer showing discontinued. That is the only reason it stuck out. I wanted a new one so that was why i inquired. Maybe the could still get one. I live in Georgia. While some have good people to deal with just about every store is a huge disappointment with stock for a guitarists with as many years under his belt as i do. I also realize I'm in the minority though as there are kids out there who'd love a transistor combo for $99. Fair enough. What did it for me was after making multiple trips over time around the Atlanta area to get away from online sales, i had grown to use that quite often and wanted to support these stores for a change, only to never see in stock what i was looking for yet i could order it. The kicker was when i had a new Les Paul on my mind. One store up there had the exact model i was looking for in stock. I drove my ass all the way up there and there it was on the top row. I'm ready to buy if it passed the play test. I walked and stood around there for almost 45 minutes and I'm telling you there wasn't an employee nowhere. If not for camera security i easily could've walked out with it. I wasn't the only one in there with his jaw hanging either. I finally walked out done with the idea and i saw them all gathered up in the side ally vaping.

As far as supply chain management and material support, that is a big part of my job I've been doing for 33 years. I know how it works.

Yeah, deceit was too strong a word for my description i agree. I guess what it boils down to is i remember when there weren't Guitar Centers or anything like that. You went to Atlanta and every place had pro gear and very little else. Now, there's a lot of filler and i feel like I'm going into a Wal-Mart where most of it is budget junk. I went back to online sales. I did try.

wmachine

Reaction score
Let me clarify then. My opinion of GC goes way beyond my casual search for a 2061CX. First off, that product had been discontinued for a while with every online dealer showing discontinued. That is the only reason it stuck out. I wanted a new one so that was why i inquired. Maybe the could still get one. I live in Georgia. While some have good people to deal with just about every store is a huge disappointment with stock for a guitarists with as many years under his belt as i do. I also realize I'm in the minority though as there are kids out there who'd love a transistor combo for $99. Fair enough. What did it for me was after making multiple trips over time around the Atlanta area to get away from online sales, i had grown to use that quite often and wanted to support these stores for a change, only to never see in stock what i was looking for yet i could order it. The kicker was when i had a new Les Paul on my mind. One store up there had the exact model i was looking for in stock. I drove my ass all the way up there and there it was on the top row. I'm ready to buy if it passed the play test. I walked and stood around there for almost 45 minutes and I'm telling you there wasn't an employee nowhere. If not for camera security i easily could've walked out with it. I wasn't the only one in there with his jaw hanging either. I finally walked out done with the idea and i saw them all gathered up in the side ally vaping.

As far as supply chain management and material support, that is a big part of my job I've been doing for 33 years. I know how it works.

Yeah, deceit was too strong a word for my description i agree. I guess what it boils down to is i remember when there weren't Guitar Centers or anything like that. You went to Atlanta and every place had pro gear and very little else. Now, there's a lot of filler and i feel like I'm going into a Wal-Mart where most of it is budget junk. I went back to online sales. I did try.
I'm with you on that and feel your pain. Sad to see the changes for the bad. But don't let yourself be victimized. Realize that is the way it is and we aren't going to change it. Either use it the way it is, or don't use it. I don't blame anyone for not using it. I get it. But I have my sights on getting what I want and don't lose sight of that.
The difference here in this case is that when I saw the vapin idiots, I would have hustled them back in the door and got that LP to try.
In the end, you went home shaking your head. I would have gone home shaking my head, but with the guitar.
Don't let those things bother you so much. You're the only one who suffers from that. You sure the hell didn't teach them a lesson by leaving.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Bottom line: GC is changing to a business model where it's more like a Walmart than a "Gourmet Market". The reason is simple: there's more people wanting cheap things than people looking for a expensive stuff.

I've been in the US like 5 times this year, everytime I'm in the US I enter in 3 or 4 guitar stores and NONE, I mean NONE carried JP Flow Picks. So I've tired and bought it through Amazon. Let Odin bless amazon prime.

DLW

Reaction score
I dont use GC any more. Everyone who is here knows more about gear than anyone who works for GC

Sure the 45 day return is great but it works both ways and the amp you get may have been out on loan many times. The tubes, knobs, pedals and even the whole damn chasis switched are possible from one of the previous renters.

For those who test it at the store and at least take the back off the head and look around before paying I can see how that works out well.

GC just needs to move product.

The only time you know a GC amp is new and not been rented multiple times is if you see them un pack it in front of you.

I have been burned on private sales too. But almost always at GC. There may be a few stores run well though.

In the past year I have called them directly 3 times on 3 different cabs 3 different stores. Pushed hard each one to get their lazy asses to open up a cab and verify the speakers were stock and the dudes then after opening are like oh sorry man, these are not the ones you are talking about. 3 out of 3 cabs were raped of their speakers and then GC kept the cabs up for the same price for months on all 3 with out any disclosure abour the wrong speakers.

F that crap. No way. No more. Those 3 instances qualify as deception.

Because people are greedy and because they are funny about money they dump stuff on the uneducated and uncarring GC employee that they cannot effectively or morally sell on Craiglist, Ebay or Reverb or a small local shop.

Their morals loosen up and they dont feel so guilty dumping their garbage or non stock gear on GC because it is a corporation and not an individual.

That all being said.... good gear still comes thru there and a good deal is a good deal anywhere and you can get a refund. At this point I need less hassles so no GC for me.

Also there is a chance the pedal for the OP amp is sitting in the GC display case and the GC employees dont even know because they do not know anything about gear. It probably has a sticker on it saying “Marshall MG deluxe 4 button footswitch”$79 used. If you ask them about thel pedal they will likely say some BS like.......oh yeah this is a limited edition MG four button footswitch these dont come thru here often. I have been eyeing this one myself but dont have the cash right now. A dude came in the other day with just this pedal alone and said his amp was stolen at a gig and he just had the pedal left. I could probably get my manager to throw in a set of strings if you buy the pedal now. Oh also there was in guy in earlier who said he is coming back later today to buy the pedal. No pressure though.

Sorry to sound so jaded but I am. Lol

Last edited:

jchrisf

Reaction score
GC has always tried to pull one on me but if they have a used item I am interested in I will probably buy it from them if the price is right and I can't find one locally because of the 45 day return period. Plus, if something is wrong with it I can still return it and get my money back. I wouldn't buy anything new from them because even with new items they have tried to pull one over on me.

Last year they had a black friday deal for a 8" Mackie monitor for $99. I got two. One arrived brand new in the box. I thought it was weird that they didn't arrive together. A couple of days later the second one arrived in a huge box. Turned out they sent a display item from a store somewhere and for the first time ever packed a used item well. It was in the middle of a lot of packing paper. It did have scuffs on the bottom from being on display but I figured if I send it back for a brand new one they'd be out of stock because of the sale and no one would ever see the scuffs on the bottom. That is the only time I have ever let them get away with it. That price was too good.

jchrisf

Reaction score
I had to return the Splawn to GC because the loop was broken. They sent UPS to my house to pick it up and didn't charge me. The amp got back to them and they refunded my money minus the original shipping charge. I called customer service and they apologized and refunded the shipping amount back to me. I went ahead and ordered a BFG modified Jet City JCA22H so we will see how it goes this time. The other two amps I have ordered didn't work correctly. I hope this one does. I don't really mind since they are refunding me my money but it is a bit of a hassle. At least I have gotten to try the amp in my home and gotten a feel for the tone... I'm just wondering what will be wrong with this amp when it arrives. They told me on the phone that this one just came from the shop and was repaired so it should be in great working order if their tech is any good.

ShredMojo

Reaction score
Few years ago I got a VM 2466 used from their website. Thought I scored a great deal. Amp was packed really well. Plugged it in and worked fine, really exceeded my expectations for the VM. Couple weeks later it just start randomly making weird noises and cutting out but sometimes worked fine. I decided to return it since I could. They were pretty cool about it, I just showed up the local GC, explained what it was doing, they wrote me a check. They had the same VM(it had a cut in the tolex in a certain spot) back up for sale the next day. So for a few months I'd watch for it. It would sell, then be back on the website for sale in a week. It changed hands atleast 3-4 times in different states. I've since decided not to buy used amps from them. I don't believe it was a tube issue with the amp, I also don't think they spent any time troubleshooting it either.

Also suddenly have G.A.S. for a VM.

DLW

Reaction score
Few years ago I got a VM 2466 used from their website. Thought I scored a great deal. Amp was packed really well. Plugged it in and worked fine, really exceeded my expectations for the VM. Couple weeks later it just start randomly making weird noises and cutting out but sometimes worked fine. I decided to return it since I could. They were pretty cool about it, I just showed up the local GC, explained what it was doing, they wrote me a check. They had the same VM(it had a cut in the tolex in a certain spot) back up for sale the next day. So for a few months I'd watch for it. It would sell, then be back on the website for sale in a week. It changed hands atleast 3-4 times in different states. I've since decided not to buy used amps from them. I don't believe it was a tube issue with the amp, I also don't think they spent any time troubleshooting it either.

Also suddenly have G.A.S. for a VM.

I think that experience sums up GC.

Moving product without a care.

Over and over again!

The general business practice of GC has many similarities to a low end shady used car dealer. Its just much easier to get your money back with GC.

Latest posts