NAD JCM900 2501

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MKIII900, Feb 9, 2021.

1. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

20210209_130822.jpg Screenshot_20210209-130757_Gallery.jpg A little belated for me. I have had this MKIII for about a year now. I always wanted a JCM900 combo and when I saw this pop up in Canada I jumped on it. For me it has all the things I could ever need in an amp without being overly complicated. I have fired it up a few times with the combo speaker but for the most part I'm using it to direct record with a Torpedo Captor and Wall of Sound.
    I love the sound with just the preamp gain. It really nails a 70's rock tone. As you roll up the gain sensitivity it really thickens up the tone and starts to roar. I've also found the presence control on this amp really gives you a lot of versatility. With both gains set at about half with the prescence set high it easily gets into metal territory. Rolling back the presence doesnt change the gain structure but rounds off the tone in a way that sounds great for stoner rock.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Don, Deftone, coolidge56 and 6 others like this.
  2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new amp ! :applause: make us a nice fat jucy clip of this puppy !

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    MKIII900, Trelwheen and tce63 like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD, Congrats

And :welcome: to the forum.

Cheers :cheers:

4. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

:woot: Congrats n “Welcome”

5. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Congrats! Sweet combo.

MKIII900, tce63 and Kelia like this.
  6. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

Thanks! Glad I found this forum. Seems to be a lot more info on the 900 series here than anywhere else online. This weekend I'll post a clip or at least a clip of a song that I recorded using the 900 for all the guitar parts.

Deftone, GregM and tce63 like this.
  7. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Killer amp! I have a 2501 too that I got last year. I'm a big fan of the G12-H100 speaker, not sure if you have the same speaker but that was the stock one. It sounds amazing plugged into a 4x12 but makes for a great portable rock amp and can get plenty loud for jams. The Mk III is super cool and unique in that you can bring in the diode (sensitivity) knob as much as you want, from totally off to super gritty. I have a 2100 SL-X - same controls and really similar circuit - but since the diodes are replaced with a tube gain stage you can't dial it completely out like you can on the Mk III.

I liked it so much I hunted down a 2500 head, but sadly that one had a bunch of electrical issues and I had to return it. Someday I'll find another one.

MKIII900 and tce63 like this.
  8. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

That's interesting about the SLX. I would really like to try an SLX but they are fairly rare around here. I didn't know that about the extra tube gain stage not being completely out of the circuit at 0.

This one shipped to me unloaded. I put an Eminence CV-75 in it. I havent had much of a chance to crank it up with the real speaker but it definitely seems to suit the amp well. If I ever come across a G12 h100 I'll have to try it. Really like the size of the amp too. I think my old 4210 was a bit bigger and seemed to weigh a bit more too. The 2501 is not very heavy so it makes quite the powerful grab and go.
    I'm mostly using 4x12 impulse responses to record it but I'm looking forward to plugging it into a 4x12 when I get the chance.

tce63 and lonewolfsx like this.
  9. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

Congrats!!

tce63 and MKIII900 like this.