NAD, first Marshall half stack

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by saxon68, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

These are great amps, good choice.

2. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

Congrats! I stupidly sold my JVM410H and then bought a new one. Great amp.

saxon68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

all those damn knobs.
    nice score. i want to try one out myself.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on a killer amp @saxon68!

I’ve got a couple of questions though, what exactly is the floating knob thing?

Are the knobs on certain year Jvms not properly mounted?

Thanks.

saxon68 and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

While I don't know the specifics surrounding the ones on JVMs and/or the years involved, I've certainly seen the "floating knob" thing elsewhere. Its when the pots are simply mounted to the circuit board and stuck out/through the holes in the front panel of the chassis, with no nuts or other means of securing them properly. This often leads to faulty solder connections to the circuit board, damage to the pots themselves, etc! Really pi$$ poor design in the interest of a few $$$ higher profit margin. And while it can make for easier, quicker installation and removal of a fully assembled circuit board, it is a recipe for disaster, in terms of longevity and reliability!
    Not Floatin'
    Gene

6. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

Some 900 models had that. I HATE it! Such a stupid way to save a dime. I will gladly pay a little more for reliability.

7. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Exactly. And I’d heard that JVMs had floaters until 2012, so when I met him I grabbed one and checked for wiggle (just sounds wrong I know) but it seemed solid enough to me.

got home and popped one off and it’s mounted proper!
    Manufacture date is 13th week of 2011 according to the serial# so March 28-April 3rd manufactured, and it was purchased in July 2011.

8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new rig. From what I can see in the photos you provided, both cab and amp look in fantastic condition. $1800 for both is one great deal for you. Though I love to haggle, I, too, would not have made a lower offer.

But there is one detail that concerned me, which is the next quote.

You wrote that you 2011 410H had "all original tubes"; if this is indeed accurate, then using original tubes in an amp that old is a detail that might need attention. I'm not sure if you meant something else when you wrote "all original tubes" but if that statement is accurate, I'd at least invest in a new quad of power tubes. The preamp tubes might be good to go, but power amp tubes usually take more of a beating. Now if the amp does have "all original tubes" and if the number of times the amp has been turned on can be counted on one hand since 2011, then I'd say you probably do not have to get new power tubes.

I'm not sure the exact year Marshall started using additional mounting of the pots to the face plate/front panel. I could be wrong but it might have been around five or six years ago.

I have a 2007 410H I bought brand new in 2008 (never modified). Mine has the so-called "floating" knobs, which have never caused me a problem. At the Marshall Forum (now dead), Santiago explained why Marshall did not attach the knobs to the front panel, but I forgot the reason (it was an old post). All I can say is that the knobs have never caused any problems as suggested by others in this thread and other threads. I can't fault someone for wanting to secure the knobs to the face plate since it's a cheap and easy thing to do, but it's not necessary for the amp to function properly/as designed. But with all the talk about the mounting of pots on early JVMs, I've seen other amps with pots using "more secure" mounting than on early JVM4 amp, and those phuckers can still suffer great damage and in some cases break off.

9. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

10. saxon68

Yeah so he was in the military and only played it occasionally at home. I doubt it’s ever been cranked. When I get in a band again I’ll get a new quad just in case.
    I’m really surprised how good it sounds with the stock preamp tubes.
    I’ve got to find some info on the tube layout, looks like there used to be a JVM forum that’s down now.

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that Gene!

You know shortly after I posted I thought it was something like that, I had heard about it here.

So does Marshall still do this with any amp models?

12. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I've not had the chassis out of my DSL40CR or DSL20CR, that are still under factory warranty to know for certain about the chinesiawanoreanam models! The pots feel pretty solid, so I'm guessing they are nutted, kinda like me! :naughty: :rolleyes: Both amps operate flawlessly, so no need to open them, although I've already burned through the OEM JJ EL34s in the 20 and replaced them with Valve Art units. They sound a bit better and the amp seems to run a bit cooler to the touch with them! I'm virtually positive they are the same exact tubes as the higher priced TADs, just labeled differently. They came from AES/CE, well matched!
    Just My Additional :2c:,
    Gene

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

nice score!!! I hope you have lot´s of fun.

saxon68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. chronos1701

chronos1701 New Member

Great score on the half stack!! I remember when I got my first half stack. Just had to crank it to room shaking levels just for the fun of it!!

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

There's no going back now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jhs5150, saxon68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! But don't play it sideways, turn it right side up! :)

jhs5150, saxon68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. saxon68

Sometimes shit goes sideways eh? Once in awhile the forum rotates my pictures.

Mitchell Pearrow and Kutt like this.
  18. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I had a tour of the factory late July 2011....I could have seen your amp being built.

19. saxon68

It was built late March / early April. I’m jealous of your tour though!!!!

20. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Awesome, I bought my 410h when they first came out and still have it. I have since added way too many other heads, but when the time comes for me to have just one, it will STILL be the 410h. I 4cmd with a boss gt multieffects unit and It gives me everything I could ever need.