NAD Finally got one....

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'v been after one of these for awhile now, Carvin X-60A tube amp. It is supposed to be the same as the X-100b but no EQ, still has active tone controls, spring reverb and this one uses 6L6GC's and a EV12 300w speaker. It's in excellent shape, 1988, the Groove Tubes are gone and someone put in JJ's. Even the FS in very clean so I'm hoping the gut's are in the same shape, I'll know tonight. I always wanted the 30w "A" model, but this popped up and was too good to pass on. Back in the 80's / 90's they made these without the EQ and sold them as studio amp's with 2-12" cab's or in a combo like this. My guess is it's a very good pedal amp and can play clean very loud. I don't know if this one has the "hot rod" circuit or not, it does have the hi-lead and hi-lo input's, but some have a factory hot rod mod that really cook's. (My other combo has it) I'll let you know what I find.

Attached Files:

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

OK, got to play with it last night, it's nothing like the EL34 / BR12 model. Without the "hot rod" circuit it does not have the girthy drive of the other one. Still pretty good and with the drive dimmed it sounds killer, but I'v never had to dime my X100b combo. I have 2 problems, one is the tubes, they are JJ's but 1 ax7 is different, I'm going to put it back to Groove Tubes to see what happens. The other is the EV12 speaker, I will try other's to see if it's ok but it seems strange. It BARELY fit's in the cab, the power tubes are about 1/4" from touching it. The tone controls work great, you can dial in or out as much as you want. The reverb is a "short" tank Accutronics although it sounds good it seems like something is missing from the larger one. (Almost too springy to.) The size is great, it's very small and very powerful, very usable in small to medium size shows and must have been great for studio work. Still pretty heavy with that EV12 in it but a hell of a lot better than the X100b combo, that sucker is heavy. It's clean as a whistle, been sitting for years with a cover on it. I'll report back when I retube it and try different speaker's. Until then, if you buy an X-amp from Carvin looking for very powerful drive go with the EL34 models unless you try the others and like it. The 6L6GC units are fine too, but the EL34 ones with the hot rod mod are killer. I think you can add the HR mod to these as well, there was a guy selling a mod kit but I think he took sick and they are not available now. Pedal's seem to work very good with this unit and it is very quiet, with everything dimmed you can barely hear the amp. FS works flawless and has the built in 6 or 7db boost for either channel. (Used to "pop through" in a lead.) Not really what I was hoping for but still a very cool project indeed!

PS, look at the size of the dust cover in the speaker!

3. Ascension

Ascension Active Member

Own a 91 X50 B Hot rod Mod head and can attest the EL 34 Hot Rod mod Amps SCREAM! Owned 2 over the years first was a 100 now this one.
    The X 100 I ran on a 4/12 loaded with 75's as my Church amp wish I had never sold it. Found the 50 in a local Pawn Shop in a REAL anvil flight case for get this $275 OTD!!
    Here is a clip running the 100 no effects .
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=4453782

Here is the 50 no effects also.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    2203xman likes this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

8. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Cool looking amp. Bare bones, like an Ampeg.

9. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

The 6L6GC X-amps did not have quite the gain I was looking for. I don't remember all the mods I did to my X100, I know I changed a few caps and resistors in it (similar to the Hasserl and Torres mods); but the biggest difference was changing the op amps to those used in the fuzzy, EL34 based amps - they use JRC 4558 chips (just as a tube screamer, of course I doubt the circuitry is the same). Very easy and cheap change to make. As a clean, pedal platform - nearly any Carvin works well, but any of the X-series amps will do LOUD clean, very well.

10. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

The X100B is the PBR of hair metal era amps. That’s like the PBR Lite lol

11. royslead

ricksconnected likes this.
  12. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

thanks royslead

royslead likes this.
  13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thats awesome, thank you. You can't buy the mod anymore from Dan Torres so this helps a lot. I would never touch the "B" combo but this one is more of a project unit that I want to play with. Once I get it to sound good I'll see about uping the gain if it needs it. The "pull Hi Lead" just seems like a "bright knob" for the drive channel, no more gain comes in. It does have a very ballsy sound cranked and would do just fine for most rhythm playing. The 6db boost works very good, both channels just get louder, no change in tone.

14. royslead

There is another mod, I think it is called the BFG or BFT mod, anyways look on rig talk, for a post by Singtall, looking for mods on a Carvin Series III. It's older, and someone by the name of Brian helped him. It seems as though the results were even better than those I posted. Maybe give that a try first. If that post would have been around back when I did mine, I would have taken that route first.

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thank you, I will try to find it and let everyone know what I come up with. The amp itself seems well made and pretty straight forward, I think it would be an easy mod to do. I just want something tried and true so I don't screw the amp up. One I saw said it upped the gain 50 times! I hope they meant 50%. I ordered 3 new Mesa 12ax7's for it, this made it sound very good and kept it quiet. I'll mess with the power tubes later. I'll be trying different speakers next, that should bring out what it can do.

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

OK, tried the new little guy out with the mew tubes and different speakers. I went with all new Mesa 12AX7's, great sounding and very clean / low noise. For now I left the JJ 6L6GC's in, I'll bias it just to know where it's at. The speaker's made a huge difference, tried V30, 12H-75 Creamback, EVM12L, and a Carvin G12. The Carvin G12 and the CB were the best sounding, I'll be changing it out to one after I get some Eminence speakers I want to try as well. This thing sounded incredible with the new speaker & tubes, super nice clean and a fantastic drive sound when using my ESP E2 w/ ToneZone & Breed PU's, so much better than when I 1st tried it. I may not even mod it, I'll know after some more testing with other guitars and whatever I pick for the final speaker. I'm so glad I bought this little thing now, still a little heavy but very portable with big balls and very low noise. I'll bet the same amp with the factory "hotrod" circuit is killer. (Very nice for studio work.) Plenty of power and the 6db boost is a very nice touch, I'll try pedal's next to see how it likes them. Without the EQ to compensate for clean to drive channel switching it would be best to use as a single channel amp. Reverb seems much better with good speakers, better than most dig. system's but not quite as good as the long tank unit's in the B models. My TC100 has a somewhat short tank system also, but I think it works cleaner with more depth than the old one. If you get a chance to try one check it out, pretty nice little amp.