Nad...evh5150 Iii 50 Watt

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Hogie34, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Hogie34

Hogie34 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Man, all I can say is this amp f***in' tears it up!! This thing sounds so good from barely nudged on the volume to full blown, kill your hearing levels. I had an old Peavey 5150 and I'm sorry, this amp kills it. I don't know why some guys complain about channel 2 being unusable. Roll the gain off and you've got great crunch . Roll it on and early metal....channel 3 is a beast ! I'll go in depth with a review after this weekend. Gonna set it up for recording. Gonna have to eventually get the matching 2x12 though....damn GAS!!

Dogs of Doom and twothemax like this.
  2. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

Congrats Hogie, those are great amps! I had one exactly like yours. The blue channel is full of goodness. Fingers are crossed and hoping they release the 5150-34 that was teased a while back.

crossroadsnyc and Hogie34 like this.
  3. twothemax

twothemax Active Member

great amps.
    yah the 50 watter will rip your head off ,but the 100 watter will tear apart the city.
    love my 100watter.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Hogie34 likes this.
  4. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

Awesome amp! I havent gassed for another amp in years now personally. Enjoy it!

Hogie34 likes this.
  5. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I haven't played through that amp yet, but I have the 2x12 cab(black). I wish it could handle more power, but it is my favorite cab, in terms of tone. I think this more recent line of EVH signature equipment is probably the best (and I am by no means, a fan of "signature" gear, regardless of who's signature is on it).

Hogie34 likes this.
  6. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Nice! I have the evh lbx lll and it's the best tube amp that I've owned and played through. Congrats those 50 Watters are nice!

saxon68 and Hogie34 like this.
  7. Hogie34

Hogie34 Well-Known Member

yeah, it's quickly becoming my favorite out of all of them. It was neck and neck between it and my dual dark , but it's getting way more play time.

flyinguitars likes this.
  8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

That's the one I'm waiting on too!

Rocktane likes this.
  9. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I don't think the complaints were about channel 2 being unusable, the complaint was that 1 and 2 share gain and EQ, so if you have the gain low and then switch to channel 1 the volume is very low. If you have gain up around noon, its not really an issue, and VooDoo mods has a mod to separate them, I may look into that some day but its really not an issue for me, I don't need pristine cleans. I use a Jet City USA 1x12cab with mine, has a V30 in it. At rehearsals I was using a Peavey XXL 4x12, and holy balls it has thump, drummer made the comment "may not need a bass player" when I was playing with the resonance control. I haven't cranked it like that at home so I am not sure what the 1x12 really can do yet. I plan to try it and see if it is loud enough to gig with.

10. Iwanarock

Iwanarock Active Member

Yep I played one in Guitar Center in NYC a few months ago and loved the way the amp sounded. I have thought several times of picking up a 100W head version but not having midi capabilities has always stopped me. Not sure i know what the 5150-34 is all about exactly.

11. twothemax

twothemax Active Member

suppose to have el 34 tubes instead of the 6l6.

Iwanarock likes this.
  12. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

And a more vintage/ Plexi type circuit.

Iwanarock likes this.