NAD DSL100HR burned up !!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Drinkingdeath01, Jul 2, 2019.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Rubber, plastics and upholstery have their own smells.

2. mickeydg5

The newer DSL series has lower plate voltages it seems. You may want to try around 45mA per tube but do check the plate voltage when biasing.

3. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Active Member

Thank you very much!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. MarshallGuySC

Thank you, Sir!

5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

dont go hot they sound worse its mostly preamp distortion 60% is best IMO.

Mitchell Pearrow and bad565ss like this.
  6. mickeydg5

That is why I always reccommend playing at various volume levels when adjusting bias. What you like best is a product of your playing, your rig, your amplifier/power tubes, the average volume you play at and an appropriate power tube bias that suits all of that best.

7. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I've burned a few. Long stories....that smell is something you don't forget though

8. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I own a towing company and I've been towing cars for the City of Minneapolis for almost twenty years. You tend to get a few crispy ones from time to time. Burned cars have a distinct smell that never leaves you especially if there's a body in them.:pissed:

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  9. mickeydg5

Yes burnt animals have a distinct smell also.

Burnt hair is almost as bad as skunk on a smell scale wouldn't you say?

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  10. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh yes, nothing worse. Burned animals and burned bodies smell similar but there's a difference between the two. I asked the forensic techs about it once and they told me that it has to do with human fat. The fatter the person is the bigger difference in smell.
    I know this thread has gone off the rails but the moral of the story is if you want to smell decent in a car fire stay out of the drive through.:mrburns:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  11. mickeydg5

Irony?

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  12. MarshallGuySC

Well, just an update to the gig yesterday. I'm still recovering from the sweltering temperatures and damn near heat stroke all of us were suffering from! Temps were in the 90's the humidity was through the roof. I thought to myself if there's any day that an amplifier is going to crap out it is going to be on this gig because these are the exact conditions that fried my almost brand new Friedman amp I mentioned earlier.

The amp was sitting out in the direct sunlight 4 hours leading up to Showtime and I'm happy to report that the DSL 100HR didn't miss a Beat, have a single hiccup and to be quite honest sounded very Kick-Ass. I pretty much used the Classic Clean (green) channel and the Ultra Gain Green channel either as-is, or pushed that with one of 2 OD's on my board, or a Friedman Buxom Boost pedal. I might have used the ultra gain red channel 2 or 3 times for a solo here or there, but I thought the Green w/pedals sounded more tight and open. I was running her Hard... Both channel volumes around Noon (Ultra) or 2:00 (Classic) with the Master volumes at Noon & slightly above (for the boosted volume)... It sounded punchy as all hell and definitely had more "Marshall" going on than a plethora of amps I've gigged in recent years. Responded well to volume knob inputs too and the Resonance control came in very handy since it was an outdoor gig and helped to make it sound full... That was at Noon. I played it through a 1936 2x12 with a WGS VET 30 & WGS Invader... Basically a V30 & Higher wattage Greenback. I also used the optional 6 button footswitch which REALLY adds to the versatility.

It sounded tits man, honestly....and ran like a top. I'll run her hard the remainder of the year and will report back if any issues are encountered. And one fact remains... It sure held up better than the new Friedman did on a hot sweltering summer night

13. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

Not all FRIEDMAN'S are created equal.
    Id be willing to bet you had a tube problem & not a FRIEDMAN problem.
    If you like a DSL you should try a JMP or 800, way better.

MarshallGuySC and Boxtrot56 like this.
  14. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"...only Bugeras catch fire according to..."

Don't forget Crates immolate also...
    I had a Crate PA repaired by SLM. (I refused to repair it.) So I sent it to the factory in St. Louis.
    When it shipped back, I decided to test it for 1 hour at less than 1/2 power.

It only took about 15-20 minutes before the smoke started pouring...

Mitchell Pearrow and Boxtrot56 like this.
  15. MarshallGuySC

I've owned quite a few 800's...and as for my Friedman that crapped out. It was repaired by Dave himself, requiring 3 of the circuits and 2 of the tube sockets to be completely resoldered. Hardly a tube problem. I basically took the HR out yesterday to put it through its paces live on a sweltering day to see how she'd do. She performed fantastically. I have any number of amps I can bring to gigs at the moment, a Mezzabarba Mzero OD (previously owned by and built for George Lynch), Bogner Ecstasy 101b and my main gigging amp, a Splawn Supersport 50w EL34... the HR, despite its price, hung in there pretty well, unlike the Friedman on the same kind of day. I agree... Any amp can go south, and yes, it's usually a tube problem... Having to resolder as much of the amp as was done points to something entirely differently, IMO

Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  16. charveldan

I tube problem would easily take out tube sockets & everything you described but its speculative.
    Dave has had tube reliability problems last couple years thats why he went with EH now & ditched the JJ crap. As he buys them by the thousands.
    Good luck with your dsl journey.
    Its funny you talk as if you have experience but at the same time are here trying to sell us on the virtues of the DSL which has been the backbone of the music industry for 25+ years.
    Not sure whats up with that.
    There are 101,000 reasons why your amp had problems.
    However Dave Friedman's Engineering wasn't one of them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  17. MarshallGuySC

I'm actually not trying to sell anything to anyone on here jackass, other than to make the comparison:
    1) Tried a nearly new Friedman amp on a 90+ degree day during a gig and it shit the bed
    2) Tried a nearly new, hugely cheaper, made overseas DSL on a 90+ degree day, and it didn't shit the bed...period. Don't read too much else into it, Skip.
    ... By the way, the explanation from Dave wasn't that it was caused by bad tubes, lol. Dude, you're trying to now diagnose what the problem or cause of my amp crapping out? Not sure what's up with that... other than trying to defend a wrong point of view... Same as recommending "I try an 800"...when I've owned 4 of them previously, HAHA! You HAVE to realize what a dumb dick you sound like, right?

By the way... Dave DID mention that heat COULD have been an issue with the failure of the 3 circuits that failed... He somehow left out those darn JJ tubes, or ANY tubes as being the possible cause.... Probably because mine didn't have JJ tubes (another fail) . Too bad he didn't have you on the case to help diagnose.

18. charveldan

[​IMG]

Well the name of this thread is "DSL HR Burned up" and its been running a week and now seems to have morphed into something else.
    Not really paying that much attention as i have a life and confusing to say the least.
    Heat is the enemy of electronics, no mystery there.
    Maybe you should avoid gigging in temps of the Sun & try AC in the summer.

19. MarshallGuySC

... Or avoid buying Friedman amps. Check.
    I will say I didn't have any issues with a Dirty Shirley or Smallbox heads I've owned, but I never did gig those. I HAVE gigged multiple Bogner amps in those same temps. Never a single issue with Bogners, Mesas or Carol-Ann amps I've had either for that matter... As for not gigging in the heat to avoid amp issues... Have you ever thought of being a band manager? You give sage advice

20. charveldan

How much did Dave charge you to fix your amp ?

Was it under warranty ?

Did he fix it for free minus shipping ?

Maybe your dsl story would have more meaning if you hadn't taken over the OP's thread about his dsl asploding.
    Just a thought.
    Summer gigs have issues. A box fan comes in handy.
    Here we've had rain for months. Most of the July 4th gigs everybody got wet.
    Glad it wasn't me.
    And when its not wet its 98 degrees with 100% humidity.
    Imagine that ...summer being hot !