NAD DSL100HR burned up !!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Drinkingdeath01, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So I've never been a big DSL fan, fine amp just not for me. Well I decided that I'd give the new version a shot. I ordered a brand spanking new one from an online retailer and it showed up two days later. Plugged her in on half power and started dialing in something I would like. Sounded OK but nothing great.

So like I usually do I grabbed my wireless, threw on the full power switch, cranked it up and headed for the living room. I like to noodle while watching TV. After about five minutes of playing on full power it started to cut out. I got up, walked back into my amp room and the whole room smelled like burning plastic. It wasn't the plastic wire insulation that we've all smelled before, it smelled like a burning car. I immediately shut it off and noticed a little stream of smoke coming from the top vent. Not a good sign. Lol.

I'm not a tech and I didn't bother to open it up. I just packed it up and called the retailer. They were super cool and sent out a prepaid packing slip. Great since I thought I would be stuck with return shipping. I told them what happened and they asked if I wanted a replacement. I declined another DSL but decided on the SC20H. Should be here on Friday.

Between my new to me 2204 and now this, I'm not having good luck with amps lately. Hopefully the third ones a charm. Oh well, its the Fourth of July weekend, I'll just make another drink and try not to blow my fingertips off. :cheers:

2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This can’t be true,.........only Bugeras catch fire according to @charveldan! :cool:

walshb, tce63, steveb63 and 2 others like this.
  4. scozz

I think you’re gonna like the JCM800 Studio @Drinkingdeath01, I’ve had mine for almost 6 months now, (head), and I can honestly say this is the best sounding amp I’ve ever played!

Oh, and it’s not a one-trick pony like some say. I’ve been getting some great clean tones from this amp. With the preamp volume at half or below and volume to taste there are some really nice sounds on the clean side of the spectrum.

I’m not talking about crystal cleans like a Twin, I’m talking about cleans with a bit of hair on it. I have no use for Fender cleans and I’ve always preferred Marshalls cleans. But I really didn’t expect this kind of tone from this amp, I’m pleasantly surprised.

Oh and the overdrive/gain on this amp is, imo, incomparable! It is articulate and well defined, and aggressive without being harsh, with no mushiness anywhere to be found! It’s not loaded with a lot of compression like some other Marshalls.

Also, it sounds great on both wattage settings, (5 and 20), I play mine thru a Marshall 1-12 Creamback loaded cab.

I love this amp,....it’s a keeper

[​IMG]

5. charveldan

6. Drinkingdeath01

Thats a great review, thank you. I'm really stoked to hear it on Friday when it arrives. I bet the power tube saturation is incredible.

tce63, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

It may have been damaged during shipping. Always buy with a credit card.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sucks your amp died, but now you have something coming to fire back, I have not had any problems with mine.
    Cheers Mitch

steveb63 and Drinkingdeath01 like this.
  9. scozz

What’s the story with your ‘new to you 2204’ you mentioned @Drinkingdeath01?

10. Drinkingdeath01

I bought it from a guy who had it sitting in his attic since '89. Fired it up and it was cutting out and had a volume drop. Its at my tech now. Should be done soon, I hope.:fever:

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

This is gonna be the amp youre gonna love. :yesway:

12. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

Okay, the real question is, how are you familiar with the smell of burning cars?!?!?!?

walshb, Drinkingdeath01 and mcblink like this.
  13. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Active Member

Gonna put a 2 week old DSL100HR to the test on Saturday... Outdoor gig in the sun, 90 degree temperatures. Yes, I'll have my bulletproof Splawn 50w Supersport sitting as a backup right behind it just in case.

These are similar conditions that completely hosed a POS 50w Friedman amp 2 years ago.

I'll report back how she fared... I will run her hard for the 3 hour set like the filthy whore she is :)!

14. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

"HR" stands for "Heated Rig". Didn't you know that before you purchased? :)

15. scozz

I’d like to hear the details of that POS 50 watt Friedmans supposed demise.

16. MarshallGuySC

Ha, sure... It happened to a 6 month old, 50w Friedman Runt that I only used for gigs (no rehearsals or home practice). It was a 90+ degree gig that Night, even the night time Temps were over 90... And about 4 songs into the gig, absolutely zero signal. Dead. Nada.

So being that I bought it from Sweetwater where my band literally buys tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, and it was still under warranty, and we had an approaching gig coming up, they got Dave himself to assist in the repair, which consisted of completely resoldering 3 of the circuits, and 2 of the tube sockets. I don't know any more than that and that's what was on the repair sheet and I didn't bother to ask for an overly detailed explanation because I immediately got rid of it. I lost faith in its reliability and to be honest... It didn't sound the same when I got it back. I also had a Dirty Shirley at the time, which I never did gig (I prefer a channel Switcher for gigs). In the last 5 years, for live gigs, I've used:
    1) Bogner Shiva EL34 - Never an issue with it. Ran like a top
    2) Friedman Runt 50 - crap
    3) Carol-Ann Triptik II - Never an issue. Great amp
    4) Mesa Boogie TC-50 - crapped out live, 8 months into ownership... Replaced power tubes & all was OK. Had the footswitch fail on me, showing more than 1 channel selected. Replaced under warranty. Sounded thin live & got rid of it
    5) Splawn 50w Supersport - Kicks ass and sounds great live. Never an issue
    6) Soon to be the DSL 100HR...Have a gig this Sat and curious to see how she does... It's the cheapest of all the amps I've played live and will laugh if she makes it through vs. The Friedman :) I think it sounds better too, TBH

I'll post the results after Saturday. My band sometimes gigs outdoor venues in HOT weather... And that's where the reliability... Or lack thereof... Will rear its head. All my gear is 100% meticulously maintained and kept in road cases. If something fails, which isn't an obvious thing like a tube... I become suspect of it and usually look for something else. My Friedman amp I used live became one of those examples

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    BftGibson and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. charveldan

Not a fan of the Runt or smaller watt amps in general.
    Sounds like you may have had a tube take a shit & take out some stuff. First Friedman horror story ive heard.
    But hardly the first tube problem especially if they were JJ's.
    If your DSL is coming from the factory, good chance it will be biased cold.

MarshallGuySC likes this.
  18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

dsl40c ran like a champ for 4 years and cranked it loud every weekend:) lets see how my new marshalls are.

19. MarshallGuySC

I doubt I'll get around to checking the bias before the gig, but what's an ideal setting? I'll set it over the long weekend. Thx much for your input

20. charveldan

I had a JCM-2K DSL 100 i biased right around 80. Never had a problem. Was a great amp.