NAD "Ceriatone Chupacabra"

pittbull

Reaction score
So Mark Camron took a original Jose modded marshall and did some tweaks to it

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
So Mark Camron took a original Jose modded marshall and did some tweaks to it
The Ceriatone Molecular is a copy of Camerons Atomica.

The difference between the Chupa and the Yeti, is only 3 resistor values as I recall. If you compare schematics they are otherwise identical! Very minor.

Last edited:

FourT6and2

Reaction score
Some misinformation I'd like to correct.

The Chupacabra was taken from a *wrong* schematic posted to the SLO Clone Forum of a one-off build by Mike Fortin. And that amp was a typical Jose Mod JCM800 type of amp. Cameron has made similar designs as well.

The Molecular is a copy of the FRIEDMAN (not Cameron) Atomica, during the failed partnership between the two. And the schematic was again taken from the SLO Clone Forum.

The Gargoyle is a copy of the Fortin Meshuggah, taken from an in-progress schematic I posted to the SLO Clone Forum. And the Meshuggah is just a JCM800 with the same old Jose mod that's been floating around for 40 years. And was again taken from the SLO Clone Forum.

The Yeti and King Kong appear to be attempts to get closer to the CCV sound by slightly changing some of the values in the Chupacabra. But really... all of these amps are simply revoiced iterations of the JCM800 with a Jose mod (pre-PI master volume, clipping diodes, goosed gain stages, and some bright caps for more bite). They are all the exact same circuit topology. And if you look at the layouts/schematics that are available, this is all very plain and easy to see.

Here is an example I built. It's a blend of all of these designs, voiced to my own personal preferences. But it's just a JCM800 clone with a "Jose Mod" using values that I think sound good for my style of playing and my gear. I used an empty Ceriatone chassis and empty board. Custom iron from Merren to my specifications and a 6-position clipping control. Sound-wise, it falls somewhere between a Meshuggah and Atomica. I've built a few like this, all with slight variations and I think a couple of members here on this forum own them now.

img_8080_recovered_by_haftelm_dcshukc-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Interesting, in the fact that Nik at Ceriatone has mentioned that he has no plans on producing a SLO Clone , in the immediate future.
You think he stole all 3 of those circuits from a SLO Clone forum?
Id love to see a link to the schematic in this first statement: "The Chupacabra was taken from a *wrong* schematic posted to the SLO Clone Forum of a one-off build by Mike Fortin. ".
Please! Id like to compare!

Some misinformation I'd like to correct.

The Chupacabra was taken from a *wrong* schematic posted to the SLO Clone Forum of a one-off build by Mike Fortin. And that amp was a typical Jose Mod JCM800 type of amp. Cameron has made similar designs as well.

The Molecular is a copy of the FRIEDMAN (not Cameron) Atomica, during the failed partnership between the two. And the schematic was again taken from the SLO Clone Forum.

The Gargoyle is a copy of the Fortin Meshuggah, taken from an in-progress schematic I posted to the SLO Clone Forum. And the Meshuggah is just a JCM800 with the same old Jose mod that's been floating around for 40 years. And was again taken from the SLO Clone Forum.

The Yeti and King Kong appear to be attempts to get closer to the CCV sound by slightly changing some of the values in the Chupacabra. But really... all of these amps are simply revoiced iterations of the JCM800 with a Jose mod (pre-PI master volume, clipping diodes, goosed gain stages, and some bright caps for more bite). They are all the exact same circuit topology. And if you look at the layouts/schematics that are available, this is all very plain and easy to see.

Here is an example I built. It's a blend of all of these designs, voiced to my own personal preferences. But it's just a JCM800 clone with a "Jose Mod" using values that I think sound good for my style of playing and my gear. I used an empty Ceriatone chassis and empty board. Custom iron from Merren to my specifications and a 6-position clipping control. Sound-wise, it falls somewhere between a Meshuggah and Atomica. I've built a few like this, all with slight variations and I think a couple of members here on this forum own them now.

img_8080_recovered_by_haftelm_dcshukc-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

FourT6and2

Reaction score
Interesting, in the fact that Nik at Ceriatone has mentioned that he has no plans on producing a SLO Clone , in the immediate future.
You think he stole all 3 of those circuits from a SLO Clone forum?
Id love to see a link to the schematic in this first statement: "The Chupacabra was taken from a *wrong* schematic posted to the SLO Clone Forum of a one-off build by Mike Fortin. ".
Please! Id like to compare!

I don't have the energy to rehash it all via forums, other than what I already posted. This crap is old news. I sent you a PM and if you wanna have a conversation, let me know. I'm happy to chat on the phone. Ceriatone's amps are fine. But it's not like Nik divined them one night after an LSD trip lol. They're simply taken from schematics he finds on DIY forums—including SLO Clone (which has an archive of tons of amps, not just the SLO).

Last edited:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I don't have the energy to rehash it all via forums, other than what I already posted. This crap is old news. I sent you a PM and if you wanna have a conversation, let me know. I'm happy to chat on the phone. Ceriatone's amps are fine. But it's not like Nik divined them one night after an LSD trip lol. They're simply taken from schematics he finds on DIY forums—including SLO Clone (which has an archive of tons of amps, not just the SLO).
Some wild accusations there!
Wow.
So a guy who has a 12 month waiting list, is doing acid, and hanging out in a SLO clone forum!
Im putting my boots on!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I feel your pain!
Im in the same exact boat.
I ordered a 50, but the 100 is only $150 more as I recall.
Im torn.
I sure the 100 will have more "ooomph", but the 50 should push the tubes into submission much sooner.
I believe the correct answer is all 3! SOY, a 50 watt Yeti, AND a 100 watt Chupa!
Have you received your Ceriatone?

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Have you received your Ceriatone?
I have 1 on order, and just recently picked up a Yeti on used market.
No wait!
Im looking forward to receiving a brand new one as well...
Ive still got 3 or 4 moths to go on the new one.
In the mean-time, this 50 watt Yeti is getting a work-out, and Im enjoying it 100% !
Great amps!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, after a looong 6 week wait my Chupacabra 50 just arrived! I shipped from Malaysia tuesday and got here friday, unbelievable. I haven't tried it yet but sure will tonight and over the weekend. I'll let you know the good and bad. From what we have seen so far the build quality is excellent, except for a "Ruby" tube. Once I break it in and get used to it, then I'll try some other tubes. Time will tell.
CONTRATULATIONS!

These amp are great. Based off of Cameron’s high gain version of Arredondo’s circuits. Jose did about 13 mods but only 3 or 4 used the Pre Tone Stack Master Volume with clippers.

Mark had given me the schematics to the lead channel CCV & Jose. I have done upgrades to many Ceriatone Yeti/Chupa/King Kongs. Not that they need any work. Mark called me a few years ago while I was working in a upgrade for one. Mark asked about some components & values. After elaborating, Mark laughed stating he knew exactly which amp Nik reverse engineered as he did not have the values he normally used so he used those values the values Nik uses to this day.

Great sounding amps straight from Nik. Hope he has the effects loop lined out now.

I very happy for you.

David Hopkins

ampeq

Reaction score
CONTRATULATIONS!

These amp are great. Based off of Cameron’s high gain version of Arredondo’s circuits. Jose did about 13 mods but only 3 or 4 used the Pre Tone Stack Master Volume with clippers.

Mark had given me the schematics to the lead channel CCV & Jose. I have done upgrades to many Ceriatone Yeti/Chupa/King Kongs. Not that they need any work. Mark called me a few years ago while I was working in a upgrade for one. Mark asked about some components & values. After elaborating, Mark laughed stating he knew exactly which amp Nik reverse engineered as he did not have the values he normally used so he used those values the values Nik uses to this day.

Great sounding amps straight from Nik. Hope he has the effects loop lined out now.

I very happy for you.

David Hopkins
Thanks Dave, I have two more coming now, a 100w Chupacabra and a 100w King Kong. Both have buff. loops and the drive ch of the KK is wired like the Chupa. I think I have about 12-15 weeks to go. I already have about 6 months in now, they better be worth the wait.

ampeq

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I have two more coming now, a 100w Chupacabra and a 100w King Kong. Both have buff. loops and the drive ch of the KK is wired like the Chupa. I think I have about 12-15 weeks to go. I already have about 6 months in now, they better be worth the wait.
OK, I talked to Nik. I have to email him the 1st week in aug. and pay the balance and they will go into production. This is just about right also and will bring it to the 10 month time slot. I can't wait to try the KK, I'm having it built like a Chupacabra. I guess they are more like a Yeti normally. It should be a great 2 ch amp, we'll see. The other is just a 100w Chupa, and both have buffered loop's. I'll most likely sell my 50w Chupa, and maybe my 2202 depending on what the KK can do. We're getting close! Nik was right on the time frame, he said about 10 month's and that's just about where it will come in at. I'll keep you posted.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
OK, I talked to Nik. I have to email him the 1st week in aug. and pay the balance and they will go into production. This is just about right also and will bring it to the 10 month time slot. I can't wait to try the KK, I'm having it built like a Chupacabra. I guess they are more like a Yeti normally. It should be a great 2 ch amp, we'll see. The other is just a 100w Chupa, and both have buffered loop's. I'll most likely sell my 50w Chupa, and maybe my 2202 depending on what the KK can do. We're getting close! Nik was right on the time frame, he said about 10 month's and that's just about where it will come in at. I'll keep you posted.
Thats great news!
If I am doing my math correctly, my new 100 watt Ceriatone, will be built will be right after yours!
I ordered in January of this year.
But I have no immediate plans on selling my 50 watt Yeti.
Wish I had ordered 3 of them back in January, as I am already wanting another model as well!

ampeq

Reaction score
Thats great news!
If I am doing my math correctly, my new 100 watt Ceriatone, will be built will be right after yours!
I ordered in January of this year.
But I have no immediate plans on selling my 50 watt Yeti.
Wish I had ordered 3 of them back in January, as I am already wanting another model as well!
Yeah, sounds like you should email him the 1st week in sep. or so. Once they are in the line up it does not take very long. We're getting close now!