NAD:Ceriatone 2550 Silver Jubilee Clone

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Sep 8, 2020.

1. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek New Member

Hey there, first post on Marshall forum and first "Marshall" (Ceriatone) amp. Quick intro on me: late 40's dude who enjoys SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, AC/DC, Metallica, Ozzy. I play an Elite Strat (stock) and a Les Paul 60's Tribute with Burstbucker 1/2's. Nothing really special about me probably similar to many of you. I plan to build a Marshall 1936 cabinet and wanted your take (since you guys/girls are the recognized Marshall folks) on what speakers to load the cabinet with. Up until now I have been a Fender amp guy, but this Silver Jubilee completely won me over. It does SRV, "Lenny" cleans, Hendrix "Wind Cries Mary" slight breakup, and Metallica Black album all day long. Lots to like here. Why didn't I buy a "Marshall" sooner? Cost is not really too important to me I just want the best two speakers I can put into a Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet that fit what I play and what I play it on with the Silver Jubilee. What are your recomendations? I attached a picture of the new amp comically atop (the feet touch 3/4 of the way on both sides) the 1x12" Eminence V128 cabinet that I built below. Ceriatone 2550 smaller file.jpg

BanditPanda, Darkburst and jchrisf like this.
  2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

BanditPanda likes this.
  3. ClosetSciFiGeek

Thanks Kinkless Tetrode and you even provided a link! Why the Mesa Boogie version? Didn't the original Silver Jubilee come with Celestion Vintage 30's too? How will a Celestion Vintage 30 compare to my Eminence V128?

4. Zado

Zado Active Member

Wrong forum I guess? Anyway Mesa branded V30s are slightly fatter than regular V30 speakers, and that might complement the Jube nicely. With that said, it really depends on your preference, if you play in a band I'd recommend Classic Lead speakers.

5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Why the Mesa version: It's the warmest sounding option. Moreover, if your building your own cab your not stuck with the stock speakers of a store bought cab, so you might as well go with the warmer sounding made in UK option. They are not any more expensive.

The original SJ combos and some 4x12 and 2x12 cabs came with the Marshall version called the G12 Vintage. The G12 Vintage is the original V30. It's the brightest version but not a bad way.

6. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

The real issue is you have way, way too much space on your pedalboard and need to start spending a shit ton of money on new pedals. Welcome:hbang:

Lance Chambers likes this.
  7. ClosetSciFiGeek

Love the pedalboard comment. Too funny!

8. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

Greenbacks if it's a 50 watt head. V30's are for losers :D, or so I've heard.

What? likes this.
  9. ClosetSciFiGeek

Shots fired J Saw. This forum is fun. You guys/gals are way spicier than Strat Talk or TDPRI! I do like Greenbacks. On the left in the picture I have a 5E3 clone that has an Eminence GB128 in it. I think I will hook that up to the head and see what I think. Good suggestion.

J Saw likes this.
  10. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum..

There is no "best" speaker for any amp.. I have the 2525H version of the SIlver Jubilee and would suggest for more classic tones greenbacks would be an excellent choice, and that for a more modern sound the V30 would be a great choice. I use both, in two different 212 cabs and also a 412 Marshall 425a with Hendrix G12c versions of the greenback

fwiw avatar recently had a sale on V30 at around $89.. not sure if still current

Darkburst likes this.
  11. ClosetSciFiGeek

Thanks for the heads up on the Avatar site. Good pricing.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  12. ClosetSciFiGeek