My Schaffer Replica

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Mshayne, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

ust arrived after sitting in customs for the last week , Cant read the serial # maybe its 11493

No chance to use tonight but first impressions-

Its a black pedal.

I like the understated nature of the painted name and logo offset in the upper right corner.

Not too keen on the knobs. Nothing wrong with them they turn, but its a feel type thing. I reckon they are the same as the Orig used so its a nod that direction,

I am sure it does what its supposed to do and if you have not watched the vids or listened to samples try YT.

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon to give it a go.

Thanks Solo Dallas,

I look forward to wearing the paint off and that will take some time its a nice coating.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see some pictures of your new axe.;) Make sure you take lots of pics.:wave:

;>)/

3. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

my bandmate uses one in combination with a YJM100... it's a great pedal for sure :)

dash8311 likes this.
  4. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

Most everybody on this forum has more time playing a guitar then I do but even so this thing is the dogs balls ,,, it really fills and rounds out the sound in a surprising way ( at least to me )
    Is one pedal I am glad I took a chance on even I didn't really understand exactly what it did.

Moose Lewis likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How much are they selling for?

6. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

A bit over three bills plus shipping. And the wait period is close to three months.

SO you can see it was a leap of faith.

7. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

Would love to hear that thing:)...>Congrats

8. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I have both Gold Tag (big box w/ VU meter, that sits on top of your amp) and the pedal as well. Both great. Enjoy.

9. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

If a Gold tag were to come up I would snag it as quickly as I could. But I am happy with the pedal.

I waited too long to order ...

dash8311 likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Search it up on youtube, theres tons of video of solodallas demoing it.

Swede likes this.
  11. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

How does it compare to your typical OD pedal?...>Can you describe it in words?

Mshayne likes this.
  12. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

Well, its not really an OD its a boost so I don't think it adds much to the pre amp tubes,

As far as I can explain it I think what it does Boost the clean signal while compressing top and bottom bringing out mids so its neither thin or too thick.

When I was using it with my or15 gain on minimum vol 4 other settings 12 there was a nice light very 3d sounding crunch which was fairly responsive to guitar volume and attack.

My Marshal benefits from the thickness of the sound as well.

I watched a lot of YT vids and honestly I really couldn't understand the differences with solodallas recordings. I just figured it was a german made compressor and around the web there are a lot of very positive reviews so I finally ordered one figuring if I dint like it I could just sell it on with minimal loss as they are uncommon.

But this thing is a keeper. I think it can really bring out the personality of a good amp.

I am looking forward to receiving my Metro GPM 45 and running it with that.

I have never reviewed a pedal before but then I kinda think most pedals I buy add too much or too little. I can understand why so many in the 70's used this effect,

Moose Lewis and Swede like this.
  13. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

Awesome MShayne....I had never before heard of this pedal, neither did I knew Angus used one all these years. I always assumed it was just his ole SG cranked in a vintage style Marshall

Mshayne likes this.
  14. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

sometimes you just gotta go on faith and there is a lot that is just snake oil.

This actually does something in a nice subtle way that feels natural.

15. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

solo D made a replica of the old radio wireless system that angus (and many others) used in the 70's and 80's, minus the wireless feature.

there is some boost and compression that happens in the original units, and that is what solo d set out to replicate with his pedal and standalone versions.

it was never a stompbox until solo dallas came along...:D

Mshayne and Swede like this.
  16. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

ah ok....So basically Angus used a wireless system, that for reasons unknown changed his tone a wee bit, to the point it became part of his rig/sound.....And now he has recreated that....in a stomp box

That is AWESOME!!!!!

dash8311 and scat7s like this.
  17. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
    My understanding was that AY had used the wireless system and that the input increased the line signal by a few dB. This gave the effect of a clean boost.....subtle, but present. End result....classic, hall of fame tone. Our guy Fil replicated it in a pedal.

Nice :)

18. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

Yes to all the above. In actual fact, it's the 'companding' properties that give it magic.

Companding, you say?

The old SVDS (Schaffer Vega Diversity System) wireless consisted of a compressor at the transmitter, then expander at the receiver, hence compander, THEN on top of all that, a clean boost.

The pedal and big-box Gold Tag version consists of two dials, Input and Output.

Input is the compander (compression/expander), and Output is clean boost. Both have their subtleties individually, but combined together are instantly recognizable and anything but subtle.

It rocks into everything. Marshall, Fender, DI, USB interface, the lot.

Mshayne and scat7s like this.
  19. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

Are you using it as a lead boost, or has it become an 'always on' part of your signal chain?

Just sent payment for one. Curious how others are using it. Seems like it might be a little good magic dust for the amp.
    :cheers:
    Cheers

20. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

I always thought it was funny that Angus claimed to never use any pedals BUT what does a MV do in an amp? Drive the preamp section like a boost or OD. Now we know that he Angus was essentially using a Boost (Schaffer Replica) and MV Marshall amps.