My Marshall Experience & Thoughts(so far)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

In case anyone's interested,i've decided to write a little book about my SHORT Marshall journey so far.:cheers:.
    I bought my 1st ever Marshall about 18mths ago,i just decided that at my age I should at least try one,before i'm forced to hang my boots up one way or another(should write a song good title :D).
    So I bought a JVM215C (used)had it about 8 months then sold it(for a slight profit :applause:)i always felt it didn't perform quite like it should(not based on much but a gut feeling),some really good sounds in it,but just didn't gel with it.

Next I bought an ORI20H(Peach Guitar offer),i like it much better than the JVM(no accounting for taste),but not enough gain & not loud enough & i'm useless with pedals to give it a kick,but I still have it.

I next bought a DSL20HR the "Classic" Ch. is useless(for me), but the "Ultra" Ch.is my best Marshall sound(so far),but 20w is just not loud enough for our 3 piece pub gigs.

So i'm thinking of trying a DSL40CR & hope that does it.

So a little summary of my & opinion of my Marshalls so far, all 3 have been decent "sounding" Amps,but no better or worse sounding than most of the other Amps I've used over my fairly long gigging life,but this is the interesting bit (to Me), they have really put me off using my normal gigging amps (a DC5 & a Rocker30)especially so the DSL,difficult to explain,but with the DSL I just seem to "enjoy" playing my Guitar more & the Guitar just "sits" more comfortably in the Band,i suppose you experienced Marshall guys no this,but for me it's been a bit of a revelation & I don't get many new revelations at my age.
    Sorry if this is boring but of old age mixed with Corona isolation have kicked in.
    Cheers,:band:.

scozz, nickfox, Musicmaniac and 5 others like this.
  2. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Are you looking for input from 40CR guys ?
    If so , I’m one.
    I have several various Marshall Tube Amps and I’m a Tinkerer..
    The 40CR is the first in a long while that seemed to Nail It Stock for me..
    I’ve actually played it more than pondered “What can I do to devalue this one”
    Plus 1 here

3. Graham G

Thanks,to be honest I've pretty much decided to get the 40CR,but opinions are always of value,have you played through a 20HR to do a comparison?,i'm hoping it gives a bit more of everything but retains the "feel" of the 20HR

tce63 and FracStrat like this.
  4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

It won't be miles louder. A great amp, more versatile than the 20 but not oodles more volume. I would have thought 20 should be lots for most pub gigs as you call it. 20 tube watts through a decent speaker gets loud!
    Maybe it's speaker and amp placement that needs looking at as well.

El Gringo, scozz, Musicmaniac and 2 others like this.
  5. FracStrat

I have not played thru a 20CR .. I have 4 Amps that are 40 watters..
    While they are no match for the 6100 or the 9200 , they all have all of the push I could ever need in a Club/Bar situation.. No Face Melting yet you can achieve the “Turn that shite down !!” award from most bar owners and all wives..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Well-Known Member

Love my CR40.

nickfox and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Graham G

Well i'm not sure what else to call our gigs,we play in Pubs:D,if you're not familiar with UK pubs,more like a Bar than a Club?,i just haven't found the 20 watters I have to be up to our 3 piece band,for instance my Rocker30 is about enough(just) & my DC5 & the JVM had more than enough.
    My speaker is an EVM12 in a Mesa Cab & placement is usually restricted,because of lack of space.

Yes i think the DSL40 should be ok,the JVM certainly was in terms of "welly"
    Thanks again.

8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

:thumbs:DSL40CR:thumbs:

Rds, nickfox and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Sapient

Sapient Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Being a longtime Marshall fan (35 years), it's in MHO that most (gulp) do not sound that good to me. It's the classics and the exceptions that I love. For example, JCM800, 6100, 2525 Jubilee, JVM410HJS, etc. are all stellar amps. Until you've gotten yourself familiar with the history and debatable pitfall eras and off amps in regards tone, you really can't judge one by the other. In the '80's and early '90's you could just go out and get yourself a kickass amp quite blindly.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

A DSL40 through its 97 db speaker probably won't be any louder than the DSL 20 through the EV. Now running the 40 through the EV will probably get a little more volume, since I think the EV is pretty efficient.

The thing about watts to volume is that its a logarithmic relationship. It takes a lot of watts to produce a relatively small increase in volume.

However, my 50 watt Jubilee isn't much louder than than my 20 watt Jubilee through the same speakers, but it occupies more space in the sound spectrum. It seems to have more girth and presence in a mix without being much louder in terms of sound pressure.

scozz, Geeze, FracStrat and 1 other person like this.
  11. FracStrat

There is a distinct difference in Amplitude and decibel.. Think of the 9v AM Pocket Radios we had as kids .. The Blaring Noise is amplitude .. You want watts for sound pressure ( decibel )
    You could always pick up a 50 watt combo as well but you’ve have described the 40CR in my mind ..

12. Graham G

With never owning older Marshalls I have no yardstick to compare them with modern Marshalls,so they don't mean as much to me,also I suppose I'm a bit unusual(for an old arse) in thinking that modern amps & Guitars are excellent & compare favourably with vintage & classic gear,i think the choice of equipment now offers more than in the past & the spec & performance of a something as modestly priced as the DSL40CR (for example),is off the scale to something like the Selmer Truvoice that I started with as a young player which was a budget Amp in those days even compared to an AC30.
    I suspect it's just as easy to buy a really good amp nowadays as it ever was & it may also be better value.
    I read this often on Forums,"it's a great time to be a Guitarist" & I think that's true.

13. Graham G

I know I stated the "Volume" of the 20watt Heads as not being enough,bit I probably should have said "guts" or "welly",just in spec terms the DSL20 & ORI20 have the same valve compliment as the DSL40,but the bigger transformers etc,just give the higher wattage amps more impact & bit like my old AC30's always punched way above their 30 watt ratings & they where heavy with big transformers for quoted the wattage spec

I am going to buy a DSL40CR,i just have a feeling it will be just what I would like the DSL20 to be.:fingersx:

14. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

The DSL 40 will give you what you need. You wouldn't be the first guy I have seen who traded their Mesa or Orange amps in for something that cuts in the band.
    Mesa and Orange amps sound great alone but add them to a band situation and you will want that crappier sounding Marshall :)

15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

If the Mesa is a closed back, it will project but not disperse as well. An open back40 is a very good amp ! I agree, while I like my 800, I too am a fan of more modern tones.

16. Sapient

Sapient Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

For sure a great time for guitar regarding the assortment of amps available. :) I'm just saying sometimes Marshalls have you doing what your doing ..buying and trying. You might want to try out a JCM800 or mini Jubilee if that's by chance what you might take a long road to. In any case, happy Marshall hunting and I do hear good things about the 40CR here from the members; which certainly speaks a lot in itself.

:yesway:

17. Kinkless Tetrode

I'm just going by my experience with a 50 watt vs a 20 watt version of about the same amp. I also have a DSL15 and have played through DSL50s. The DSL15 can be stupid loud.

The first time I played my mini I was taken aback by how it differed from my old 50 watt. Then I swapped the same tubes I was running in the 50 watt and it became real close. The 20 watt amps seem to be real sensitive to tubes. While the 50 watt versions of these amps seem to be more consistent with a variety of tubes and also speakers.

I agree the DSL 40 might deliver what the OP is looking for.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  18. Kinkless Tetrode

I don't think anybody has brought this up yet, and I don't mean to be stirring the pot because it can be controversial, but often the remedy for helping an amp sit in a live mix right is a Vintage 30 speaker.

A very good point. An open back cab is often the correct tool for a pub environment.

19. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Try and get hold of the 6 button footswitch if you can, makes a major difference to the versatility of the 40CR.

20. FracStrat

Or Midi .. PCs and a Couple of CCs allow for the same control