My JCM900....

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Deftone, Feb 11, 2021.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

there is ya a business idea bro. i havent seen a shirt like that yet.

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

They would probably sell like mad ..

3. ricksdisconnected

yeah but after a while it might FIZZ out. :D

Crikey, Ray Baker, Old Punker and 2 others like this.
  4. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Is that pic of the guy sniffing the cork in the public domain? I could Photoshop an ECC83 in there, and then add "Cork Sniffer" text underneath. I'd use Marshall black with white piping for the shirt colors.

Crikey, Old Punker, Deftone and 2 others like this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

have at it lol. would be funny as hell.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Deftone

Deftone Well-Known Member

He wanted $1200, I got it for $1100. The owner has some sort of degenerative disease, I felt bad trying to talk him down any lower. He seemed happy to see it go to someone who would use it.

Exactly.

I know right? Nailed it.

7. Guitar Dave

Guitar Dave Member

I really don't think anyones fighting over solid state distortion. I'm no electrical engineer or anything but I think almost any amp that has a boost, or 2 more channels is bound to have transistors or op amps in the signal path. Take a JCM 800 2204 and you stick a Tube Screamer or a Boss DS1 up front in the signal path that is basically the same thing. I see you have Marshall JCM600 and an Origin 50 in your signature. Both have op amps in there signal paths so what does that make them? I'm not trying to knock your choice of amps. But I don't believe either is 100% pure valve signal chain like a JTM45, JMP or "single" channel JCM800's.. To me there both Marshalls so I'd be proud to own either one..

8. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

I had a 4210 combo before I ended up with the JCM 900 MKIII combo I use now. I didn't like the 4210 as much as the MKIII or the Dual Reverb. I might have just had a bad one though. It was just ok. It was an early year so I probably just got one that didn't have the issues ironed out. That's another one of the problems with the whole 900 vs 800 debate. They can be wildly inconsistent amp to amp in the same model depending on year and this far on, how they have been maintained factors in as well.

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitar Dave like this.
  9. Guitar Dave

Guitar Dave Member

Your absolutely right Sometimes new tubes or trying an EQ in loop etc. The pick ups in your guitar can make big difference too.. My 4500 was my first tube amp. I swapped a ESP LTD EC-500 for it, despite reading a bunch of trash talk about it beforehand I loved it from the first time I plugged in. There's no diodes in Channel A but I still enjoy both channels.. I actually have the MKIII 2502 combo too. Lol. I just recently picked up a pair of greenbacks for it. Great Classic rock machine but also has lots of gain on tap with that sensitivity knob plus the dual masters is sweet for solo's etc.

10. Guitar Dave

Guitar Dave Member

Lmao.. I know I know eh. Guess I'm usually more of a reader & have gained a ton of knowledge off this an many others like it.. I'm usually not much for posting but after having all 3 versions of the 900's I get sick of listening to it. I'm not saying it's a JMP or an 800 but for the price tag they always do the job. I think its as simple as setting the Gain, Volume & EQ up properly that throws a lot of people off.

11. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Both the JCM600 (clearly stated in the manual) and the ORI50H are all valve amplifiers like the JTMs, JMPs, and some JCMs, meaning that amplification of the signal is done exclusively by valves. Believe it or not. The 600 does have a diode-clipping circuit in the OD channel that clips the signal. It is easily bypassed, which I have recently done. Regardless, I run both my amps completely clean and, rather than use the 600's OD channel or the Origin's Boost, my distortion is achieved by an Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n aka Plexi-in-Box all valve distortion pedal.

My complaint about the JCM900 4XXX is that the preamp valves are used to control the EQ, FX Loop, and Reverb. However, op-amps are used for the preamp gain stages. Converting one to all valves is not an easy task. As you mentioned, this is somewhat like using a Tube Screamer or DS-1. That is unacceptable. I would never use a solid state distortion pedal. So, I guess the argument here really is about solid state distortion.

Some people like the high gain characteristics of solid state distortion. The 4XXXs were designed partly in response to requests from guitarists playing 80s and 90s metal. I am from the Classic Rock era, and need the timbres from the 60s and 70s. Someone asked why some people don't like them. I am one who doesn't, and this is why. It's not the right tool for the job for me, but I can see where it would be.

Dean Swindell likes this.
  12. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

"The owner has some sort of degenerative disease" - you might want to use some sanitizer on the knobs first. :wow:

Seriously, CONGRATS on a nice score! :applause: I think you will enjoy your new stack immensely.

13. Deftone

I wouldn't buy anything in that condition w/o using some sort of sanitizer on it.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  14. Guitar Dave

Guitar Dave Member

Well I can see we could do this all day so just one last post and then I'm done. If you consider using a Tube screamer or DS-1 "unacceptable" then our idea's on tone are just different and that's ok.. I looked at the schematics for the 600 & didn't find them to be much different than my 900DR.. For whatever reason most of the DR schematics floating around the web seem to be mostly later Issues & you are correct about some of the designs but mine is an early JCM900 with JMP52A PC0189 Issue 1 PRE AMP / JMP50B PC0112 POWER AMP. Take a peek if you can find one.. Regardless, both your amps are packed full of solid state goodies in there signal paths..At this point it's bin fun making up for all the trash I've read.. Answer this question.. If the Dual Reverb was so bad how come they reissued it? And BTW, when's the JCM-600 reissue coming out ?? Never.. Cause there design is undependable & they're known to have overheating issues.. That last parts for all the JCM-900 owners out there who enjoy there gear because they Aren't Cork Sniffing Butt Plugs.

15. Deftone

Quote of the day.

[​IMG]

16. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

He can get 2203 sounds with Eq in effects loop. Tell him to try it

Deftone and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

True dat!

18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

When I Visited Marshall factory they were surprised that internet warriors didnt like the 900s. They said the 900 is an 800 but with more gain. 900s made in uk. Id buy another 4100dr in a heartbeat

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  19. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

If i add the eq to loop, you be hard pressed to note difference with 800 2203 plus my 900 is versatile. Im mean they suck. Dont buy it. If you see an abandoned 900 let me know. Ill take it to the garbage dump. Lol

20. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

To me, if an amp sounds good, I really don't care what's in the signal path. My JCM900 4102 is one of my favorite gigging amps. I tend to use my JVM more for its versatility for my cover band, but the JCM900 is an excellent amp.

To the OP, congrats on a great "new" amp. Enjoy it good health!