My first Marshall 4x12

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Maggot Brain, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I finally own a genuine Marshall 4x12 cab, it's a 1980s JCM800 badged 1960A loaded with 4 celestion G12T-75.

This is a huge improvment over my previous cab, a Acoustics 4x12A loaded with no name speakers. I bought the Acoustic cab many years ago when I was "poor" and made due with it ever since. I went to pick up a DSL1 from a guy unloading all his gear and made an offer on this cab... $400, I think I made out pretty good.

While I have been searching for a matching cab for my VM 2266 with the Hendrix celestions, I couldnt pass up this cab. While the G12Ts are probably not the best match for the VM, they do sound much better than the Acoustic cab. I have noticed this Marshall cab sounds a lot quieter than the Acoustic cab, I believe it's because the speakers are much higher quality and the frequencies arent ear piercing like the Acoustic's crummy speakers.

I plan to one day own another JCM800 so this cab will be perfect for when that day comes.

Attached Files:

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

I find with those cabs if you ditch the stock speaker wire ( push on aluminum tabs) and replace with 18-16 gauge copper ( soldered in ) the bottom end fills out nicely.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Nice! Congrats on that action.

FogDweller and Maggot Brain like this.
  4. axe arsenal

axe arsenal Well-Known Member

I think in the US it's a seller's paradise, getting 400 dollar for a JCM 800 cabinet...
    Over here in Belgium I had a JCM 800 cabinet advertised for weeks at 240 Euro and a TSL100 head for 340 Euro and in both cases it was still too much..

Maggot Brain likes this.
  5. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

You got a fairly good deal. Our local GC sells used cabs for $450 all the time.

Turn it on eleven! :drunk:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Congrats on the cab. I got a little better deal recently , but when I went to meet the guy , he had it in the back seat of a small car, I have no clue how he did that .
    Then it was missing all the screws to hold the back panel on, except "one", and the badge plate , and sticker was missing....seriously???
    He had removed some swirley grill cloth that he liked and thats how those parts came up missing...lol
    The picture /add didn't show this.
    In the end , it was a blessing, it revealed the original grill cloth "black" still in great condition, and I just got the replacement screws and washers at a hardware store, then replaced the badge.
    All that allowed me some room to bargain , and get the already low price down further.
    Mine is a 1960A same speakers as yours. Except mine is a JCM900 cab that was originally 280w, but someone put old T75's in it that sound very nice, not all tubby like some I've had before.
    A well broken in T75 is hard to beat.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  7. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

Very cool, congrats! :rock:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  8. Eddie78

Eddie78 Member

G12T-75 are my favourite Celestion speaker, I know a lot of people hate them, but for hard rock and metal they are hard to beat! If from the 80's stock Marshall cabinet were equipped with G12T-75, there's a reason! Personally I hate V30, but it's all subjective..

DBI5 and Maggot Brain like this.
  9. Eddie78

Eddie78 Member

And Marshall 1960B, straight version, is better than slant.. more volume (capacity), more bass frequency, more balls! Try it if you can, you will love it!

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. Maggot Brain

I'm really digging it paired with my VM, I still plan to one day get the matching A and B cabs for it. I do really like the high dynamic range on these speakers. I seldom play on the HDR and forget how much gain is on tap!

The Marshall cab is slightly brighter than the Acoustic cab and much tighter. The acoustic cab would get boomy and farty with the bass too high. I can crank the bass and the body with no flubs or farts with the Marshall. I am also really digging the DSL1Cr thru the Marshall cab, those G12T-75s really complimemt the red channel. I am dying to play a JCM800 thru the cab... So many Marshalls I want! My son just turned 2 so I gotta cool it with the guitar goodies... I kinda splurged this past week. Luckily my son is a natural and is obsessed with guitar. He has his own little guitar and when he gets a little older I am getting him one of those Pee Wee Les Pauls. The other day he grabbed my strat, drug it across the room (ouch) and insisted I plug it into an amp. He sat with it and strummed it for about 45 mins with smiles ear to ear.

I like to use the excuse with his mother that all this gear will be one day his... kinda works! Haha

anitoli likes this.
  11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

I have a 2203x in to a 900 slant ( along with a 2555x, 6100's, JCM 800 Super Bass, X100b, MTS3200 ) with G12T 75's and it is the real Marshall deal.

DBI5 and Maggot Brain like this.
  12. Maggot Brain

I have to say I am very impressed and happy with the difference speakers can make. I finally had the chance to give my VM a proper play thru the new cab and I couldnt be happier. It was definitely the missing ingredient in the rig and I can confidentially say it sounds proper Marshall now.

So many years I played thru the cheap cab with cheap speakers, I admit I was ignorant to how important speakers are. I really enjoy the G12T-75s with the VM, it actually pairs really well to my ears. I really like the subdued midrange of the speakers, they add a nice chunky sound. While the lows are nice and tight and the highs are crisp and musical.

I will never take speakers for granted again.

GIBSON67 and anitoli like this.