My final Marshall thoughts

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

These two amps have become my favorites! I have owned just about every Marshall ever made...except the original Plexi/Bassman...

After roughly 15 years of buying, using, and selling 800s, 900s, Jubes, JVM, DSLs I keep coming back to these amps.

These two DSL 100s were made in the year 2000. I have replaced both transformers and added a choke. Power transformer is Classictone, output transformer is specially made by Heyboer. Choke is a 3H 250mA Heyboer. Tubes are original Svelanta Winged Cs and a collection of GE, RFT and Raytheon preamp tubes. One of the amp's I replaced the mainboard with the Marshall upgrade...not because it needed it, but because to be safe...I replaced it anyway. I am going to replace the other one as well next month... however, it too works perfectly.
    These amps are tone bombs! They deliver honest Marshall vibe in spades man... I have a 2204 that I love to death...it's from 86', but I prefer these amps man...for gigging...insane. They sound better and more importantly, FUNCTION better then any other Marshall I've ever owned.
    All said I probably got about a grand into the heads each. But I will NEVER sell them.. well until I can't play anymore... in which will see me croaking shortly thereafter...when that occurs.
    dslx2.jpg backofdsl.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

That's good info when some have accidentally fried their transformers. Not unusual that Marshall's loose some of their mojo with a replacement.

3. Adrian R

Not sure what you mean by this. The amp became more vintage sounding with the replacements. Luv the Classictone power transformer. Amp seems quieter, more stable..and runs cooler. Downside? Weight...the replacements and the choke made the head much heavier...like the older 800s.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  4. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

These thoughts sound so....

final.

:(

Old Punker and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. Valvelust

Valvelust Well-Known Member

I see your list of use starting with the JCM 800. Have you had experience starting with the different years and models of the JMP series, 1959, 1987, 2203, 2204 to name the basic few?

6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Cool amps, but having to possibly shell out to repair the defective pcb bias drift issue makes them much less attractive. And not doing so as a preventative measure is a risk. And then getting them repaired down the line when something inevitably fails compared to a 1959/1987, 2203/2204, in terms of parts availability and local tech availability. The pcb issue makes me leery to run my DSL50 full out, but it does have a really cool snarl thing when doing so.

7. Adrian R

Yes, I owned and used a 1980 2203 JMP...arguably one of the best sounding Marshalls I've ever used...however, it cannot be used live like the DSL can... Man I CANNOT stress this enough. The DSL's red channel is insanely good...AT VOLUME... Their a hotrodded Marshall with an all tube circuit path... People pay BIG DOLLARS to get that much gain and clarity out of single channel Marshall having it modded... I use the red channel as a sold boost... it's killer...NO single channel Marshall can touch it... I tried a 2203 with a an FX loop..boosting that way....not as good..no way.

8. Adrian R

This is such bullshit...I have had to defend these amps for years. Don't flippin believe everything you read! Only *some* will fail...and only within a certain group of board production runs. Unfortunately...these two amps I have came equipped with boards from that production run... in which is clearly illustrated on the board...the part# that is. The board DID NOT fail...I replaced it anyway just to be safe. Their $220...and brain dead to replace by yourself. Even with the extra money invested their worth it.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Problem is, knowing if the one you have (or are thinking of buying) is in the fail camp. For most people that means a board + tech fee. And that is if a board is still available if / when it fails or for preventative, and if a local tech is available.

By the way, what speakers do you run with your DSL's? And what sort of style do you use the DSL's for? The red channel on my DSL50 is pretty gainy, even at the lowest gain setting. The green channel, much less so and more to my liking, more like an 800. This amp can do some cool stuff, but I do have some personal issues with it for sure. For the cool things it does, I don't see any point in swapping transformers.

10. Adrian R

CHECK THE BIAS..period. If you are running any hotter then 35-37mV per tube it's gonna sound like 'sheet'.. I run V30s, G12K 100s, G12T-75s..they all sound good to me. DSLs, since their all tube circuit path...really respond to different power and preamp tubes...HUGE difference it tubes. Experiment with different preamp tubes...and don't overlook the PI position VERY IMPORTANT. Most importantly, make sure the amp is not running too hot... By the way...those 2000 DSL 50s I think will be worth more money in the future. Their getting harder to find...especially in good condition. They never had any board issues... Hold on to it...or sell it to me if you don't want it..lol

Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  11. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

12. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Funny thing. I was dogging on my DSL50 a bit, trying to get plexi tones out of it. It just won't do that. So I got a plexi clone, intending to sell the DSL50. But when I went back to the DSL50 after playing the plexi clone for a while, I couldn't make myself sell it. It's a rockin amp and does a few things well for me. One is a chimey overdriven clean on the green channel. Also on the green channel is vintage low mids mid gain thing. Then a red channel wild snarly thing that I haven't heard in 800's or plexis and that I haven't heard anyone demo with these amps (they aren't pushing the amp). It is it's own amp that does some stuff well, which I only really came to terms with after getting the plexi clone. The plexi clone can't do what it does and the other way around.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Adrian R

I see you edited your original post. I must reiterate in saying the DSL 50 had no board history issues...none that I know of anyway. Check the bias dude...very important. You know what I like most about the DSL's red channel. No pedal required to get awesome metal tones... plug straight into it... and it responds really well to pickups... even the green crunch channel. I acquire and modded a DSL 100 for a close friend of mine... just adding a choke..and getting the right tubes. He only uses active pickups in his guitars...two 4x12 cabs...all original recording artist He gets killer tones outta that thing..plugging straight into the amp... Known this guy for decades... use to be just a Peavy freak... got him this Marshall and he's totally blown away... People whom record at his studio always compliment his sound... and he has had people wanting to contact me to get the same amp for them..lol... Many people are just clueless in how to get good tone.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

That's awesome that you have amps that you like, man! I think it says a lot about these that Joe Bonamassa himself specified DSL 100's like this as an acceptable fly-in rig.

Mitchell Pearrow and Adrian R like this.
  15. What?

What? Well-Known Member

My DSL50 has no bias drift issue. Checked it over multiple times, including a run through here with ampmadscientist. It seems to be an issue with the 100 watters, a pcb material / overheating issue. Maybe it is the case that 2xEL34's doesn't put out enough heat to bring out the pcb issue. I don't know what the story is on TSL's, but the accounts of bias drift I have seen with JVM's is also for the 100 watters.

Mitchell Pearrow and Adrian R like this.