Must have 80's Hair Metal Pedals

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
Jchrisf, I am not sure how they (Dio era Viv Campbell and '80's era lynch) used the Ge-7, but, I recall that Vivian Campbell said that he would use one or the other ( Boss Sd-1 and Boss Ge-7) to boost his Jcm 800 2203's. He said he would NEVER use them both at the same time because it would be " World war 3". Lynch also said that he would use one or the other. In my experience, you can set the Ge-7 fairly neutral and use the boost slider......imo, even then, thier is that slight compression feel to the sound (neutral/ flat eq sliders)......I would bump the mids a bit, and I'm pretty sure thats the 'norm' when boosting a Marshall master volume.
I loaned out my Ts-10 way back in the '90's and never got it back.... and John Mayer ( of all people !!!) Has made the price of that pedal sky rocket), so nowadays I am really liking an old Boss Sd-1 that I picked up. I also am fond of an old '90's Ts-5 and a Bad Monkey.........

zachman

Reaction score
oh you damn well know if a rack comes up the zach comes up. lol

If that's true, it's only because I'm old(er) now, and have been doing the rack thing since the 80's and never really stopped evolving the way I use them-- when everyone else was down-sizing and going minimalist, but the fx gear selection has remained pretty consistent, while adding the Amp selector and Audio Controller (Loop switching, and MIDI control) came a bit later.

My 1st rack device was a Yamaha SPX90. Loved it!. Then I got the SPX90II because I wanted longer Delay times. Then I got a TC 2290, and used the SPX90 w/ the 2290 together, then the rest is history. I was hooked, trying to find the right recipe to get the sound I heard on the albums I loved and the sounds I heard in my head. FUN Times!!!!!!

Originally I was using my TC 2290 as the controller for everything (around '85-'86), Only using MIDI Program changes and the 5 loops in the 2290 w/ a line mixer, but as I discovered the need to expand my options-- another solution was needed.

Then I went to a W/D/W architecture from the previous Stereo configurations and the last Big Rig was probably the 13th one I designed and built for myself.

My thought process was, I was going to use the rig for Studio Session work, as well as live performances-- so I wanted to minimize the tap-dance routine as much as possible, and in the studio I didn't want to use time to switch amps and re-mic and set levels everytime (time being $ and all) I had to do a different track, so... Ended Up w/ the setup you see in my avatar.

I categorize rack rigs into the Control and Signal Routing part, and the Specific FX (In my case these units have remained pretty consistent since the 80's w/ the exception of the Eventide H8000FW). TC 2290, Lexicon PCM Reverb, TC 1210 Chorus expander, Dytronics CS-5 Tri-Stereo Chorus, Yamaha SPX 90II, and a bunch of lower line gear that lead to discovering which units got 'The' sound and which didn't.

With the Amp Selector I can change amps as necessary and don't have to rewire anything, or reset gain stage levels w/ the FX etc... and with the use of 4 amps, I have the ability to use the fx with whichever amp I select, and the routing of the fx pedals going in front of an amp vs the POST amp Stereo FX gives lots of options and I prefer to have more and not need it than to need more and not have it-- So, it works for me.

Last edited:

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a rig... That is a collection of gear. BIG Difference
Yeah that ain’t leaving the house (museum?)

I’m working my way back to simple as much as possible. Peavey VTM half stack, and I’ll put a HX Effects in front of it. I don’t want to mess with 4CM anymore. I rarely use effects anyhow, and nobody in the audience cares, they just wanna have “nothing but a good time” while they “rock and roll all night and party every day”.

Bluguitar Iridium as backup in case the amp or cabinet takes a dump.

zachman

Reaction score
Yeah that ain’t leaving the house (museum?)

I’m working my way back to simple as much as possible. Peavey VTM half stack, and I’ll put a HX Effects in front of it. I don’t want to mess with 4CM anymore. I rarely use effects anyhow, and nobody in the audience cares, they just wanna have “nothing but a good time” while they “rock and roll all night and party every day”.

Bluguitar Iridium as backup in case the amp or cabinet takes a dump.
My best trick is being able to pretty much, get a workable tone with whatever gear I have available. When having to use a rental backline and having to go with your available 3rd or 4th choice, I use a clean amp and use pedals to get the job done.

When it comes to specific tone targets, then sometimes specific gear is preferred, but rarely 'required' to get something close enough to a workable tone.

That said, there are many decaffeinated brands on the market that claim to be as good as the real thing-- But, They are not.

As I see it-- All gear are merely tools to accomplish a range of sonic possibilities, and just because one has a large setup with a ton of options doesn't mean all of them need to be utilized at every opportunity

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best trick is being able to pretty much, get a workable tone with whatever gear I have available. When having to use a rental backline and having to go with your available 3rd or 4th choice, I use a clean amp and use pedals to get the job done.

When it comes to specific tone targets, then sometimes specific gear is preferred, but rarely 'required' to get something close enough to a workable tone.

That said, there are many decaffeinated brands on the market that claim to be as good as the real thing-- But, They are not.

As I see it-- All gear are merely tools to accomplish a range of sonic possibilities, and just because one has a large setup with a ton of options doesn't mean all of them need to be utilized at every opportunity
Dude, this.. spot on right on the head. Being able you sound like your basic sound and sculpt as needed.

I’ve always been kinda geeky-techy, and enjoy putting different stuff together in different ways, trying new stuff, etc. I was pretty much the first in my area to gig with Helix, first as add-on to my tube amp at the time, then into a power amp/ cabinet, then straight into PA with a wedge in front of me. Made a nice 4CM snake with MIDI and AC, etc. and enjoyed all of that.

I have to rein myself in on gear now, last couple years have been good to me at work so I’ve been able to get more toys, more options than I can really use. Had to hold myself back on starting to get rack gear, recently on local market I’veseen ADA MP1 come up, JMP-1, peavey classic 50/50 tube power amp, argh. Could have snagged the ADA and power amp for $700….. almost did it just to hold and flip later.

If I see a dual monobloc or TriAxis pre I know I’ll crumble though. Always wanted them ……

Oh and on the decaffeinated side, yeah I try to get the stuff that I know will not leave again quickly due to remorse. Get the good stuff, buy once and cry once haha.

zachman

Reaction score
Dude, this.. spot on right on the head. Being able you sound like your basic sound and sculpt as needed.

I’ve always been kinda geeky-techy, and enjoy putting different stuff together in different ways, trying new stuff, etc. I was pretty much the first in my area to gig with Helix, first as add-on to my tube amp at the time, then into a power amp/ cabinet, then straight into PA with a wedge in front of me. Made a nice 4CM snake with MIDI and AC, etc. and enjoyed all of that.

I have to rein myself in on gear now, last couple years have been good to me at work so I’ve been able to get more toys, more options than I can really use. Had to hold myself back on starting to get rack gear, recently on local market I’veseen ADA MP1 come up, JMP-1, peavey classic 50/50 tube power amp, argh. Could have snagged the ADA and power amp for $700….. almost did it just to hold and flip later.

If I see a dual monobloc or TriAxis pre I know I’ll crumble though. Always wanted them ……

Oh and on the decaffeinated side, yeah I try to get the stuff that I know will not leave again quickly due to remorse. Get the good stuff, buy once and cry once haha.
As I got older, my musical tastes expanded and the result was the appreciation for a wider variety of tones and the gear that make them possible, as well as how they were utilized in various genres and mixes.

There's no such thing as too much gear, but there is such thing as limited storage space. AS long as you're happy with your gear and the audience isn't throwing crap at you-- you're doing fine. ;)

Personally, I prefer to have more and not need it, than to need more and not have it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
how do you set up your GE7?
First off the amp is set to edge of breakup. Then set all the sliders on the pedal in the middle and the level slider up one notch gets a good low crunch. Depending on the amp, I'll slide the 100 slider down one notch to get rid of any boominess.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
All good serviceable suggestions! I used a GE-7 into my JCM800 back in the 80s.
Regardless of everything else, the GE-7 is essential. It adds a certain "life," for lack of a better term, to just about any rig.

MickeyS

Reaction score
My later 80s rig consisted of a VTM120 with a stage tuner, Dunlop Crybaby, an Ibanez or Boss GE7 (still have and use both), an Ibanez Chorus/Flanger pedal, and.....that was it. Frown face on the eq into a dirty 800 style amp was metal/thrash in a bottle. I was more a heavy classic rock/metal/thrash guy. I didnt use reverb until around '91. No delay either. I have a digi tech sampler from the late '80s that I messed with but my style didn't require it I guess, it didnt stay on my board. I wasn't really chasing the super wet, overly effected tones. Even when I was playing a ton of Priest and Maiden, I kept it modulation free. I think it was my early guitar teacher who told me pedals were cheating and i should play without them until I was a more developed player. Agree with that or not, I just got a used to not using much because of that. I remember seeing a Ratt show around '84 or '85, on MTV I imagine, and I recall how put off I was by the amount of modulation on the guitars.... My first rack was a Peavey Addverb ll, which I set to a preset and switched on and off, mainly for leads. My buddy had an ART rack, around '89 or '90. It was cool, but quirky and cumbersome to a simple pedal guy like myself, plus I wouldn't have used most of what it could offer anyway. In a nutshell, in my world, a graphic eq, tube screamer type OD, a chorus, flanger, and a delay of some sort into an 800 style amp gets it done.

Latest posts