Must have 80's Hair Metal Pedals

jchrisf

Reaction score
I have a Ceriatone 2204 with the nice buffered loop. This thing takes pedals well. What are must have pedals for playing 80s hair metal? I'm assuming an overdrive, chorus, delay and reverb? Anything else? And which are the best overdrives, choruses, delays and reverbs to get?

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Tube Screamer would be an obvious choice, surely. Or yeah, a Boss OD ^. *

Chorus/ensemble/double tracker, check. And yep, delay plus reverb for extra supersizing. Boss would again be a great first choice. CE2, DD3T, RV.. whatever they’re up to now. 6?

* Or basically any OD/distortion pedal slamming the front end of a tube amp..

Last edited:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
You basically need a boost (Boss SD-1 or GE-7, or any variation of the Tube Screamer) and a chorus (Boss CE-2 is the obvious choice) for the front end, and then some "rack-like" delay (Boss DD-200 or DD-500, Strymon Dig), as they almost all used rackmount gear.
Then depending on who you want to emulate, some kind of rack-type reverb (I like the Neunaber WET for the Lexicon vibe, or a Digitech RV-7 if you can grab one used) and pitch-shift/micropitch (the Eventide Micropitch is the obvious choice, can also do the delay).
These, plus the right guitar/pickup and cab will get you there for sure.

jchrisf

Reaction score
You basically need a boost (Boss SD-1 or GE-7, or any variation of the Tube Screamer) and a chorus (Boss CE-2 is the obvious choice) for the front end, and then some "rack-like" delay (Boss DD-200 or DD-500, Strymon Dig), as they almost all used rackmount gear.
Then depending on who you want to emulate, some kind of rack-type reverb (I like the Neunaber WET for the Lexicon vibe, or a Digitech RV-7 if you can grab one used) and pitch-shift/micropitch (the Eventide Micropitch is the obvious choice, can also do the delay).
These, plus the right guitar/pickup and cab will get you there for sure.
So the chorus went in front of the amp back then? I didn't know that.

Did they have effect loops back then for their rack gear or did they have a different way of getting it in the signal?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have a Ceriatone 2204 with the nice buffered loop. This thing takes pedals well. What are must have pedals for playing 80s hair metal? I'm assuming an overdrive, chorus, delay and reverb? Anything else? And which are the best overdrives, choruses, delays and reverbs to get?
I use a Boss GE7 EQ as a boost out front for low gain tones, and also use a Boss SD-1 OD out front for heavier tones, then stack the two for high gain tones, these are my go-to for this amp. also sometimes use a Proco Rat for different levels of gain. For the loop consider a boost pedal for lead volume boost.

Dblgun

Reaction score
As already mentioned a Tube Screamer, SD or DS1, and an EQ such as the GE7 or GE10. Most everyone I knew had some type of chorus and a flanger! Then there were the delays, compressors and harmonizers, a lot of it in racks. Good times...

jchrisf

Reaction score
I use a Boss GE7 EQ as a boost out front for low gain tones, and also use a Boss SD-1 OD out front for heavier tones, then stack the two for high gain tones, these are my go-to for this amp. also sometimes use a Proco Rat for different levels of gain. For the loop consider a boost pedal for lead volume boost.
how do you set up your GE7?

TheChris

Reaction score
If it's a loop - it wants to see -10 (line-level) rack gear, not -20 floor pedals designed to go in front of a preamp. My Alesis Quadraverb and Digitech DSP 256XL hit all the marks you mention. What are the best? That's subjective. There's a reason there's 10,000 pedals out there.

jeffb

Reaction score
Pedals were mostly scoffed at as the 80s progressed, barring an OD/Distortion pedal.

It was rack gear that came into vogue- ART, Yamaha, Eventide, ADA, etc.

Also the Rockman was on just about everything post 1985.

My dumb ass sold alot of (now famous) pedals back then that would be very valuable today. (and still sound great) I sold them for garbage sounding rack gear, which is still mostly worthless except to the select few who are still clamoring for those tones of the time period. Early digital technology sounded like crap. But had to keep up with hairspray joneses. It was at that time that I really started to just do MY thing, instead of being a follower- both musically and gear wise.

Gurbz

Reaction score
Classic RAT (eighties)
DOD FX-56 American Metal

Latest posts