>

Music Stores In Dallas

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by scoobyjr, Feb 18, 2018.

1. scoobyjr

scoobyjr Member

Hey everybody! I am going to be in the Dallas/Arlington area in a couple weeks. Are there any must-see music stores in that area?

2. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Sadly just a guitar center in Arlington. Several in dallas. But nothing special.

3. scoobyjr

scoobyjr Member

I wish I could get to Austin while I'm there, but its for work, so no chance.

4. Bloodrock

Lots of guys visit SRV or Dimebag’s resting place while they’re here. If you’re a fan.

scoobyjr likes this.
  5. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Like Bloodrock said, nothing too special here in Dallas. There is a Sam Ash on 75 and Royal, Guitar Center down the road a mile or so on 75 and Lovers Lane (nothing there you wouldn't find back home though). Now there is a place called Zoo Music (actually, 2 of them). This might be worth seeing. The one that's been there for a while now has quite a random selection of guitars and amps (11224 Garland Rd, Dallas). The issue with this place is its more like a friggin' museum vs. a sales shop. What I mean is, the damn owner decides which guitars he wants to sell (see the reviews, not a ton of happy visitors). I can attest to this first hand. A few years back, they had a white JCM 800 and matching cab for sale. It didn't have a price on it, so I asked the sales guy how much. Said he would have to ask the owner, gave him my number, never heard back. I called 2 more times, never got anywhere. Its kind of bizarre.

Now the other Zoo Music is more of a sales shop if you ask me (actually, not sure its called Zoo Music, used to be). Its about 4 miles down the street from the one above, and they will give you the address of the other store as well. I know a while back this other store closed its doors for a while, but then reopened and I haven't been in yet to see the new store. Prior to the reopening, they were an Orange dealer as well, and had TONS of Orange amps. I bought a JCM 800 from this second store a few years back, Fender Pro Jr. and a Mesa Recto. Remember them having pretty decent prices, and the guys knew their stuff. Again, haven't been in since they reopened, but hoping they still have some good stuff there.

scoobyjr likes this.
  6. Bloodrock

Now that i think about it there is another zoo music in West ft worth too. Been there for years. It’s a bunch of overpriced junk guitars from the 80’s and random other stuff. I think it’s owned by the same guy that owns one of the ones in dallas. An entertaining visit but nothing worth buying

7. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney - high end stuff
    Archie's in Richardson - mom & pop low to mid end
    Tone Shop in Addison - new and used
    The GC in N Dallas is a 'diamond' level store and they have higher end amps and some collectible guitars
    Charlies in W Dallas - haven't been in a few years
    Occasional gem on CL

Lusting for anything in particular?

Russ

scoobyjr likes this.
  8. scoobyjr

scoobyjr Member

Thanks! I just like to check out other stores. Never know what might peak my interest.