Multi fx rack unit recommendations please

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Waldog, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Waldog

Waldog Member

Hi all.

I’m looking for a multi fx to add to my rack setup. The story so far :

I have a G-Major 2 and absolutely love it. Great sounds, easy to program, not too complicated. The problem is that it has an issue where it keeps freezing. A quick google search tells me that it was a common fault with these units and replacing a certain ribbon cable may or may not fix it so it’s gone in the cupboard for now.

I just recently purchased a Lexicon MPX500 and after a few hours of messing around I just can’t gel with it. Far too complex and has way too many variable for my needs as I’m not huge on fx anyway. I play in a cover band so most of the sounds I require are pretty typical, nothing too out there.

Soooo.....I’m looking for some recommendations on what I should try next. Requirements are as follows.
    - must be relatively simple to navigate.
    - must have midi capabilities.
    - preferably something with a noise gate as my preamp does get a bit noisey
    - must be reliable
    - nothing too old (anything over 10-15 years old and I start getting paranoid about reliability)
    - if it has an output to switch channels on an amp (latching footswitch kind of deal) that’d be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Trelwheen likes this.
  2. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Line 6 has many rack FX units .
    Boss - GX700 , GT-Pro .
    Avid - 11 Rack
    Digitech - DSP1101
    T.C. Electronics - G - Force

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Blown Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

Get an Eventide Eclipse. Lots of processing power and fabulous sound quality. All kinds of ins and outs. Easy to use. You can find them used for a grand.

:headbanger:

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Older Boss and Eventide or current Eventide if you can afford it.
    Lexicon and Yamaha are good too as well as others.

Trelwheen likes this.
  5. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

That's easy-- Eventide H9000! You didn't specify budget, so I figure it wasn't an issue. ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    mickeydg5, Trelwheen and belleswell like this.
  6. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

Get your G Major 2 fixed. You are already familiar with it, like it, and it has all that you are looking for. I have had the G Major 1 and the 2 (still have the 2); and must have been lucky with the "1" because I never had ANY issues with it. The "2" on the other hand, did have the freeze up problem, and I couldn't rely on it for gigs, like the "1." That is, until I fixed it. I had some recovery time after a surgery, so I tore it apart, and I got rid of the ribbon cable and its connectors. The issue is the wire to connector assembly (not the connectors on the pc boards-the ribbon cable connectors themselves). I soldered each individual pin and wire, thus "hardwiring" it. Crazy tedious, free, and one hundred percent functional now.

7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

yea lets replace a $350 G-Major II with a $7000 H9000 LOL

I'm pretty sure if this was his budget he'd prob not be asking here on these boards about pro-sumer stuff....

8. zachman

Edited: I'm ALL FOR upgrades. ;)

You'd be surprised, at how many guys I've helped to navigate the in's and out's of utilizing the gear they own, to solve a problem, or to design a purposeful architecture to accomplish what they were targeting, or just to nail a setting for a piece of gear to hit a target.

Just because someone owns gear doesn't mean they are an expert at using it, in the same way that having great gear doesn't mean one can play worth a damned either... or just because someone is proficient on their instrument doesn't mean they know how to dial in gear to get a great result... Because Great gear doesn't guarantee great results. It only offers a potential range of results for a wide range of various results. Believe that.
    :cheers:

My biggest gear frustrations came into focus when I realized exactly which specific pieces of gear got the sounds I liked, and that the pieces of gear I could afford didn't get it done, despite the hype.

The compromise in sound irritated me and motivated me, and shaped my perspective on rig design. I discovered that I ended up spending as much or more in a few cases buying the cheaper 'alternatives', selling, buying, etc., rinse and repeat-- than it actually costed to get the real deal that the others were unsuccessfully attempting to emulate. It took a long time, and was an expensive lesson to learn.

Nowadays, the technology is SO good that players are living in the Gold Age of Gear Selection, Options, Features and combination choices. The main factors are Budget, and Learning Curve; The main setback is not realizing that, and embracing it.

I know guys that can afford, and own Ferrari's and aren't great drivers, and guys who spend more on their golf club memberships and clubs than the cost of a Ferrari-- and they aren't anywhere near Pro-level golfers-- Same with guitar gear...

You never know.

My point is, If you want the best, 9 out of 10 times-- you're going to pay for it, or you'll be frustrated at why a $50 analog delay doesn't sound 'as good as' or have all the features of a TC 2290 or Eventide, and complaining about needing an alternative in the same $50 price range-- with all of the features and results of the 2290, isn't all that likely.

Well, often there are a bunch of options BUT when we are VERY specific about what we expect-- sometimes there are no Good AND Cheap alternatives-- rather only compromises, waiting to be encountered to achieve the level of frustration that is worthy of a good Blues tune

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM
  9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

A Fractal Axe-FX II (or any Axe-FX model) is an incredible effects unit in and of itself, with all amp models turned off. Plus its amp models add a level of tonal versatility that you might find you get a lot of use out of once you try it.

tce63, belleswell and zachman like this.
  10. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP:
    TC Electronic Nova System is pretty good and covers most the needs you described:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...a-system-analog-multi-effects-floor-processor

TC Electronic G-System is pretty amazing (I believe it even lets you switch channels on most channel switching amplifiers). Also, the main processing unit can be separated from the foot controller so that the main processing unit can be mounted into a rack.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tronic-g-system-multi-effects-floor-processor

Nova System has some very good quality effects, plenty of parameters to customize the sound but not so much that you get "lost" in tweaking. Not bad for the player who wants good quality floor effects/multi-effects at a reasonable price.

I've tried the G-System for a few weeks and loved it. If you're looking for excellent quality effects, lots of options to incorporate other devices, excellent customization options, the G-System might be worth considering. Price isn't too high considering your other choices for high quality effects systems.

The links I provided are more for informational purposes than an endorsement for a Sweetwater.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

belleswell and zachman like this.
  11. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

he even said the Lexicon was far too complex. He's just playing in covers band and needs basic stuff....
    this is why I never recommend the Axe-FX either (which coincidentally I do use in a covers band)
    its' not really about pro sound, it's more about the ability/want to put in the work to program it I think.

you got anything in your store that matches that criteria?

12. zachman

The command of the learning curve is directly proportional to how satisfied one is with the result of whatever gear one chooses, so I don't know. When one is limited by budget, it limits their selection most often to having to accept compromises-- so it's hard to say.

Everybody wants something with virtually unlimited features, with a small learning curve, and have it be inexpensive and built to last, yet sound like Top-Shelf Select gear, be as small as a cell phone and be just as light... I call them 'Dreamers'

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    belleswell likes this.
  13. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I'm definitely one of them "Dreamers"

:dude:

belleswell and zachman like this.
  14. belleswell

belleswell Well-Known Member

The Axe Fx was already mentioned and that would be my pick.
    Axe Fx II XL+ from Fractal
    [​IMG]

Much cheaper than this option. (pre-Axe Fx pic)

[​IMG]

zachman and jmp45 like this.
  15. zachman

Me Too. Until then, I will have to make do with a bigger rig, and be happy that I embraced the learning curve a long time ago
    :cheers:

16. zachman

Yup... The learning curve is real there too, unfortunately for the OP. It's Everywhere you look isn't it? ;)

belleswell likes this.