Mullard 12ax7 Ri

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the standard Mullard 12ax7 RI in a Marshall? What are your opinions?

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know, but I have purchased 4 of them, still not in my possession, so can’t say how they will sound, Marshall Dog here on the forum likes them, and there are more positive views than not !! :cheers:
Thank you. This helps a lot. I was worried, since some websites state that the tubes are better suited for HiFi than for guitar amps. I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
As will I! Cheers brother
I'll definitely make sure to report back. Since this is my first time retubing my DSL15C, I was wondering, how big of a difference does one 12ax7 versus another really make? Is this something that's worth sweating over, or are the differences subtle? Side note: I'm replacing the power amp tubes with the same type as the factory-installed tubes.

LyseFar

Reaction score
I'll definitely make sure to report back. Since this is my first time retubing my DSL15C, I was wondering, how big of a difference does one 12ax7 versus another really make? Is this something that's worth sweating over, or are the differences subtle? Side note: I'm replacing the power amp tubes with the same type as the factory-installed tubes.

There is a big difference in the v1 preamp position regarding which tube you choose. Remember to re-bias when changing powertubes.

cudamax2343

Reaction score
tubegrading_mu-12ax7.png
MU-12AX7-2.jpg

cudamax2343

Reaction score
I use these They give ya the most gain and a little more bottom end but I have a buttload of pre-amp tubes Ive collected over the yrs and use different ones for different amps
tubegrading_so-12ax7wb.png

Sovtek 12AX7WB Preamp Vacuum Tube

EndGame00

Reaction score
Mullard ri 12ax7 has less gain than the cv4004 ri....I bought 3 mullard ri and they all failed in less than 40 hours of playing...i cant give a positive opinion based on my experience with them...

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Some of the best tubes for Marshalls. IMO a bit noisy at higher volumes try them.....

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of ruby’s in one of my 40c’s and a sovteck,v1 ruby v2 sovteck v3 Ruby, stock Marshall in v4, and ruby power tubes !:2c:

johnfv

Reaction score
I like them a lot, nice mids - one of my favorite current production tubes. I have not noticed any noise issues and have them in multiple amps. Look around at some older threads here and you may see some discussion about how they don't really have all that much in common with the vintage Mullards but bottom line, they sound pretty darn good IMO.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Based on my research and feedback on here, I'm returning the Mullards and instead getting JJ ECC83S's, which is what they shipped with from factory. The DSL15C is a very dark high gain amp. Since I like the way it sounds stock, but don't want to take any chances when it comes to potentially making it even darker or lower gain (the Mullards have a definitive top end rolloff and slightly less gain than the JJ's or the Tung Sol's), I am going to stick with the JJ's for now. Plus, they were significantly cheaper ($10 vs. $24) and are known for being very tough tubes, which is just what I need in a combo. However, I'd love to hear what everyone else, especially Herbert, has to say about the Mullards. They sound like a very nice tube on paper and I've always been intrigued by them. I'd also love to try a Svetlana one day.

Latest posts