Moving ...

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Im moving into another place. Until now i had most of my music gear in the living room.
Question now is: Shall i put the music gear in the living room again or have a music room with all the music gear?

Big advantage of having the stuff in the living room is: i just grab a instrument and play more often
Disadvantage if the living room: Each time Mr. Son is watching TV i can't play, or when i play, he can't watch TV. The music room is likely to be more cramped then having the gear in the huge living room.

Thoughts?

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Separate music room. IMO having your gear in the living room seems like something my younger self would do when I bought/rented my first place and have no furniture, etc. (I mean no offense btw). But as we get older, again, IMO, the living room should be the living room and the music room should be the music room. Plus you won’t have any restrictions on when you can and cannot play.

PelliX

Reaction score
Separate music room. IMO having your gear in the living room seems like something my younger self would do when I bought/rented my first place and have no furniture, etc. (I mean no offense btw). But as we get older, again, IMO, the living room should be the living room and the music room should be the music room. Plus you won’t have any restrictions on when you can and cannot play.

Best of both worlds; I get the "but sometimes I just pick up a guitar in the living room" argument. I keep an acoustic in the living room, and from time to time grab a little combo and lug it from the studio to the living room. If you're depending on 20 pedals, a rack of 19" gear, etc, then it becomes a problem, but if you can get by with a just an amp, make sure you have something easily portable. Leave it in the lounge from time to time.

How about getting your son his own TV for his room?

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I have a main Livingroom with no music equipment at all in it (besides hi-fi for TV and music listening) and then my mancave where I have another living room setup TV/hi-fi/XBOX/PC etc and my music gear. I vote for a separate music room if you have the option. :cool:

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
How about getting your son his own TV for his room?
No way. TV and computer times are strictly regulated. He wouldn't get out of his room all day if he had his own TV. His computer automagically kicks him out after 2h a day. 😎

I think i will keep the music stuff in the living room and turn the other room into a office. Much more space when friends come for a visit and jam along. And the organ and the drums would eat up way too much space in the music room as well, leaving too few space to actually play music with friends.

Latest posts