More US Soldiers Committed Suicide Than Died in Combat 2010

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by scat7s, Nov 2, 2011.

1. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

sad and disturbing. maybe human beings arent designed to be supersoldiers. no diss to our fellow vets, obviously, youve been asked to do a hard job.

More US Soldiers Committed Suicide Than Died in CombatTop 25 of 2012
    5diggsdigg

1895Share

For the second year (2010) in a row, more US soldiers killed themselves (468) than died in combat (462). “If you… know the one thing that causes people to commit suicide, please let us know,” General Peter Chiarelli told the Army Times, “because we don’t know.” Suicide is a tragic but predictable human reaction to being asked to kill – and watch your friends be killed – for a war based on lies. Perhaps being forced to bag the mangled flesh of fellow soldiers could be another reason why some are committing suicide.
    Body Bagging… ever heard the term? Soldiers in the Marine Corps’ Mortuary Affairs unit at Camp Al Taqaddum, Iraq, are given this job… of collecting and cataloging the bodies of dead marines. They sift through the remains of the soldiers, from prom photos to suicide notes and love letters — and put their remains and effects into bags, metal boxes and refrigerators. (clarify please – are you talking about their physical remains/bodies and their effects – ie. photos, etc. or both?) One soldier, Jess Goodell, recounts a marine brought into the unit still breathing. She frantically called to her superiors, to which they simply replied, “wait.” She watched while he died. When she returned to the US, Goodell like many others, was diagnosed with deep depression, substance abuse, PTSD and anxiety.
    Sources:
    “Death and After in Iraq”, Chris Hedges, Truthdig, March 21, 2011. http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_body_baggers_of_iraq_20110321

“More US Soldiers Killed Themselves Than Died in Combat in 2010,” Cord Jefferson, Good, January 27, 2011.
 http://www.good.is/post/more-us-soldiers-killed-themselves-than-died-in-combat-in-2010

“Can You Face the True Consequences of War? The Horror of Bagging Soldiers’ Bodies in Iraq,” Chris Hedges, Alternet, March 21, 2011.
 http://www.alternet.org/world/150322/can_you_face_the_true_consequences_of_war_the_horrors_of_bagging_soldiers%27_bodies_in_iraq/?page=1

“Ten Reasons the Iraq War Was No Cakewalk,” Medea Benjamin and Charles Davis, Alternet, March 18, 2011 http://www.alternet.org/world/150297/ten_reasons_the_iraq_war_was_no_cakewalk

2. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Shit... thats horrible man.

3. Feeling Supersonic

Feeling Supersonic Well-Known Member

I don't consider the forces a 'job'. It's something else..

4. scat7s

yeah poor choice of words maybe. just wanted to express some appreciation for the difficult situation they are placed in.

5. Username2

Username2 New Member

Deployment is a hardship and battle tests a mans soul, some are stronger then others. I have some very stong opinions on this but will just keep it to myself. I will say that all of our men an women returning from a tour deserve our support and gratitude. The military could do a better job supporting the familys while they are away.

6. Feeling Supersonic

No, I believe the media use the term job to apply to the services, but in my opinion it can't possibly be a job.

In a job, you don't get shot at.

7. Bieling3

Bieling3 Well-Known Member

How many years running... seems like I've been seeing this same story since '04. Sad.

longfxukxnhair and Blisster like this.
  8. Blackie

Blackie Well-Known Member

.. 18 Veterans a day kill themselves .. that is from the whole of all US Veterans.

.. No matter the era or time or circumstance of service.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2019
  9. Username2

Username2 New Member

Self correction....We all could look in a mirror and do a better job supporting our vets and their family's.

10. Feeling Supersonic

I personally believe your government should do that.

Donations are great, but it's an inherent contribution that's rightfully needed.

11. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Well-Known Member

"In a job, you don't get shot at."

Unless you're in law enforcement.

Cheers, Barrie.

12. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Military service is glamourized in our country by the govt to get people to join. Sadly, it's mostly low income, uneducated people that join, (for the most part), and a lot are completely unable to deal with the reality of what it really is. They pay you just enough so that you can't leave and still pay your bills on civilian pay.... All tools of our plutocratic government. Lot's of good people dying for no reason IMO. My best friend joined in 98 and had been there ever since. He's no where close to the same person he used to be after what he's been through. And for what?? $20k a year and a free place to live?? :(

13. Blackie

... Well .. maybe we should go to a draft .. so you can have some fucking fun too .. huh ..

Get in line .. and STFU .. yeah ..

.OH .. oh sorry .. I am not really sure what your point is ..

.. um .. No military ? .. no one should sign up ? ... What ?

.. Then there would be no problem .. ? ...

.. GOD DAMMIT I am pissed off now .. .. not you Blood .. after a certain amount of alcohol .. I sometimes change personalities .. in a bad way ..

14. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I for one am proud to have served over 21 years with some of the most educated, intelligent, non impoverished patriots from the US Forces and it's Allies in and out of combat zones in support of what ever the Governments of the Free world decided was necessary as a volunteer Force. As for suicides vs deaths, I think there is a bit of a spin there. All deaths are a tragedy but with modern body armor, tactics and equipment, more soldiers now survive trauma that would have certainly killed in past conflicts but we see more amputations. In addition, the majority of the Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines I have met have a degree or are currently registered in a degree program.

The numbers for suicide appear to be high. Even a single suicide is one too many. However the number provided above for combatants KIA over the course of a 365 day period is very low for a country at war which suggest most of these people know exactly what they are doing. True professional military members. I salute one and all.

I hope this in no way is taken offensive by anyone.

NewReligion

15. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

I've heard that for most of my life. I actually think that the reason we haven't heard it for a few years is that we've been in so much combat recently. In a way it's 'good' that less people have been killed in combat. I would like to know what the suicide rate is compared to the rest of the population. That is what really matters. When we're fighting a war, there will be many more casualties than in peace time. You would think the number of suicides would increase per capita too, but I have no idea. A better comparison would be number of suicides to number of people and whether it increases during wartime or not.

NewReligion likes this.
  16. Blackie

.. The numbers are higher for Veterans than the general population no matter if we are at war or not.

.. Maybe I can find a stat link .. but it is true ..

17. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see stats because I really don't know.

18. scat7s

there is def some spin. ive read articles regarding how they "qualify" KIA's. and theyve done a lot to make those numbers look like they have shrunk ( it was bush who changed some parameters). though im sure your right that better armor and such is a factor as well.

the numbers of those who have been killed BECAUSE of combat, are much higher than the 4XX they report here.

19. Blackie

Suicide Epidemic Among Veterans - CBS News

It found that veterans were more than twice as likely to commit suicide in 2005 than non-vets. (Veterans committed suicide at the rate of between 18.7 to 20.8 per 100,000, compared to other Americans, who did so at the rate of 8.9 per 100,000.)

20. scat7s

well, i guess that would make some sense.