Modular guitars

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Not a new concept, but a new company doing it.

Flag

Reaction score
I've thought of doing this but just too lazy to. it's a lot of work and pretty good idea TBH.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
One+Swap+240.gif

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well heck, one of those and a Synergy amp & all their pug in gizmos for both - covers all the bases.
I'm sure it's all fool-proof connections that won't have any problems down the road or is a sinch to fix if something happens.
What more do you need?

Geeze

Reaction score
Gibson did something similar in the '90's [I believe] to sell their pickups. I looked at one of the Les Pauls on a trip to Nashville. Unfinished wood, routed for binding but no binding [?!?] probably an ugly that was salvaged for this task. Too bad the top was delaminating and the owner wanted way to much for a 'rare' Gibson.

Russ

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Somebody did this with amps awhile back cant remember who, but I thought it was a good idea, it obviously never caught on cuz I haven't seen anything ever hit the market.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
LEGO is for children.

Btw, how do you mount the sustain module?

PelliX

Reaction score
I suppose this is sort of handy if you can only bring one guitar somewhere, but you really need a certain pickup for a certain thing. Or if you need a backup guitar for all your other guitars. Perhaps if you're in some funky tuning and you think "wow, what would that sound like with a humbucker?", etc. Still, do I really need a guitar that says Red Dick on it?

Btw, how do you mount the sustain module?

One could actually take advantage of the construction and isolate the pickups a little, I guess....

V-man

Reaction score
dont see any use for bs like this.
rather have a whole different guitar rather than a different module.
We all know this novelty is far from being novel. If it was truly desired it had 40+ years to have caught on, but it didn’t. The P90 guitar you have IS YOUR P90 GUITAR. That other one over there is your X or Y guitar. Nobody is going to swap blocks at a gig compared to the speed and reliability of slinging a different (pre-setup) guitar.

Most important is the elephant in the room: all this modularity, yet you are stuck with a shitty strat hardtail bridge? Where is the “real“ ingenuity of swapping out vintage trems, tele hardtails and TOMs, much less, the floyd. Oh, because it’s far too convoluted to be practical? And that is the extreme example that speaks to the whole design, regardless of how pain-free a block-swap for new pups is.

RCM 800

Reaction score
Its really not just about the pickups for me. If I pickup a LP I play differently than my strat and same with teles or even super strats. I dont know how much of it is psychological but I grab my tele and my whole style of playing and the music I play changes even with a similar signal chain.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Johnson demoed this Gyrock almost two years ago, with revolving pickups (like the license plates on James Bonds car). I personally don't have a need for such products, but how could a performing guitarist rely on electrical connections in there?

mark123

Reaction score
Its really not just about the pickups for me. If I pickup a LP I play differently than my strat and same with teles or even super strats. I dont know how much of it is psychological but I grab my tele and my whole style of playing and the music I play changes even with a similar signal chain.
Yeah, it’s more than a pickup swap. I’d be really impressed if the guitar had a crank on it that would allow you to change the scale length. 😁

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It's not pickup swaps and such but for versatility the Godin LG is hard to beat.
Sounds like my LP with added single coil positions, built in LR baggs piezo in bridge for acoustic with a 3 way EQ, and built in synth pickup.
I don't need modular guitars, can cover a lot of ground with these.
Even a model with a stay in tune whammy bar.

I really like my pair.