Mixing power tubes JCM900 SLX

booradley

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently did a 2 hour show with my 100 watt SLX. No issues. A week later I put the amp on its side setting up for band practice and when powered it up…poof. Turns out the V8 EHX EL34LS died. I replaced it with a JJ EL34L and amp seems fine. Where to go from here? Is there any issues with mixing power tubes like this? I haven’t rebiased yet. Not sure I can get a full set of new ones. I retubed and biased the power tubes in 2015 I think. This is the 2100 model.

junk notes

Reaction score
Yes, the replacement tube will have a different current draw, just rebias as you mentioned. Happy to hear it is up and ruining. :)

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Actually a good question in these times of tube shortages. On an amp with 4 mixed power tubes, would the goal be to get each side as close to each other as possible?

Rokinroller

Reaction score
I've done it . With 2 different pairs of EL34's . One pair GT EL34M and one pair Mesa STR440 as a quad in a TSL100 . No problems at all . Amp sounded great . Both sides biased up evenly 70ma no problem . As long as you dont see any red-plating or get hum , all should be good .

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Electrons react the same whatever the branding / origin of the circuit devices :)

Provided they’re idling at roughly similar currents, any functional EL34 can be used. That’s kinda the point of them being labelled ‘EL34’.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
On an amp with 4 mixed power tubes, would the goal be to get each side as close to each other as possible?
Pretty much, but I suggest not to obsess about it.
Even if they idle the same, no 4 valves are likely to behave identically over the full range, and peak current may be 10x idle.

rockgod212

Reaction score
did you change the output transformer for el34's. thought the 900's used 5881's?

Latest posts