>

Mini Pedal Pedalboard

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by PaulHikeS2, Mar 12, 2021.

1. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've decided to start putting together a small board with only mini pedals. I want something super portable. So far, I have an Ibanez Tube Screamer mini, a Koogo Flanger - was a gift and does flanger things nicely, and a Deadbeat Looper. Any suggestions on mini pedals that you've had good luck with and are good sounding/good quality? I'm thinking chorus and reverb at least, and maybe fuzz and delay.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

First and foremost, the cheap Amazon mini clone wonders are probably best avoided. (IMO). Be prepared to return them because many of the "reviews" don't match with reality. Again, (IMO). The MXR Booster is the only mini pedal I currently use and seems well built. The sweep on the volume knob has a very fast rise so just a small change is a big
    increase in dB. The tone knob is very usable (IMO) and is much less drastic with changes. With the right blend, it has a slightly warm boost, but it's not an overdrive pedal. It works better for single coil or low output pickups. YMMV.

There is also a trim pot on the inside (mounted to the PCB) that adjusts the Echoplex-type circuit. Small adjustments are highly recommended as it can go from mild pre-amp clipping to a very nasty overload past about 25%.

At first I used it as an always on pedal right after a compressor, but moved it in front of a MXR Script Phaser to push the effect.

There are other Echoplex-type pre-amp pedals on the market that might be slightly better. They say some are an approximation and others are the actual circuit. Whatever you do, use your ears for your set-up !

[​IMG]

SkyMonkey and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  3. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  4. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

All the MXR mini stuff is great and the TC electronic mini pedals are super versatile too. If you like the RAT mosky makes an awesome version Black Rat pedal, if you wanna splurge the wampler is probably awesome, I have the mosky.

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  5. PaulHikeS2

Thanks for the Fuzz Face mini suggestion, @Marshall50w . Wasn't aware of those.

6. PaulHikeS2

Thank you - I don't own a boost pedal at all, and I hear good things about MXR in general. I'll definately try one out.

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

I use my TC Mini Spark boost a lot. Good pedal

I have a mini Donner Jet flanger so I can do Spirit of Radio in my band. It's totally adquate.

I have a Tomsline Plexi-something, not that great and it's in a drawer.

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  8. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Wampler Tumnes
    Polytune mini

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  9. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a few mini's...
    Polytune 3 mini
    MXR phase 90
    TCE Flashback II mini
    TCE Hall of Fame 2 mini
    Zuul mini noise gate
    Ditto mini
    Wampler db Boost mini
    (Above are on my board. Some mini's not on my board are in a cabinet. Like several Xotic's, MXR Compressor, not sure what else.)

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  10. freefrog

freefrog Member

Among mini pedals giving the effects that you want, I've got good or decent results with...

-a Valeton CH10, "Loft" series chorus. More than decent CE2 copy with buffer. If you want a true bypass pedal, the Mooer Ensemble King will do the same job of CE2 clone, with a slightly warmer and more insistant effect;

- an Ibanez AD9 mini delay . Among mini analog delays, I'd recommend it over a Mooer Ana Echo (that I disliked even after having tweaked its trim pots : too much clock noise unles the delay time was reduced to an unuseable shortness. YMMV since some iterations seem less noisy than others);

-TC mini HOF reverb : it can sounds pretty convincing once tweaked to death with the dedicated software... but it's noisy if daisy chained. Needs a separate power supply or a good iso transformer.

I'd also recommend the TC Polytune Mini or a wah like the Hotone Soul Press (although I've modified mine).

i'd certainly buy without hesitations any mini MXR pedal.

i've a mitigated experience with Mooer mini FX's: good results with modulation FX's (including the Elec Lady flanger that I appreciate), less with other pedals - not only the Ana Echo: I've modified each of the Mooer mini drive pedals that I've tried... Oh the joice to change mini SMD caps! LOL.
    At least they seem sturdy even when mistreated by big feet. :)

FWIW. Good luck in your quest!

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  11. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mini pedals are great, here is my little board.

2019-09-17 13-23-12.jpg

PaulHikeS2 and SkyMonkey like this.