Mg250dfx and MG4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by usastrat, Jul 11, 2010.

1. usastrat

usastrat New Member

Here's the situation

I have a mg250dfx that has stereo outputs rated at 2 x 50w rms into 8ohms each. the speakers in the combo are each plugged into the chassis independantly so a simple conclusion is that the speakers in the combo are 8 ohms each.

I bought a mg4 x 12 cab rated at 8 ohms (not sure of the speakers inside as i didnt open the back yet) which I would like to hook up as a compliment to the origanal combo which would be a total of 6 speakers.

So far all I could come up with is one speaker in the combo and then the 4 x 10 hooked into the other output. I guess what Im trying to say is there going to be a unbalanced load on the amp that would damage the amp or can I split the speakers into a 3 in one side and 3 in the other.

I read the threads in the forums about ohms but nothing on unbalanced loads probably because theres not much on stereo output cabs. none the less I've added a few pics below to help. also i looked for info about the combo and cant find the maximum output voltage for each output leg. not sure I need it but I looked.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. usastrat

usastrat New Member

3. manktelow

manktelow New Member

The only thing that I can come up with is one speaker from the combo and the 8 Ohm 4x12 cab in the other speaker output. The load won't be unbalanced because they are both 8 Ohm. The more efficient speaker(s) may be louder though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. usastrat

usastrat New Member

ok I opened the back of the cab up and theres 4-g12-30's rated at 8ohms each in there. my head says its a 8ohm(min) x 2 outlets (stereo) if I split the speakers up and run 2 of them in series I produce a 16ohm speaker. can I run 16 ohms on a 8 ohm min output at the cost of overall loudness without problems

[​IMG]

5. manktelow

manktelow New Member

If you connect a 16 Ohm speaker and a 8 Ohm speaker together that will be 5.3 Ohms. The MG250 is a solid state amp so that should not be a problem. The amp has 2 speaker outputs, but I don't think that it's stereo. I have a MG4x12 hooked up to a 2x12 combo also. Like you said, 6 speakers.

6. usastrat

usastrat New Member

ok thx for the help

7. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

damn.... where are the magnets???? :wtf:

8. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Big D thats exactly why I replaced the 4 in mine with G12M's. The stock speakers are aweful when you really push them.

9. Dominick Pascarella

Dominick Pascarella New Member

I have the same combo amp and want to hook up a 4x12 cab and have all6 speakers but you need to unplug one of the speakers in the combo to hook up the cabinet and you lose one of the combo speakers.
    Is there some way to hook the 2x12 combo to the 4x12 cabinet and have all 6 speakers on ?

10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Many people have already commented on your original threads asking this exact question.
    Why not interact on the threads you have started instead of resurrecting 10 year old threads!

Gunner64 likes this.
  11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I guess he didn't like the answers, of which he had a couple workable solutions and is looking for someone to send him some magic fairy dust...or offer to show up and show him.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

giphy-1.gif done.

SkyMonkey likes this.