MG15fx practice amp with problems

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by BeginnerGuitarist, Aug 17, 2020.

1. BeginnerGuitarist

BeginnerGuitarist New Member

Just purchased a used, solid state MG15fx amp that produces very little sound ... not much louder than talking at full volume. And the sound quality is very poor, cloudy-like, much like a radio station that is a little off channel. Played my MP3 player through the MP3 jack and it sounds the same - poor. Likewise, the sound out of the headphone jack is just as poor.

What is so strange is that the quality of the sound is good for the first 4 to 5 seconds, then things go downhill fast. Turn off the amp and turn it back on right away and I can repeat the process from good to bad. Not sure where to begin? Power source/transformer? Capacitors? It terms of appearance, the thing looks brand new.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  2. Shawn Kawvey

Shawn Kawvey Active Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Didn’t you tryout the used amp before purchasing?

South Park likes this.
  4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Not much you can do . If You don’t have the back ground in this Stuff it can be real difficult to repair . Greetings from cal

5. BeginnerGuitarist

I have to agree with you, after taking the back cover off and removing and inspecting the circuit board. It has a million lines and electronic parts, any which one could be the cause. It would take me a lifetime to test everyone, and still not work. Too bad. It's a cute little amp that looks brand new and cost me no more than 3 bottle of pop. I just might use it as a parts amp. Cheers.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Keep the amp you never when some might use it for something solid state amps can be just as hard as tubes to repair . If you don’t have the back ground and the test stuff you are just wasting time on it . Smart move

7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Maybe chuck the chassis and keep the cab as an 8" extension cab.

8. BeginnerGuitarist

Good idea. It might give me somewhat of a "stereo" sound. I might as well keep it, for what it's worth on the market.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

At least take a look over the circuits with a magnifying glass and see if you can spot any broken or burnt parts. That is what this forum is about... helping another to fix their amps. Being told to toss it because it's a cheap ss unit is not very productive. Maybe this section should just put a pin it post saying "take it to a tech"...

Use this one as a training tool to learn how to repair amps. That way when you do get a better amp you dont have to worry about just "throw it away". See what you can find by looking it over. It maybe something as simple as a burnt component or loose connection.

SkyMonkey and Sustainium like this.