MG series internal connectors

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by robert hardcastle, Jan 22, 2021.

1. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

Hi,

I'm trying to source the 15-way connectors used in the MG-series power amp to main board cable loom.

If you are wondering, as a hobby I'm looking at correcting a "repair" someone else did which for some reason resulting in them cutting and resoldering half the wires in this loom. Why not leave it as it is? :D i'm a perfectionist.

Thanks
    Bob

Old Punker likes this.
  2. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

Oh, and if anyone knows the what the connectors for the speaker cable between the main and back boards are?
    The "repairist" seemed to be offended by these cables too and took a pair of snips to them (shoot me please).

Old Punker likes this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

depends on what the molex connection is for.

Some of those, in certain amp's (not sure about the MG), are under-rated for the current that goes through them & melt, taking a whole lot of other stuff out w/ them.

So, a tech, may opt to eliminate the molex connector & hardwire the wires to the board.

Old Punker likes this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

also, if you had failure (which is probably why you had the amp repaired in the 1st place), there's the possibility, that, if the molex melted, that some of the solder traces on the board melted along w/ it, requiring a little messier solder connection.

Typically, MG amp's are disposable.

Here, you can buy a used one for what it costs for a competent tech to put it on the bench & open it up.

Old Punker likes this.
  5. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

Thanks Dogs of Doom.
    Maybe a bit more explanation of the situation is needed to clarify what I am trying to achieve. It was the power amp board that had failed, I have replaced this and the interconnect cable loom (both "borrowed" from another amp im working on) and all is well with the amp.

The amp was purchased as broken as the owner had a go at fixing it and in the process cut the cables and resoldered them. Nothing was wrong with either the connectors or the cables. It also looks like the broke the track to one of the speaker terminals on the mainboard when trying to pull a stiff connector cable.

What I'm trying to do is repair the cables the previous owner butchered.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

7. Dogs of Doom

ah - ok, that makes sense...

You might call Marshall & see if they have any wiring harnesses pre fab'd...

Old Punker likes this.
  8. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

It's dangerous when someone who's never even owned a soldering iron before decides to 'fix' or mod his amp. :ohno: :run: :wow: :nono:

In fact, that is one of the main reasons I bought a new Marshall tube amp instead of one from the 80's. :agreed:

9. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

I went back and asked the previous owner if it was a shop that had left the amp in this state. He replied "im an engineer, so i thought i would have a go but i couldnt find the parts". Thank god he didn't pay a shop to leave it that way, but seriously he couldn't have used the internet as the TDA is notorious a common fault.

10. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I know around here you can find mg100hdfx amps at pawn shops fairly regularly for $100-150 bucks. I bought one a year or so ago for $100 with the footswitch. Imo, Before I would go spending money trying to make that one right I would just buy another. Keep in mind the used market is full of these amps, so they do go cheap.

Imo If the amps working now I would just leave it be. Hardwired is better than the molex connectors anyway..if anything I'd hardwire them all before I'd worry about replacing the connectors..just my opinion. :)

11. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

OK, so to go back to the original point i made. I do this as a hobby, buy broken, fix, sell on. I'm not in it for the big bucks, more as a way to see amps that are repairable go to a new good home provided it can be done without making a loss in the process. I'm not interested in debating if the MG series is dogmeat, that valves are far superior, or that i can pick another for a few hundred bucks.

I dont know why it would be good advice to give saying go spent 100-150 bucks on a different amp than spending maybe upto 5 bucks on a connector?

BTW im pretty sure it is not a MOLEX but some other manufacturer possibly HiRose, unless you where just using the Moex as a generic term for connectors.

12. Gunner64

Yes generic term for connectors. Another guy used the same term, and called the mgs disposable and you didn't call him out on it. Why you nit picking me dude?

Geez. Sorry to offend you. My point for buying another amp wasn't ment to offend, I just ment they are cheap to replace, and don't spend a lot repairing one that's hacked up, you have one that you pretty much said was hacked by someone, with cut wires and damaged traces on the pcb. Repair it if you want. It's all good. No need to get snarky.

No one said anything about debating whether the mg is anything. I like mine, and I feel they're a bargain really. I'm not a tube snob, although I have by far more tube than s.s. amps, the s.s. amps I have I have kept for a reason. The mg100hdfx is one of them.

I have at least one of these amps under my bench thats toasted, and a couple of avts that probably have the same connectors. I won't say "molex" again because I don't want to offend you again. I've been known to give stuff like this away here for the cost of postage.

13. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

The response wasnt directed specifically at you gunner regarding the comments about the MG's being disposable.

The topic of the OP was a request for any information on what the part was, or where it could be sourced. Since that doesnt appear to be able to be answered i'm dropping the thread.

14. Gunner64

It's all good. Try a company called Amp-latch, they have a bunch of ribbon cables, seperate multi connectors ect. Idk if they would have that exact connector or not, but I doubt the mg amps are the only device that uses the connector you seek.

If that doesn't pan out see if you contact the Marshall USA guy, Kevin Drury I think his name is. That is if you're in the states.

15. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

I tried contacting Marshall direct, got to say highly impressed with how responsive they are (replied to the email within a couple of hours). Unfortunately they couldnt help as the part is obseleted by them.
    Further searches resulted in find the connector is manufactured by JST and is their HX series of connectors. Crimps were ordered so problem solved.

16. robert hardcastle

robert hardcastle Member

17. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Active Member