Mexico Charvels

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by bad565ss, Jan 26, 2020.

1. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

That was awful.

2. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    For $700 bucks you want this Bro, trust me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  3. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

LOVE my MIM Charvel SoCal Style 1. I was unsure when I ordered it as I typically like thicker necks, but the damn thing nearly plays itself. Probably my best-playing and one of my best sounding guitars. Extremely versatile, and great quality, especially for the money.

4. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

I'm really digging the san dimas blue chlorine I just got. The setup was great out of the box. Being an ibanez prestige fan boy and really liking the wizard necks I found the charvel to be very easy playing. In fact, for certain things the charvel was easier to play compared to the ibanez's. I'm very pleased with the quality all around. I read somewhere that one of the custom shop luthiers said the difference between one of those models and MIM super strat was about 40 miles. The Charvel MIM factory outputs some very very good stuff.

5. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I've been itching for a new guitar and have a couple I'm keeping an eye on...this one speaks to me for some reason but I'm a little concerned about the Korean manufacturing aspect (yes, SOME of the new Charvel line has moved to Korea due to supply/demand). Guys on the charvel board insist they're still really nice however and even better than the MIM models, even the higher price tag suggests that but I dunno, guess I just need to go play it and see for myself.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMDK24PRA--charvel-pro-mod-dk24-hss-2pt-cm-red-ash

6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Are there DK22 2PT (non FR) that have Ebony fretboards? If Charvel makes one, I would be interested in that. :yesway: (Mainly interested in the neck. Would like to replace an Ibanez AH-10 - Stratosphere, I wonder?))

7. Derek S

Still suffering with GAS and digging around for multiple choices, I didn't see anything like what you're looking for, pretty much all maple necks/boards on most 22 fret models, Floyd or not. I DID find something grabbing my interest though and ironically it actually HAS an ebony board. I kinda like the raw/natural look of this too as well as most of the specs (especially the C neck!). I'd definitely swap out the black hardware with vintage chrome though as I think natural Charvel's look better with chrome for that original Charvel vibe, even with a dark fret board (ala their old custom shop mahogany San Dimas models for example).

I may grab one of these and toss some upgrades on it since it checks all my boxes and being MIM it's fairly cheap:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Charvel/Pro-Mod-DK24-HH-FR-E-Okoume-Electric-Guitar.gc

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ive played a couple of the fender charvels. they play good to me but NOTHING like the old ones.
    way to many of the old school Charvels around for me to buy a new fender version.
    thats just me though. to me the old Charvels/jackson, kramers, and ibanez cant be beat. they are my
    go to when i need to rip shit up.

9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, these are the closest I could put together.

I would need this 22 fret Ebony neck:
    Pro-Mod San DimasĀ® Style 1 HH FR E
    or this 22 fret Ebony neck:
    Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 1 HH FR E
    To go on this SSS 2PT body:
    Pro-Mod DK22 SSS 2PT CM
    (maybe the will have a HSS 2PT body soon -for 22 fret).

So... I will have to buy two guitars and swap the necks and bodies.
    Looks like I will be doing that, now that it is within range!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  10. Derek S

^^ That will definitely be unique and pretty badass - I don't blame you, I also love "personalizing" guitars a bit to look less dime-a-dozen and more individual...if you go that route you'll certainly have done that! Share the project here if you do it.

I found a DK24 in natural Okoume (which apparently is very similar in looks and density to Mahogany) locally used so I think I'm gonna go grab it this week. I already have all the vintage MIG chrome hardware ready to swap out, even a knob lol, should be a fun little project...I won't go as far as slapping pickup rings on it, figure I'll leave some of the modern vibe as is (recessed trem, direct mounted pups), but it shouldn't look (basically I'll have a poor mans version of this custom shop haha) to far from this when I'm done:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/product...s-mahogany-natural-series-music-zoo-exclusive

ricksdisconnected likes this.