Mesa maverick amp..any opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Buzzard, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Thinking about getting a mint Mesa maverick head. To me and what I’ve read is they were kind of like a vox ac30 on steroids. Similar power section as an ac 30 but different preamp design. Class A el 84 amp.

2. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Mesa but I checked that amp out on the late 90s and loved it. Great cleans. I was a little expensive and heavy though

3. Buzzard

There's 1 demo I've found that sounds killer.Choptones.I'd post it but I'm computer challenged.

4. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I had one for a couple years, the keyword bing "had!" Well built, fantastic reverb, a ton of great sounds, except it will definitely NOT do Marshall sounds!
    It Sounds Like A Boogie!
    Gene

5. Buzzard

That's why I've got one coming.I've got enough marshall's and the maverick is more voxish.I looked into a vox ac 30 h but did'nt like where it was made...but I won't "go there".Plus I like mesas' take on other amp circuits.I have a stilleto deuce 1= marshall and heartbreaker =fender. The amp is mint outside and the only service it's had was to replace all the pots? I'm no amp tech but I've never heard of replacing ALL the pots,may'be problem ones.Also the previous owner took the tube rectifier out and just ran it on silicone diode...weird to me. idk.

6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I've had one for over 20 years.

Very unlike what you'd expect from a Mesa Boogie.