Mesa California tweed

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Buzzard, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Anyone know how close these are to actual vintage fender tweeds? Most of the demos are very clean which is good but how is it driven? Too mushy ? The Fillmore is supposed to be tweed based as well.so... guess I’m not up on fenders

StrummerJoe likes this.
  2. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

The CA Tweed never sounded like a tweed to me, although if set right kinda close.. The Boogie CA Tweed is a pretty clean amp. The power scaling is a cool feature though. The Fillmore can get those tweed sounds and more.

I had a Fillmore 50 for over a couple of years and likd it a lot. Now with this amp people complained that it doesn't do pristine fender cleans, which isn't the point of this amp. It CAN get those cleans, but a lower volumes, not dimed. To me the clean channel with the gain turned up was just fandamntastic! Just the perfect Texas blues type of grit I like. The gain channels are both really good to. No death metal, but plenty of classic to hard rock, and it takes pedals well too - in the front & loop. As a bonus, it has probably the best reverb Mesa has ever done in it, which is the same reverb circuit they use in the CA Tweed.

The CA Tweed is a class act as a pedal platform, but you aren't going to be rockin' without the use of some pedals in front.

I ultimately decided to go with the Fillmore because it was WAAAAAAAY more versatile an amp, and it just bugged the shit out of me that the one finish option you can't get the CA Tweed in is TWEED!!!

Good luck! :2c:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  3. pelican

pelican Member

I would say not at all. It's very compressed. Kinda like a friedman version of a marshall. It's mesa's version of a tweed. That being said the reverb is the best thing about it

StrummerJoe likes this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with Strummer Joe, the CA Tweed is a great amp for a clean amp or pedal platform and will copy or outdo most Fender tones. However the Fender Tweed is not perfect, close though. Although it is a fantastic amp. The Fillmore will do much more with great cleans and crunch. It can be pushed into an excellent distortion with a good drive pedal. One thing I would do is get the 100w version so the cleans have high headroom. Both of these amps are fantastic, playing the CA Tweed I never really wanted to go into heavy distortion, it’s just not it’s thing. Can’t go wrong either way, for me it would be the 100w Fillmore for sure, awesome amp. For the Tweed thing, take a stroll through these.
    http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/american-classics/

StrummerJoe likes this.
  5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

If you want actual tweed tone, the 90s Bassman reissue with the blue alnico Eminence is the one to look for. These Mesa's are fine amps but i can't imagine (pure speculation)them doing the tweed thing. There's different era's of tweed tone too, i played a '54 4x10" Bassman prototype with 2 rectifiers next to a real '59 and they were night and day different, the '59 was way louder and cleaner, i liked the '54 better myself but even then (15 or so years ago) they were stupid expensive.

6. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I spent a couple/few hours with a CA Tweed and while it was a quality package, was not blown away by it's sounds. Out of the five different wattage settings (a "white elephant" in my opinion), only the 40 and 20 watt settings sounded close to each other in character and the other three were simply lack luster a not all that! Many others who have extensively used both the CA Tweed and Fillmore models say that the all the Fillmores will do a better job of all the the CA Tweed will do and quite a bit more. The general trend/consensus is that the 25 watt Fillmore has better overall tone/response than the 50 (when used in 25 watt "triode" mode), butwhen the 50 is used at full power, it really shines! I'm currently quite happy toggling back and forth between my DSL20CR and bone stock (except for pssive effects loop) 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. Both are loaded with Pre-Rola greenbacks!
    Just My :2c:,
    Gene

StrummerJoe likes this.
  7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Fillmore is the shit.