Megadeth's Rust in Peace tone (Bogner thread)

ianbourg

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but the tones that Dave Mustaine was getting during the recording of the album Rust in Peace is some of the best high gain tones I've ever heard. It is known that he used a Bogner Fish preamp and a VHT poweramp of some kind, and primarily used the "brown channel" on the Fish. Something that's also well known about Bonger Fish preamps is they're expensive and rare as hell. So, is there any other amps out there (probably other bogners, no doubt) that could easily get into the 'Rust in Peace-Bogner Fish-brown channel-territory' of high gain tone?

If you want an idea of the tone, just listen to Megadeth-Take No Prisoners (original, instead of the remastered version, of course).

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
This is my fave Megadeth tone & album.

I'm assuming by the "Brown" in the name it's based on a Marshall also Dave used Marshall throughout Megadeth's career, you should be able to nail that tone on a modern Marshall I would say, maybe a DSL, most probably a JVM.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
well he uses Axe fx-ll now but JVM before that I'm no sure what preceded that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Axe FX live, JVM studio.

I'm might get some flak for this, but I wouldn't be surprised if a JCM900 Dual Reverb or SL-X boosted with a Tubescreamer could get close. To be honest, the RiP tone sounds fairly thin to me, and an amp with a ton of focus in the upper mids could get pretty close. A Bogner Alchemist can probably get close too, maybe? They remind me of a Bogner-modded Marshall.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's also true. :lol: I've also heard that the Bogner Fish wasn;t even out yet. The closest thing would be the Halfer Triple Giant.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
well, I heard from a very reliable source that it was a crate blue voodoo!

A4100K

Reaction score
well, I heard from a very reliable source that it was a crate blue voodoo!

Sounds like it!:lol:

Seriously my favorite Megadeth album by far but the tone....not so much.
I can look past it though because of all the ass kickin riffage goin on:shred:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Sounds like it!:lol:

Seriously my favorite Megadeth album by far but the tone....not so much.
I can look past it though because of all the ass kickin riffage goin on:shred:
I agree but the tone is not that bad to me.

A4100K

Reaction score
I mean It's not really terrible but it could have been better imho. I think the tone does work pretty good for Hangar 18 though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I never got the love for the RIP tone. Even in a mix it sounded thin as paper. :ugh:

Countdown had better tone, IMO. Still not good, but was fatter sounding than RiP.

To be honest, Megadeth didn't get a desirable tone until the release of Rude Awakening. That's my favorite sound, to be honest. Saturated, tight, and cuting. :agreed:

SG~GUY

Reaction score
I thought they had pretty good tone on the DIRECT TV thing,..dave is a pretty annoying dude thou..

bman

Reaction score
Duncan loaded Jackson w/a high gain Marshall, mids slightly scooped and gain set to 8 or 3 quarters.

plexi-paul

Reaction score
For high gain tones, this is easily my favorite tone. I'm not a huge fan of the record, mostly the singing. But the tone is fantastic. Super loose/harmonic distortion, lots of thick midrange, lots of cut. Perfect for high gain....at least to my ears.

dreyn77

Reaction score
It's been years since I went for a R.I.P tone, but here's my cryptic writings tone for the DSL amp.
Crunch channel, No deep, scoop yes, b.m.t. '7.8', pres '9', crunch gain '10', ultra 1 gain '5.5', NO reverb.
guitar flying V with super D in neck and bridge.
Unfortunitly I nail marty's tone including the neck pickup sound. dave's sound is speaker influenced. vintage 30's for sure.

THis will become your NEW FAV album cause it's ALOT easier to play along with. You have to be on something to play Rust IN Peace. It's all over the place. I can even nail marties solos without knowing a note on paper.

dreyn77

Reaction score
I've been using the 5150 greenback cab and the 100k celestion cab. If I had the DM cab, I would! ;)
I should have bought that cab!! :(
It's now a rare cab.

Ghostman

Reaction score
It's been years since I went for a R.I.P tone, but here's my cryptic writings tone for the DSL amp.
Crunch channel, No deep, scoop yes, b.m.t. '7.8', pres '9', crunch gain '10', ultra 1 gain '5.5', NO reverb.
I'm going to try those settings tonight. :wave:

I can even nail marties solos without knowing a note on paper.

That's a BOLD statement.

dreyn77

Reaction score
You've heard the songs a million times already... ;)
marty is predictable.
he plays a small easy flowing section at one part of the neck and then he leaves that part of the neck (most of the time) and plays another nice sounding easy flowing tune/melody in another part of the neck. then he repeats this moving around trick over and over record after record.
he likes to add in a few notes that aren't standard (so you need to play in standard lazy boy guitar technique for a while before playing martys stuff)
It's kinda a complex version of slash's playing. slash plays a lick and then needs to jump over to the high 'e' string and 'of course' add in a string bend. but he never goes for a standard high note, he drops down a tone and bends it.
which is what gave him the 'lazy guitarist's tone and feel' which is what he's famous for.
which is SO NOT randy rhoads who would always go for the much higher note and bend it around.

SOmetimes dave is totally lazy with his solos he just does an old blues technique where he stays in the one fingerboard pattern.
just listen to the solo first and workout if the solo moves all over the fingerboard, ala marty or whether it's just in one spot on the finger board, with a few squeals, etc...

I use to listen and watch some buskers every day and after a month i asked them a question about their songs and they answered, "Dude, by now you should KNOW EVERY NOTE we play."

So I went away and learned note pitch for myself and personal entertainment.

Pickout a distinctive note from marty's playing and workout where he's played it on the fingerboard. there's only one location where that note's specific tone is achieved.

I'm not trying to make the best tone out of the DSL amp. I'm trying to match the home stereo sound so it's really close.
some might say it's a strange way of making a sound.

I've had so much fun it lasts me all week! ;)

I spent years getting annoyed playing along to the basics of R.I.P.
Now dave feely says the tab (which is what I was using of years) is WRONG.
When I watch him play, i can see the tab is wrong too.

there's only so many ways you can put your fingers on the fingerboard.

once you find a tone that's close for you, the notes start revealing themselves.