Mc1 mullard 12ax7

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by Sg-ocaster, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

I'm looking for a mc1 Blackburn mullard 12ax7.....no noise/ microphonic problems decently strong testing for a spare V1 for one of my amps.
    Don't care about silkscreen or boxes or prettyness.
    Anyone got one for sale/trade?? I hate to hit ebay as that's all ways hit or miss....made big scores then big losses on there.

2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Inspired by my post in the preamp tube topic lol?

3. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Not asking for much then.......

4. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

Nah lol......got my only one in V1 of one of my favorite amps...bought it back in the tested strong mc1 for $50 days.......been putting off getting a spare and now realize I may have to take out a home equity loan to get one in 2020...lol.....seen a bad one on eBay for $65...:wtf: they are stupid now and only about 10 on there.....
    If I can't get one I may pull mine and bubble wrap it for recording and use an I63 just for normal play. Brent jessee has some test nos for like close to $300 .....gotta really think about that one.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

I’ve got a stash of vintage Mullard and Brimar ecc83’s

message me if you want to buy any

Attached Files:

6. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

mCN deltaD, mCN deltaM, mCN deltaN, mCN =/Y, mC1 B7H, mC2 delta7A, mC5 N7H, mC5 delta7K

20200716_195207_copy_1032x774.jpg

mAx___ likes this.
  7. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

Mc1 b7h for sale by any chance?:hmm:

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm truly hoping that the Great British Valve Project makes headway and starts making new tubes soon. And I'm hoping for ECC83s built on original Mullard tooling as one of the first products. And that they are worthy.

If you are not aware of the Great British Valve Project, you SHOULD be.

They're working to try to bring back tube production to British soil. Making the tube types that matter most to us. On original Mullard Blackburn tooling.

https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/great-british-valve-project-2/

jeffb, jmp45, Headache and 2 others like this.
  9. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Looks like a great initiatiative. Not something to do mass production but for historical purposes.

I have a Maxi Preamp II tester currently crossing the Atlantic. I need to test my inventory before decide what to do. Need to find a quantitative way to evaluate microphonics, it measures noise in dBm so need to tap them all equally so compare how far the tubes may swing out before being considered non, minor, major microphonic.

10. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

More essential viewing,

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  11. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member

Really cool documentary!

12. Matthews Guitars

They'll be able to produce enough for our market. If they can make WORTHY tubes, they'll become the premium tube of choice.

In fact, the part that could be at issue is that this sort of tube production lends itself to CONTINUOUS production. That sort of production machinery is optimized for being in constant use, and not used to run small batches. They may end up running a year's supply of a specific tube type in just a matter of a few shifts.

The tube market is TINY compared to what it was in 1965. And that equipment was built to handle production volume that met the needs. But there was a lot more equipment in use, too. All the tube manufacturers had big factory floors and HUNDREDS of machines cranking out tubes and as I gather it, they ran 24/7 because of the start-up/warmup times.

The plant facilities have to provide air, vacuum, fuel for gas torches, electricity, water for machine cooling, possibly, and maybe even hydraulics to many of the machines operating. With so much equipment to operate and maintain, keeping it running is probably the most efficient way to go.

jmp45 likes this.
  13. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Thats the difficult part. They need to build experience with tools made for massive throughout. And why does a Heerlen/Danmark Philips mC1 sounds different than a blackburn mC1? If it has to do with plate or cathode materials used, good luck finding the same.

14. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

And they do sound different...imo amperex has always been the most harmonic of any tubes....were as mullard has a certain 3d and sweet compression....bluesy if you will.......allot of the old tubes used toxic now illegal heavy metals....so I doubt the new generation will sound the same....but same plate structure and bottle will probably get some of the originals attributes.....but not ALL

15. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Active Member

Another great 12AX7 if you can get one is the Hamburg manufactured
    tube. So very nice!!!!
    Here are 3 of them all from 1956, all have a "D6" code, despite
    what the labels show, as the country of origin.
    If you see a D then you know it was made in Hamburg.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Matthews Guitars

No toxic materials need to be incorporated into any tube that's of interest to us. While the silvering on the getter patch could sometimes be Beryllium, which is nasty stuff, and if you've smelled freshly broken tubes you PROBABLY know that flinty metallic smell (which probably took a few seconds off your ultimate lifespan), then you know what that smells like. But barium can be used for getter patches and it's non toxic and some medical procedures have you drinking barium compounds or taking a barium enema, so that's not a concern. The other materials used in tubes are for the most part of minimal or no hazard. Nickel, iron, copper, mica, and leaded glass. A little indium on the pins for the glass seals. Pins are usually steel. The cathode is nickel tubing coated with barium oxide. The filament is tungsten wire. The grids are usually molybdenum wire. Plates are usually either nickel or steel. Sometimes copper. Some tubes have a graphite plate, for some very high power tubes. It's used for its ability to retain its form and dissipate lots of heat at red hot temperatures.

Any toxic material substitutions would not be anything that would affect tonal properties.

The British Valve Project has lots of volunteers who are practicing and learning the tasks. Glass blowing, lead forming, sealing, shaping glass tubes into envelopes, every task needed. I'm sure that their instructor cadre consists in part of alumni of the tube factories.

If I lived in England I'd be beating on their door to volunteer my services.

I suspect that the project could make good use of examples of the various tube types that they will hopefully be making. If you have some worn out Mullard tubes, consider contacting the project and ask them if they could use them for manufacturing analysis purposes.

17. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member

Some of my more interesting ones. I have some newer ones in a different drawer than these.
    4-V.jpg 2-V.jpg B-V.jpg

18. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

I dunno....i still think it is wishful thinking that mullard and amperex will be available again......yea certain chemicals can be substituted......but again change the recipe and change the tone......and I65 amperex and I63 mullard sound different and an I61 is yet another variation of mullard....they all LOOK identical....whats the difference...most likely plate coating recipes and vacuum levels................New good sounding tubes may come out of this.....but the heyday of the true philips tubes and their tones I think is a by gone era.
    Not to mention competing with new sensor and shuaguang and jj for a stake in a niche market may prove short lived......back in the day tube suppliers biggest customer was the military who is all ss and digital now.Medical equipment,radios,tv's everything was tube.......now it's guitar amps and hifi receivers....and radio transmitters. Out of the guitar world half of the guys are happy with current production as long as there is 6 gain stages cascaded in there recto/distorto gain monster amp.....so that leaves old school rock guitar players hifi and transmitters.....then the labor cost of maintaining a tube factory in a free market vs china......i doubt skilled volunteers will stay volunteers once tubes start selling....unless it's some sort of profit sharing agreement.....but hey I hope for the best.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  19. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  20. Matthews Guitars

The project has original Mullard machinery and tooling and (presumably) the knowledge and assistance of some surviving Mullard employees, so I think they have a very good chance of making some worthy tubes. Only time will tell. And, yes, I do think that the volunteers, at least the better, more reliable ones, will become employees as soon as the project starts making enough revenue that issuing paychecks is practical. I can guarantee you that if they simply start making tubes on British soil, and they are simply as good as what we can get now, I'll buy all my tubes ONLY from them as a measure of my support for the project.

In fact, they sell tubes today, under the Brimar name, but they're made in the existing Russian factories. I'd still buy tubes from them to support the project.