Maxon OD9 w. MXR fullbore metal into DSL40CR

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by AdrianDSL, Nov 11, 2020.

1. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Member

Been lurking around for some time, be a good time now to ruin it with my first post, so here it is :) First of all, many thanks to a lot of folks here for their very informative posts & insights, good on youse.
    Midlife crisis, back into playing after ~26-28years, but it's good fun, something I've been missing all along. Experimenting with sounds using the collection of gear I've got at the moment, I found it really heartening I could get some VERY good tone from the fullbore metal, vastly different from the hated can of bees sound one usually gets from it. The chain is:
    Superstrat with Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (Alnico 2, very musical pickup!) -> Boss NS2 -> Maxon OD-9 AnalogMan -> Fullbore -> DSL40CR OD1. Both Maxon and MXR used as boosts. Also using BOSS GE7 in the effects loop to cut a bit of bass and bump the high mids slightly.
    Sounds very, very brutal, yet very tight for riffs with the OD1 gain set to 1 o'clock and the volume at 3 o'clock respectively and the master really low for bedroom playing. At higher volumes rolling back the gain is probably a good idea. Attached 2 photos with the pedals & amp settings. Very early '90s metal sound, Pantera like, without the piercing highs. My tinnitus affected ears like it, YMMV. All the best.
    20201112_131733_2.jpg 20201112_131709_2.jpg

2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Welcome to the MF @AdrianDSL :welcome:
    Lurk no more!

You are choosing a great 'Mid-life crisis' route IMHO.
    But I hadn't realised up until now that the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone had a rival for the 'Most Hated Pedal' title.
    After a scooch around YT, I see now that the MXR Fullbore Metal is a contender!

So, being an MT-2 user, I wondered if you have tried the MXR plugged directly into the FX Return (i.e. as THE preamp).
    I tried my MT-2 both ways and preferred it straight into the FX Return of my VS65R, bypassing the amp's preamp.

My pedalboard is set up with a Boss LS-2 Line Selector as the first pedal.
    Loop A is LS-2 > OD pedals > Amp input > FX Send > LS-2
    Loop B is LS-2 > MT-2 > NS-2 > LS-2.
    The LS-2 output then feeds into my TBEs > RC-3 > FX Return.
    That means I can switch between ODs + VS65R preamp, or MT-2 + noise gate.

20200822_135750 crop-1900.jpg

My DSL40CR is used in MIDI switching 4CM to a Boss GT-100, so a very different setup there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Member

Thanks Sky. Very nice pedalboard there, like the idea of using the line selector to split the channels :) I'm thinking about getting a BOSS MS-3 myself for channels switching down the track, but at the moment I'm mostly spending my playing time on OD1 and OD2, with or without the "can of bees" so I can't justify its existence just yet. I've used the MXR in front as well as in the effects loop of a VOX amp, it sounded very good in the loop and completely rubbish in front. Not a bad idea to test it in the effects loop of the DSL40, thanks for that :)

SkyMonkey likes this.
  4. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

dude, they are almost my exact settings! I don’t use any overdrives or anything to boost the front end though. I have an MXR mini booster in my loop for a volume boost.

5. SkyMonkey

There is an important difference between 'In the Loop' and 'Into the Return'.
    To test the pedal as a preamp you need to eliminate the other preamp.
    If the pedal is connected to the Send and Return (i.e. 'In the Loop') the DSL preamp and EQ boost colours the pedal gain and tone.
    If you connect the guitar to the pedal and then the pedal 'Into the Return' you get pure pedal as the preamp.
    That is where the LS-2 (or an MS-3) comes into its own.
    The DSL preamp is connected up to the LS-2 as if it is a 'pedal' too, and you switch between the 'DSL pedal' and the 'MT-2 pedal'.
    Each LS-2 loop then feeds from the LS-2 into the FX Return.
    That is essentially how the 4 Cable Method works too.
    Your amps preamp becomes a 'pedal' looped into the multi effect unit or a pedal board.

I tried the MT-2 'In the Loop' too (Send and Return) and it was terrible.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  6. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Member

Been experimenting a bit more in the last couple of days with the fullbore metal and, to my ears, the results are like this:
    - In front of the amp: bad, with and without the OD9.
    - In the Send - Return loop: sounds great with the above dials settings. Great compressed metal tone. Gets fizzy and a bit boomy without the OD9.
    - In the Return: sounds bad without the OD9, ok-ish with the OD9 and the gain between 11-2 o'clock, but there's still a bit of that characteristic fizziness.
    At the moment I've settled on Guitar -> NS2 send -> OD9 -> NS2 return -> amp, sounds lovely. The Maxon is powered at 12V and adds more depth, more mids, riffs are tighter and the lead tone just sings. In saying that, I prefer to have to have it on for both rhythm and lead.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Not exactly my favorites but i have always been able to find good, useable sounds in those "metal" pedals, and i don't really play metal. I'm thinking alot of hatred comes from misuse or just unwillingness to spend the time to learn them.

8. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener. Silver Supporting Member

9. SkyMonkey

I just learned today that with the MS-3 you can set which Program Change number (PC#) is sent when you select a patch.
    That means you are not tied to the 1,2,3,4,etc. numbering automatically assigned to most multi effect unit footswitches.
    Therefore you can have an entire bank of Classic Clean patches, or any mix of the 4 DSL40CR channels!
    An MS-3 is looking ever more tempting.
    I may have to trade in my GT-100 at some point, as I never use the expression pedal or looper anyway.

10. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Member

Excellent information Sky, thanks for that, good on you :) At the moment the MS-3 is on the back burner, the budget has suffered a bit of a hit cause I just saw a very decently priced Jackson Performer PS-4 at a Cash Converters shop here and brought it home earlier today. Chucked in a spare Floyd Rose 1000 Series I had lying around, swapped the buckers with a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and '59 for the neck, cleaned up the pots and the switch, good Sunday project. Took me ages to do the intonation but now the guitar plays well (boy I love Jackson necks!), feels nice overall and the bonus: the JB sounds brilliant through the Maxon OD9 pushing the DSL-40CR! I didn't think I'll ever be able to say that, but the JB sounds really tight in the bass now and the leads are singing. If I go straight into the amp it sounds shrill and loose, but with the overdrive everything changes for good.
    The more I play, the more I love my Marshall and I've now discovered the JB can sound fantastic as a bridge pickup in a high gain setting, yay!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. SkyMonkey

Never had a Jackson, but I am a confirmed Charvel addict (old and new - see sig.).
    My San Dimas has the JB/'59 set installed too.
    If you can wire in a coil split, the JB/'59 buckers can do sweet single tones too.