Marshalls in the U.S. in 1967!?

Reaction score
Hi, all, I need your historical expertise ...

So the first Marshalls may have come across the pond from England around April 1967 when Cream played its first U.S. date in NYC. Then we have the Jimi Hendrix Experience playing for the first time in the U.S. at Monterey in June -- a well documented Marshall event! Cream was back in the fall for a U.S. tour using Marshall stacks. The Who also toured the U.S. in '67 but was using Vox.

Meanwhile, it seems unclear whether Jim Marshall had inked a deal with Unicord by this time in 1967 for U.S. distribution (He definitely had Rose-Morris in England). The U.S. distribution deal may have been 1968. His own account in his book and other sources are vague on the exact timing.

So my question: Is there a record or any evidence of who was selling and who was buying Marshall amps in the U.S. in 1967? Was it only Manny's in NYC, or other famous shops? And do we know at all how many Marshalls were exported to the U.S. that year?

I'm very curious because I have a mid '67 Super Bass (photos in my other post) with a polarity switch, which I believe means it was sold in the U.S. I just can't get any sense of the market here during that year. And it'd be super cool to know a little bit about the amp's history. Generally, from what I can tell, Blue Cheer (first album 1968) and the MC5 didn't buy Marshalls until they saw the English acts touring, and they were pioneers in the U.S. Any thoughts or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Allegedly, it was actually Roy Orbison who brought the first marshall stacks to the US. Says so in the Doyle book. Now, he wasn't diming them and hitting them in the face with a Fuzzface turned all the way up, exactly....

Reaction score
Allegedly, it was actually Roy Orbison who brought the first marshall stacks to the US. Says so in the Doyle book. Now, he wasn't diming them and hitting them in the face with a Fuzzface turned all the way up, exactly....
Right, I saw a post with the Orbison photos. Very interesting. I would guess the English bands really started demand in the U.S. though. But maybe people here were buying 100-watt heads before Cream and Monterey?

shakti

Reaction score
I don't think that this video answers the OP questions but ~ This is from an April 7 1967 Norwegian TV recording of the legendary Stax/Volt Revue European tour of that year.

The Marshalls in that recording belonged to Norwegian band The Vanguards, who bought them in the UK.

I’ve written about it before, and I believe I own one of the tall bottom cabs seen in these clips.

Of course, this doesn’t answer the question of when Marshalls were first imported into the US, but the ones in these clips didn’t come from the US.

BTW I also own a ‘65 block logo pinstripe 4x12 which I believe was originally bought in Norway. In which case it should be the earliest Norway-bought Marshall as far as I am aware. I’ve seen the matching amp (doesn’t belong to me) and it doesn’t have an importer badge, but according to what I’ve been told it has been in Norway from the start.
I do have a late ‘66 (or early 67) JTM45 with block ends which has the Norwegian importer badge, but pre-67 Marshalls are rather rare in Norway.

Last edited:

Ned B

Reaction score
I have a Super Trem from the same time period as Travis'. Mine also has the narrow power cap board with the caps vertically mounted. Mine may be even a tad earlier since it has the Bulgin port and window serial number. I believe Paul K was using a '67 3 switch 100W with Free. I recall seeing it on a number of videos. Maybe the polarity wasn't just for the US export amps.

Attachments

• 039-10122-17 Marshall Model 1959T 100W 1967.JPG
    039-10122-17 Marshall Model 1959T 100W 1967.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 039-10122-19 Marshall Model 1959T 100W 1967.JPG
    039-10122-19 Marshall Model 1959T 100W 1967.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 17

TAZIN

Reaction score
I have a Super Trem from the same time period as Travis'. Mine also has the narrow power cap board with the caps vertically mounted. Mine may be even a tad earlier since it has the Bulgin port and window serial number. I believe Paul K was using a '67 3 switch 100W with Free. I recall seeing it on a number of videos. Maybe the polarity wasn't just for the US export amps.

Super Tremolo 10068 is also a Polarity switch model but has a Bulgin socket for the power cord. Can't tell from the photos I have whether the socket is original to the amp or not. It's setup the same as your amp (transformers, narrow filter cap board, window sticker serial #, etc.,) and the head shell has a narrow vent. It appears to date from March - April 1967.

Ned B

Reaction score
After a little more research it looks like around April 1967 Marshall started to assemble amplifiers to meet specific safety requirements for certain regions of the globe.

That makes sense.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I don't think that this video answers the OP questions but ~ This is from an April 7 1967 Norwegian TV recording of the legendary Stax/Volt Revue European tour of that year.

I absolutely love that video of those guys, my favorite. Duck Dunn is so obviously possessed by the "Demon Of The Groove!" He was such a great bass player! I'm one of those wierd guys who believes that, as much as we love playing our guitars, the bass, drums and vocal lines are the real key to all great songs and sounds. A really great sounding bass rig, playing a great groove is the best effects device I've ever encountered, to make my guitar sound great! Guitar, keys and all that "other stuff" is simply the "sprinkles" on top of the fabulous ice cream sundae of bass, drums and vocals!

Just Marshallin'
Gene

neikeel

Reaction score
That one on Reverb looks like a 68 as it has the Dagnall C1998 OT. Had loads of work done to it (all in a professional sort of way to make it seriously giggable) with filttering and preamp voicing mods. I like that it still has its original headcab included.
Interesting to see Dawk stamps on it. Did he do his own work or for other people or just RB?

junk notes

Reaction score
I do not think I have noticed a 10 series with a laydown. Late 11 series perhaps, but most 12s I have seen are laydown. Sure does resemble a 68, @neikeel .

Reaction score
Very cool amp!

Latest posts