Marshall vs100 Popping/cracking

Zcsc96

Reaction score
Hey so I just bought a Marshall vs100 head the seller said it had loud buzz but when I turned it on it wasn't bad until the pre-amp tube warmed up I would turn the volume up (on any channels) then the sound from cab would pop really really loud and cut out for a few seconds and come back on and pop then come back on, I swapped the mesa tube that he said he swapped out to have made it sound better with the jj12ax7 tube and it doesn't pop in the overdrive channels but the clean channel still pops and cuts out like its distorted any ideas where should I start looking? Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey so I just bought a Marshall vs100 head the seller said it had loud buzz but when I turned it on it wasn't bad until the pre-amp tube warmed up I would turn the volume up (on any channels) then the sound from cab would pop really really loud and cut out for a few seconds and come back on and pop then come back on, I swapped the mesa tube that he said he swapped out to have made it sound better with the jj12ax7 tube and it doesn't pop in the overdrive channels but the clean channel still pops and cuts out like its distorted any ideas where should I start looking? Thanks.
Try another known good preamp tube, and spray a bit of deoxit on a rag and wipe the pins.
I am no tech but this might be the problem, a dirty socket!
Cheers to getting your amp back on its feet.
Mitch

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Welcome to the MF @Zcsc96 :welcome:

As @Mitchell Pearrow said, try something like Deoxit spray in the tube socket and on the pins.
Though I am not sure if the lubricant in Deoxit will be a help or hinderance.
I used a WD40 Contact Cleaner (no lubricant) on my VS65R socket when I changed the tube to a JJ ECC83S.
Deoxit is very good for cleaning pots, where a residual amount of lubricant from the cleaner is needed to prevent track wear.

According to the VS100 manual the tube is part of the circuit in both the clean and OD channels, so a dirty socket could be the problem.