Marshall SV20H vs SC20H vs 2525H vs DSL20HR

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Jun 18, 2020.

1. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Interesting. Great demo btw - really showed the charcters of the amps. When I tried the jubilee combo I hated it - just boxy sounding. But I saw another demo where I thought it was the best. Here for me it's the SV or the DSL. Unsurprising as I have a DSL. The DSL has enough gain the knock the edges off the sound and sweeten it a little but in a good way. The SV is gnarly. Also in a good way.

2. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I have both the 800 and the Jubilee. The SV20 is my next one. I had the Origin and it didn't do it for me. It sounded more modern and not vintage at all. Not even faking it. It didn't respond like I hoped it would. I also have a DSL1H and it cranks. I know I want the plexi. Its the tone I have sought after for years. All of these small heads are good. I hope to get the SV sometime soon. The prices are a little steep though. They keep creeping up on Reverb and nobody wants to budge on the price. I wouldn't pay more than $900 for any of them. Yes they are good but they are PC board not hand wired. I am pissed that the Origin was $300ish and the others are $1000 plus. There is not much in the middle. It is a chunk of change to fork out. I am thankful they finally made these after waiting 20 years. My dreams did come true.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Guitarjon like this.
  3. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Great review, with excellent recording that captures what each amp can do in all the modes.
    I'm sure the other three are "better" , but I'm happy with the DSL20HR so far.
    For the price it's a great value. I didn't realize how loud these 20 watters could be, I can push two 4x12's , volume on 3, and it's very loud. I would think on 4 or 5 and it could easily keep up with any drummer/band situation.
    The 20HR has a nice clean channel, and the crunch channel is very fat/thick sounding.
    It has a voicing that I heard in the videos, and it is the same in real life, similar to the 100H, But the 100H is tighter.

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitarjon like this.
  4. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

Username checks out! :)

Jubilee23, Sustainium and Guitarjon like this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@Guitarjon

Great video Jon, professional production as always! Superb playing and my kind of music too! I especially like the way you show what amps can do, from clean to crunch and then more overdriven tones. You don't just chug away,..djent, djent, djent,...like many do.

I liked the SC20 and the SV20 the best of the four. It's amazing how alike the SC, SV, and Jub can sound, especially in the mix. I Always enjoy your music, your playing and your production.

(On another note Jon, you've lost quite a bit of weight man, what's your secret buddy)?

6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Thanks! I appreciate the comments!

I lost 30kg in about 5 months and I did that by doing the Keto diet and intermittent fasting. Also some cycling but nothing radical. This diet has changed my life! I recommend it to anyone who wants to lose weight.

7. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the great comparison video John, looks like things are going well for you. I’m a fan of all the amps mentioned.

Guitarjon and tce63 like this.
  8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Workingout 30 year's now diet is key high protein and low fat. Saturday night little alcohol and that:)

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitarjon like this.
  9. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

There are various ways of staying healthy/losing weight. In my case high fat and 0 carbs seems to do the trick but I know that other people have also succeeded with high carbs, no meat and low fat etc.

10. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

What's the main difference between the Studio Classic vs Silver Jub

tce63 likes this.
  11. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I’m not in a place where I can watch that vid right now, but holy Moses that LE Jube looks amazing! Where did you get that?

tce63 likes this.
  12. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  13. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

had the jube also combo version it was good but later wanted the SC roar and I like it better. Cutting tones:)

solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  14. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

Most don't ever use that pull rythem clip. If anyone knows how to demo the Mini Jub, you just don't use it. On the lead channel without the rythem clip, it's a much beefier tone and sounds just way better. But he never demoed that at all. Very disapointed.

tce63 likes this.
  15. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

do you have the SC combo now or the head with a cabinet. Becuase the Jub combo comes with Greenback. The original combo's came with vintage 30's . Sound way better.

tce63 likes this.
  16. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

that's because the Jub combo comes with a Greenback speaker. It needs a Vintage 30 speaker like the original combos.

tce63 likes this.
  17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

combo

tce63 likes this.
  18. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Other than the V-type speaker, it could be in the way that they are designed to project.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  19. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I played around with different back panels on a blackstar combo once. Made quite a bit of difference. Never sounded like I liked though. It's gone.

Looking at the rear of the SV it looks like there's plenty of room for a 12 incher in there.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.